Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
Still stupid, eager, fit and attractive..... I couldn't believe my eyes

Whistle

Post #21609117th Oct 2007 3:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andrew van den Heever

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Sorry mobyone, I see you "cut" and polished the bonnet. What sort of product did you use for the cutting, and what equipment. I have never attempted such a thing so I think I will stick with a professional company, but I am interested, in case I have a smaller area to do in the future (-no f...er is ever washing my car again!) Big Cry

Post #21609317th Oct 2007 3:23 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

DW, no idea where you got that from...... Whistle Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #21609917th Oct 2007 3:41 pm
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

[quote="Andrew van den Heever"]Thanks for all the input guys.
mobyone; my lettering is also a bit scratched, but not too bad. What did you do about your paint apart from waxing it?
quote]

Andrew, I used the smallest amount of rubbing compound (A8108005 Meguiars Cleaner - Fine Cut) or any similar stuff that restores dull paint. Can I suggest that before you try cutting, you use heaps of wax first to see if that does the trick as most light scratches will come out with 2 applications. The trick is not to rub the decals as the colour will come off.

Good luck... Thumbs Up
Moby
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #21624118th Oct 2007 1:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

mobyone wrote:
Can I suggest that before you try cutting, you use heaps of wax first to see if that does the trick as most light scratches will come out with 2 applications.

Hi Moby,
Just to clarify, you should use polish not wax.....polish is slightly abrasive (although a lot less than cutting compound) so will have some use in removing the scratches if they're very fine.

Wax would just fill the scratches in for a week or two, but wouldn't solve the problem.

Andrew,
If you can get hold of Meguirs stuff in your neck of the woods, then that'll work fine. Just stay away from the "no-name" super-car-wax-polish-paint-renovator-all-in-one-for-2-dollars polishes.....they won't help you at all.

Cheers, Thumbs Up
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Last edited by PaulP on 18th Oct 2007 8:07 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #21626818th Oct 2007 7:44 am
Andrew van den Heever

South Africa 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks Mobyone, you have been a great help. I didn't know that the colour would come off the Landrover lettering! Do any of the SA boys know if this Meguirs stuff is available here?

You know I really can live with scratches on my Disco. You know the side scratches from bushes and low trees, but those are MY scratches and show that I use the car for what it was designed to do. Thumbs Up I am not a "Bling-meister", but heaps of ugly scratches all over the front of my new vehicle inflicted by some ignorant asswipe are not acceptable!! Big Cry

This website and forum is absolutely amazing. The input from all over the world is just staggering. Thanks guys.

Post #21627418th Oct 2007 8:02 am
robharvey

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Andrew,

There's one in Durban (031-5692221). They may be able to tell you who to get hold of in CT.

Post #21629118th Oct 2007 9:00 am
mobyone

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I suppose I know it as wax or polish down here, but any type of wax(polish) will do, as long it isn't just a silicone based top coat that repels water. Wax is like a thickened cream and dries to a powder and then buffs off brilliantly. The cutting compounds are the same but use varying grades of grit from coarse - medium - fine and super fine which is essentailly polish. If the scratches have gone too deep, ie past the clear coat, then nothing will save you except for more clear from the painters spray nozzle.. Big Cry

Hopefully yours will come out easily.. don't stress to find Meguires as any polish should be same. By the way I picked up the Decals of Ebay from some fella in the UK.. good stuff,

Cheers Moby Thumbs Up
 What's the point.... it all comes out in the wash anyway!

85 Range Rover
01 Disco Series II
05 D3 V6SE, Bonatti Grey, 19"alloys 

Post #21635318th Oct 2007 11:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >