Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Breaking my 2005 Discovery 3 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tank65

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Breaking my 2005 Discovery 3 HSE

Hi hope someone can help I need some advise. I have my old d3 sitting at a garage. cam belt went and decided not to fix it, high mileage. ( the engine has not been put back together) I am thinking of taking parts off it and selling them on eBay. Apart from the obvious bits
seats, lights etc. What should I take off to try to recoup some money from it?

Thanks in advance

Ps I’ve got a socket set and some spanner’s

Post #194769424th May 2018 8:19 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Take off everything you can. A few hours willl have the easy fruit off, but lots and lots of meat still on the bones. Lots of demand out there, often for parts where you’ve thought “wonder if that will sell?”, I can hear the vultures stretching their wings from here. Thumbs Up

I got all this off in several hours in the cold of a Norwegian garage yard, with just a socket set and a leatherman. I ran out of time, energy and space in my D4 at about 1:20am (24/24 daylight) and headed home 2,200 miles away. You’ll have more time and able to do things carefully and properly.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I didn’t get many parts from under the bonnet, and as you can see wheel arches, A bar, bumpers, etc, etc, etc. Plus I had to cut stuff out, more car & time could be taken. I also didn’t get the steering wheel, airbag and clockspring as I had no way to make the tool, easily done with a standard wire coat hanger. I didn’t even go under the car (no axle stands or decent jack) so no propshafts, compressor, diffs and the like. Plus she’d just had the gearbox reconned 4,000 miles ago, that would have sold in a heartbeat. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Post #194769724th May 2018 8:27 am
tank65

Thanks for your help how do I get air bag and the door trim off without damaging them
I’m enjoying this what other bits should I remove.

Thanks again

Post #194784124th May 2018 6:41 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

There was a how-to recently on door cards, will have a search. Airbag is really easy with a bent bit of metal, will also search for.
Re what to take out, you’d be amazed what you can recover. I ended up with mine looking like this internally but I’d run out of space in the D4.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

With time and space you’d be able to take out all that I did, plus seats, dash, airbags, basically anything that can be unplugged easily. Remember these things just clipped in during manufacture, they just unclip to remove. If the bits I was after didn’t unplug I just cut the cables with the seatbelt cutter on my leatherman, I wasn’t recovering the loom so didn’t worry about it. I actually found it thereputic as had settled into the “it’s just a car” mentality after she drove her last.

Post #194784224th May 2018 6:49 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Airbag removal thread, many similar. Search function here and YouTube are your friends.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/steering-wh...ag+removal

Door car removal in https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/attempted-b...=door+card

PS You have an HSE so a lot more toys than my S, so lots of saleable extras like the satnav system, screen, etc. Plus you could recover all the ECUs under the bonnet. Basically aim to just leave a body shell. Just careful of you kill the electrics (I did by removing all the fuses) then closing the lower tailgate, I couldn’t get it open again. Lucking I managed to get the rear lights out with that closed.

PPS read this for how to do a full strip down, and what you can recover. https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/sold-breaki...c+breaking Thumbs Up

Last edited by DSL on 24th May 2018 6:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #194784324th May 2018 6:52 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Del, did you sell the original seat covers that you had? Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Tank-Good luck with the strip down. Well worth it if you have the time & patience. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #194784524th May 2018 6:57 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

No, they are still available. Whistle

Interested? Shocked

Laughing Laughing

Re time and patience, plus lots of help and support here. This is truely a font of knowledge. When I was stripping in Sortland I was able to ask “how the Censored do I get this off?” and I had answers almost immediately. Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #194784624th May 2018 7:00 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Oh, and sage advice from SWMBO, who as CinC logistics, start collecting boxes, Jiffy bags, bubble wrap and other packing stuff like you are obsessed. To those peeps that received car parts from Dark Bluie in wine or Nespresso boxes, I apologise for the disappointment. Laughing Laughing

And shipping for me was almost exclusively Hermes. You won’t be able to do “collection from ******** only” if you want to sell stuff. Their rates have gone up a bit since I did it as bands changed but good for tracking and prices. Thumbs Up

Post #194784924th May 2018 7:08 pm
tank65

Thanks for all your help one last problem. I have no power on the car. how did you get the back lights off with the boot closed?

Post #194875928th May 2018 6:09 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Can you get the rear tailgate up? If so you can easily take the lights out. If upper bit is closed you could take the lower tailgate trim off (brute force) and release the upper tailgate that way. I stupidly shut the lower tailgate when all the leckies had been stripped out to get a better angle on something, thought I’d lost the rear lights but some knowledgable soul here pointed out that I could still get the lights out, just needs a screwdriver. Thumbs Up

Behind the lower tailgate trim is a subwoofer and the tailgate release latch. Trim as shown in middle of last pic above. Thumbs Up

Post #194876428th May 2018 6:14 pm
DannyDisco3HSE

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi, what colour is your disco ? do you have the fuel flap (including the closing catch / push release catch) ? if you do how much please and where are you ? thanks Danny

Post #197632421st Aug 2018 11:07 pm
bellx4

United Kingdom 

Great photos - I’m sure this is just like how a Haynes manual is written! Laughing

Post #197639622nd Aug 2018 9:32 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Can you help with any of the items from this post please?

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1997819.html#1997819

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #19978234th Nov 2018 6:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >