DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Brake pad warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mudhen

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
Brake pad warning

Hi guys,

We recently picked up an '05 Disco3 (our 4th Disco) and last week the brake pad warning lit up. I thought the worst and immediately started pricing up all the pieces I would need. Found your site here and was thrilled with the amount of info!!! AWESOME!!!

Before I purchased the rotors I thought I'd see just how worn they were...hmm...well above spec. Wait...everything in there looks new! When I pulled the rear wheel off I saw the warning sensor hanging loose. When I push it back in it doesn't hold tight at all...just falls out again.

So my questions - is there a way to test that it's the one causing the warning? For fun I threw a meter on it and tested resistance...definitely a complete circuit through it (isn't that the way it should be?). I thought maybe if I just unplugged it the warning would go off - but that didn't happen. Does it need to be reset somehow? I couldn't care less about having the warning about when the pads are worn down...can I just open the wires up and twist them together?

Thanks a lot!

Pat
Maine, USA

Post #69544521st Sep 2010 7:11 pm
scootay2k5

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

am i right in thinking that once the warning has gone off it will have to be removed with a diagnostics kit, i had a bump in my last car and it set the airbag light off due to the jolt in the seatbelts and this could only be removed by the diagnostics kit. i may be wrong though so dont quote me ha

Post #69544721st Sep 2010 7:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
roveribis

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

I have the same problem, and did the same debugging....
I ordered the Faultmate FCR, once I get it, I will try to reset this fault.
 -------------------
2008 LR3
ARB bumper, winch, sealed Snorkle, dual battery, Rover Specialties sliders, whole car custom skid plates, 33" tires, ARB air compressor, CB radio, etc... 

Post #69545121st Sep 2010 7:22 pm
Fogga

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

When i had a broken brake pad sensor, I just replaced it and the error was gone. No need for any diagnostic tool.

Post #69547421st Sep 2010 8:02 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Once the Warning light is illuminated on the dash, it means the pads have worn sufficiently so that the warning sensor now comes into contact with the disc (US term is Rotor).

Now all you need to do is replace the Pads and sensor cable. The warning light will disappear once the circuit is insulated in the new SENSOR cable.

obviously check the Discs (rotors) for excessive wear, if ok just replace the above. Sensor cables are only fitted to the Front N/S/L and Rear O/S/R in the Uk. ROW spec I would imagine the sensor cables are placed identical

Post #69548321st Sep 2010 8:09 pm
roveribis

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3

I have to do some more debugging. I did install a new sensor and pads... All connections were triple-checked. Makes sense that once the circuit is complete, the light should turn off....
 -------------------
2008 LR3
ARB bumper, winch, sealed Snorkle, dual battery, Rover Specialties sliders, whole car custom skid plates, 33" tires, ARB air compressor, CB radio, etc... 

Post #69549721st Sep 2010 8:27 pm
Mudhen

MacLeod 313 wrote:
Once the Warning light is illuminated on the dash, it means the pads have worn sufficiently so that the warning sensor now comes into contact with the disc (US term is Rotor).

Now all you need to do is replace the Pads and sensor cable. The warning light will disappear once the circuit is insulated in the new SENSOR cable.

obviously check the Discs (rotors) for excessive wear, if ok just replace the above. Sensor cables are only fitted to the Front N/S/L and Rear O/S/R in the Uk. ROW spec I would imagine the sensor cables are placed identical

Everything in my setup is new as far as I can tell...my guess is that since the sensor won't hold in place in the pad and is just flopping around, it got damaged. I was hoping there was a way to test it rather than just buying one and finding out it didn't turn the warning lights off.

Now that I think of it, I don't believe the rear sensor fit the pad on my MINI either...and those weren't OEM pads. Maybe these aren't OEM either and that's why the sensor won't stay in place.

Any of you guys have the issue where the sensor doesn't stay in place on the pad?

They're cheap enough, I guess I'll just order one and hope that's the issue.

Pat

Post #69553321st Sep 2010 9:03 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Pics of how to fit it are in the link below Thumbs Up

One for front and one for rear. Sounds like yours has become damaged (did you check the front one too?)

It could be that they re-used the old sensor but had lost the tiny metal clip that keeps it in place. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #69575922nd Sep 2010 11:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mudhen

Bodsy wrote:
Pics of how to fit it are in the link below Thumbs Up

One for front and one for rear. Sounds like yours has become damaged (did you check the front one too?)

It could be that they re-used the old sensor but had lost the tiny metal clip that keeps it in place. Thumbs Up

BINGO! No metal clip...mine was just the plastic. THANKS!

One mystery solved. Will order a new one and hopefully the warning will go out. I googled 'Rover brake pad sensor warning' and found a thread on another site that said the dealer needs to reset it...the person was quoted $60 by their dealer to do it. Hopefully that's not the case.

Pat

Post #69581422nd Sep 2010 2:00 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I can't imagine why it would be any different to all the other D3's out there....

Replace the sensor and all should be well again (check that the front sensor isn't also damaged)
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #69581622nd Sep 2010 2:05 pm
Mudhen

Replaced the sensor today...bada-bing! Light is out, all is well.

THANKS!!

When the warning light came on I thought I was in for a $500us brake job...in the end it cost me $14.

Razz

Whew.

Post #69693025th Sep 2010 8:00 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mr. Green

You see, we told you so..................................The boyz in Blighty teachin again, just as Columbus did. Whistle

Post #69693225th Sep 2010 8:06 pm
Mudhen

MacLeod 313 wrote:
Mr. Green

You see, we told you so..................................The boyz in Blighty teachin again, just as Columbus did. Whistle

LOL....oh, here we go... Rolling with laughter

Thumbs Up

Owning British vehicles is like a tax...one that I pay frequently. Big Cry

Post #69697325th Sep 2010 10:27 pm
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, what does brake pad warning look like? - is it orange or red and does it stay on all the time? Only reason I ask is replaced front pads/discs at about 33K and rear pads at 36, because told they needed doing. I never saw any dashboard warning. Now coming up to 65, so expect fronts need doing - does warning only come on when very close to the metal?

Post #69820229th Sep 2010 4:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >