Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Brakes - wear and replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DonFromCanada

2011 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeLR4
Brakes - wear and replacement

I started getting a squeaking from the rear right side.. it would go away if I lightly pressed the brakes... Now theres a constant grinding.. been going on two days, and I finally got the chance to have a look at it..

The rotor on the one side is badly grooved (second picture) on the inner half of the rotor. First picture is the other rear rotor.

So, looks like I need to redo the brakes..
Parts-wise, I need two rotors, a set of retainer clips, rotor locator screws, pads and a wear sensor...

What I'm worried about is that these are just symptoms of a calliper issue, and if I replace the parts, the problem will persist?

Can someone chime in with experience on this type of issue, and lend an opinion on if I should be planning replacement of the calliper?

Thank you!

Post #165273210th May 2016 2:30 pm
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I had these symptoms on my last D3. progressive squeeking on corners to right racket most of the time. I replaced discs and pads which needed doing and sound got worse as I had to push back the caliper piston to allow for the new pad width, turned out it was a sticking corroded caliper piston. I dismantled it and could see corrosion and rather than changing just the piston, bought a new caliper.
For the sake of a few extra quid (assuming you use a non genuine LR part) get a new caliper and rebuild the corner once rather than likely twice IMO

Good opportunity to change fluid and bleed whilst youre down there
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #165273910th May 2016 2:47 pm
sceh

France 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 4

I would sincerely doubt the caliper but I base this on working on calipers on many cars and old ones too. It looks like the pad itself is shot.
However, I have the same problem on one rear caliper after 15k miles so I bought new pads.
Is changing the pads just like any other car or are there things I need to look out for? I read that some people had problems with ESP and other things after a pad change.

Post #165318411th May 2016 10:01 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Read though the brake bible and it's really straight forward. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #165319111th May 2016 10:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >