Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Broken wheel studs! (It's a long story....)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
aslostasyou

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3
Broken wheel studs! (It's a long story....)

Good day everyone,

I've been battling this problem for a few days now with my poor LR3 sitting in the drive one wheel in the air. I think I'm close to resolution but wanted to run this by a few of you...

PROBLEM:

Several of the wheel studs were snapped off do to repeated tightening with a small shim spacer behind the DII wheels we were running. (Stud was stretched and weakened.) This was only supposed to be temporary however, the correct wheel spacers we ordered from the UK have been stuck in customs.

SOLUTION:

Break down the hub, replace the studs and put it all back together. Not so easy. Wink

My first task was to determine if the studs were the same as a DII/P38 and after much research and self determination I've discovered that they are. Part # FTC2057, I have those on order right now. The problem is that there isn't enough room to punch them and refit new ones. Argh! I could cut them short, knock them out but then that would leave me with no way to get the new ones in.

So, my next task was to figure out how to get the hub assembly apart and I've been told that I need to press this out. (Can anyone comment on the proper process?) And upon pressing this out I will need to also replace the bearings because once they come out they need to be replaced. (Can anyone confirm that?) The refit process is pretty much the same only in reverse.

Put the hub back on the truck refit the connections, e-brake, etc...and I should be off to the races.

If anyone can comment on how they've gone about this with normal tools in the field and access to a basic press I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you very much!

- JPM
 Jason Paul Michaels | Director of Sales and Marketing | Land Rover Lifestyle Magazine
direct. 813-334-7674 offices. 505-979-2338 fax. 888-575-6247

Looking for the latest Land Rover news on the Internet? Checkout - http://www.landroverBLOGroll.com

"We had seen God in His splendors, heard the text that Nature renders. We had reached the naked soul of man." - E.S. 

Post #4761804th Jun 2009 2:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

When others have had broken studs, the only solution was a whole hub assembly, it appears that you can't replace just the stud.........

About 80GBP ISTR from The Large One Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #4761824th Jun 2009 2:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Try this one, should give you what you need to know......
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31433.h...broken+hub
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #4761844th Jun 2009 2:40 pm
aslostasyou

Thanks Bodsy.. From what I gather thus far the studs are exactly the same as DII/P38 studs. All I need to do at this point is seperate the hub from the knuckle and will then be able to drift out the studs and put the new ones in. Maybe I'm on to something here that can be taken for others to use down the road.
 Jason Paul Michaels | Director of Sales and Marketing | Land Rover Lifestyle Magazine

Looking for the latest Land Rover news on the Internet? Checkout - http://www.landroverBLOGroll.com

"We had seen God in His splendors, heard the text that Nature renders. We had reached the naked soul of man." - E.S. 

Post #4761864th Jun 2009 2:50 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yes you can replace the stud without taking the hub off, I have a spare hub/arm assembly in the garage and by turning the flange you can aline it so the stud will push out. (with a bit of a tap)

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #4764644th Jun 2009 11:27 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Bow down Bow down Bow down
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #4764674th Jun 2009 11:33 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thank goodness for that CG, I've just spent 3 evenings changing a wheel bearing on SWMBO's Beemer (hub removal etc, absolute swine of a job Big Cry ), and it's MINISCULE, compared to a D3 hub. Thumbs Up

Post #4764734th Jun 2009 11:45 pm
aslostasyou

Fantastic CG! Did you remove the dust shields? Or, maybe they're not standard on a TDV6 D3? It's dark here now but tomorrow you can bet I'm going to check this out on my LR3 and provide feedback!

, JPM

Post #4764895th Jun 2009 3:00 am
aslostasyou

Also CG, that's a front right right? Do you have a rear sitting around by chance? I think the clearance on the rear isn't as forgiving.

Post #4764905th Jun 2009 3:20 am
aslostasyou

Just thought I'd share with everyone since this is finally over. Smile

In the end it turns out that part # FTC2057 (DII/P38 wheel stud) is the same stud found on the LR3. For the front it was an easy job to replace in the driveway. Just broke down the hub assembly and knocked them out.

On the rear though, as you know, I had to remove everything and take the hub assembly still pressed in the knuckle to the dealer. They're pressing them apart, installing the new bearings and studs and putting them back together. Once complete I'll reassemble and be on the road again.

So, it is possible to replace studs on an LR3. Cost of studs was about $50, bearings were around $150, labor at the dealer should be about $150 and my time of course.

Cost of new hubs w/ studs and bearings all the way around would have been around $700 and would still require my labor. Quite a savings...

Oh and FWIW I decided to remove the dust shields all the way around.

- JPM

Post #48181715th Jun 2009 3:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >