DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Broken compressor?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
tomo

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Broken compressor?

Hi

Replaced my front and rear pads and sensor cables at the weekend thanks to the info in various threads here Thumbs Up

Only problem is, my dad was there while I was doing it and insisted on helping, while I was tightening the wheel nuts on the driver side, he decided to jack the car up on the passenger side (to get it off the axle stand) using the casing covering the compressor! A nasty cracking sound ensued and removal of the cover revealed the aluminium bracket holding the compressor is snapped Evil or Very Mad Ironically, Bodsy warned me about this in another thread, so I was making sure only to jack on the chassis rails - My dad's getting a bit old though bless him and thought the compressor cover was the jacking point, I'll have to put him in a home soon I think Whistle

I have driven the car around at the weekend and the suspension seems fine at all heights. and there are no errors or warnings on the dash, however when you start the car and the compressor kicks it, it makes a lot more noise than it used to. There is no air escaping, I can't see any damage other than to the bracket itself, and I have tried moving the compressor around while it is running to see if the noise is just due to vibration now that the bracket is broken, but the noise remains until the compressor switches off after a minute or two of running.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced something similar and what was done to fix it?

Cheers

tomo
 '05 (55) TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #52021615th Sep 2009 11:43 am
tomo

....forgot to mention - I have got a new bracket - is it easy to replace the existing bracket with a new one? Is there enough play on the pipes to move the compressor unit out and attach it to the new bracket, or do you need to disconnect the pipes to do it?

Cheers

tomo
Post #52021815th Sep 2009 11:47 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Easily done. You need to replace the bracket. DIY with part from TLO or dealer/indie.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #52058816th Sep 2009 1:45 am
tomo

Thanks for the reply caverD3 Thumbs Up I am going to replace the compressor and the bracket. Anyone replaced one of these before? I just pull off the electrics and the hoses to connect the new compressor? Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of?

Many thanks in advance

tomo
Post #52065316th Sep 2009 9:46 am
caverD3

Replied before your second post.

Why are you replacing the compessor, has it stopped working?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #52065916th Sep 2009 10:01 am
tomo

It hasn't stopped working - I haven't noticed anything wrong with the suspension and I have had no warnings on the dash, but the compressor is making a lot more noise than it used to, in fact I don't even remember hearing the compressor at all before, but now when you start the car you hear the compressor kick in and then ir runs for a couple of minutes with a loud humming sound - I have ruled out vibration (due to the broken bracket) as being the cause of this, so it must be something wrong with the actual compressor.

Cheers

tomo
Post #52066116th Sep 2009 10:12 am
caverD3

I would replace the bracket first and see if it is still noisy before shelling out for a new one. Idea
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #52070516th Sep 2009 11:30 am
matt_tdv6

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Have you removed the covers?

You will hear the compressor more if th covers are not on as they are padded well with foam

Post #52071016th Sep 2009 11:36 am
tomo

Hi caverD3, yeah I will try that first definitely - I haven't purchased the compressor yet. I'd just like to know how easy it is to replace the compressor should I need to? Do you simply disconnect the air hoses by pulling them out? Is there anything else I should be aware of, any gotchas?

Hi matt_tdv6, yeah I have had the cover off and on, it's louder with the cover off, but even with the cover on it is really loud - I don't remember hearing the compressor before but now it makes a really loud humming sound when it is running - maybe it's the motor, not too sure, but I don't think it is anything to do with vibration due to the bracket being broken becuase I have been under there moving it around while it is running and it makes no difference to the noise.

Cheers

tomo
Post #52071816th Sep 2009 11:52 am
caverD3

Relatively easy I think. Quick-fit style Voss connectors; push in collar and pull out airline.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0Block.pdf

Ernest Hemmingway

Post #52072816th Sep 2009 12:08 pm
tomo

Excellent! Many thanks caverD3 Thumbs Up
Post #52073216th Sep 2009 12:13 pm
tomo

Final question (hopefully!) - the only bit I am unsure about is:

2 . Using T4, depressurize the air suspension.
For additional information, refer to: Vehicle Dynamic Suspension, 204-05.

and...

5 . Using T4, pressurize the air suspension.
For additional information, refer to: Vehicle Dynamic Suspension, 204-05.

What is T4? Does anyone have: "Vehicle Dynamic Suspension, 204-05" ?

Cheers Thumbs Up

tomo
Post #52073816th Sep 2009 12:21 pm
caverD3

You will need to remove the air T4 is the LandRover computer system can be done via Autologic or BBS.

Others who have done it may have an easier way to depressurize.
Be careful the air is at 240psi Shocked so Eye protection and gloves are a good idea.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #52076016th Sep 2009 1:20 pm
tomo

Thanks again caver, so if I haven't got any of these diags tools is the only way to do this via the dealer or an independant who does have the diagnostics tool?

If there is a danger that I am going to break something else by attempting this myself without the T4 or the Autologic then I'd rather pay Land Rover to do it - unless someone who has done this without the diag tool can tell me otherwise? Smile

Cheers

tomo
Post #52077216th Sep 2009 1:33 pm
caverD3

Unless there is another way to empty the pressure in the lines get someone to do it properly. An indie would be cheaper to fit.
I don't think there is a reason why you couldn't try to install the bracket as I think you can leave the airlines in place.
Anyone actually changed the bracket?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #52077716th Sep 2009 1:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >