Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

What do I buy now?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
AndyButch

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
What do I buy now?

So, thanks to an idiot in an Audi, my pride and joy Larry has been written off in a head-on collision:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now, believing that the D4 was the best vehicle Land Rover ever made I was quite content to keep him forever, having owned and serviced him since he was just a year-old, maintaining everything and following the service schedule strictly he had served me around 100k miles with only a failed EPB; seems like I had a good one Smile

However, owning a 7-year old vehicle and buying a 7-year old vehicle that I haven't maintained are 2 different things. Who's to say I can get one as well maintained so what do I buy as replacement? The only thing I would have liked on the D4 was s bit more tyre wall, I ran 19" duratracs but was always worried moving up to 32's would have stressed the CVs. You see I drive about 20k miles a year on the road and about 2k a year Greenlaning and have driven some of the hardest tracks the UK has to offer. I also had Oztent 270 awning and tagalong tent as this was my touring camper too.

Shall I risk it and try to get another, or look at the new Defender? I still can't say I like the D5, or do I go Rangy or RRS, would they suit my needs?

As ever, I hope the community can help me
 1978 Series 3 88 Military Green (Gone)
1983 110 V8 Masai Red (Gone)
1997 Discovery 1 XS Cobalt Blue (Gone)
1999 Defender 110 TD5 Safari Epsom Green (Gone)
2001 Freelander Sport Buckingham Blue (Gone)
2016 Discovery 4 Landmark Yulong White "Larry" (Written off)
2015 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Corris Grey "Sol" 

Post #23320412nd Apr 2023 1:34 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

First, getting a LR is never the sensible or rational choice but since you had one you know this already, right? Thumbs Up Whistle

I think that you can probably find nice D4s with euro 6 still. As you probably know almost anything in it can be DIY fixed. IDK what is currently on sale on the forums but you might be in luck.

The Australians seem to somehow have adapted to the D5 for all their off-road needs. And based on FB group pictures they end up in pretty hairy places. It’s big, too. SWMBO said she can’t get up into the driver’s seat easily and would have insisted on side steps or bars.

Many seem to like the new defender, but I found it kind of small. Granted, I didn’t have any buying pants on, I was just a curious wheel kicker. I like how it looks from the front.

Post #23320442nd Apr 2023 1:45 pm
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: What do I buy now?

well if you want to consider how much you want to spend to replace your d4 i might be persuaded to sell mine 2013 70000mls looked after by me for the last 4 years ive just sorned it as i retired last week and was only driving it for work for 2 days a week and i cant decide whether to sell the 2005 d3 or the 2013 d4, by the way i wouldn't have any concerns with driving either of them anywhere Thumbs Up
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #23320482nd Apr 2023 2:53 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I’ve owned a D3, D4 and now have a new Defender.

For practically nothing beats the D4, but the new Defender is a great place to be if you don’t need seven seats and a big boot.

I like my Defender but miss the boot space and split tailgate, such that I’ve thought of swapping it for a D5. Embarassed I love the D4 but I’d be going back to an old design and technology, but great capability. However, snapped cranks and an unknown history just put me off.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #23320552nd Apr 2023 3:50 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Moo; you have hit the nail on its head. Thumbs Up

I won't move from the D4 as I would miss "the boot space and split tailgate,"

I have specced a number of Defenders, but at 80+ I really can't justify spending that much on a replacement for my D4.

NJSS

Post #23320562nd Apr 2023 4:00 pm
Global Puffin

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Do as I did - buy from someone on this forum. You stand a far, far better chance at a well looked after car if you buy from a fellow enthusiast.

Oh and sorry for your loss - it sucks to lose your P&J like that.
 2005 D3 V8
2010 MX-5
www.instagram.com/global_puffin 

Post #23320572nd Apr 2023 4:34 pm
AndyButch

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Thank you all, I might take a trip to the local LR dealer to help rule out all the alternatives. If I can find a well looked after 2016 Landmark from a forum member ready to sell I'd be chuffed to bits Smile

There's just TOO MANY good things about the D4 that haven't been replaced on a later model. And the sound of that V6 Thumbs Up

Post #23320632nd Apr 2023 5:29 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Well, that's a bit of a bummer !!!

Firstly, I trust you and any occupants of the D4 are all ok.

Just make sure you remove all the kit.

Keep looking out for a good D4 [as nothing on this planet beats it] and I'm sure the right one will turn up for you.
But do be prepared to travel to get the one you want, it'll be worth it in the end.
And you'll have all your bits to add to it.

And, if you decide not to get a D4, you can always sell off your kit to the vultures on here.
Surprised nobody's asked already. Rolling Eyes

Laughing
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #23320672nd Apr 2023 5:54 pm
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well ronp, that's because of the time differences between the UK and Aussie Laughing

Really sorry for your loss, and as others have written, hope all occupants are ok. I've only had my D3 for a year and a half, but I'm already dreading the day I have to say goodbye. I'd go for a car from a forum member if I were you.
Nothing else will give you that Permagrin™️

Post #23320802nd Apr 2023 6:58 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Andy first I hope everyone was OK.
Having owned D3, D4s and D5s and also having had a Defender on an extended test drive (4 days), and a RRS for two days. I would say go and drive them before you do anything else.
I loved my D3/D4s and would have liked to say with them but couldn't find the right cars when I came to change so brought a D5 First Edition when they first went on the road in April 17. It was very different in many many ways but it worked well for us.
When I came to change at 5 years old I had the Defender which I really liked and would have signed on the dotted line until we had it for a few days................. Neither my wife I or the kids liked it. It was small inside, cubby hole storage was we felt poorly designed and the demonstrator we had had cloth seats which were very worn at 2000 miles and that was a HSE 110. I was very disappointed so tried the RRS, a nice place to be but for us was too small all round.
So the decision was made to keep the First Edition, until two weeks later when we were offered a cancelled order D5 HSE R Dynamic with lots of options and the new engine. Well the test drive was a shock, a completely different car all round to our First Edition, hence we now have a new Discovery.
Each to their own but try before you buy and preferably for an extended test drive. Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #23320812nd Apr 2023 7:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

ronp wrote:
And, if you decide not to get a D4, you can always sell off your kit to the vultures on here.
Surprised nobody's asked already. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Something about someone casting the first stone comes to mind, ronp Rolling with laughter

Seriously, the evil b word effectively prevents purchases from UK as one now needs to pay for VAT and customs and handle paperwork, etc. Mr. Green Rolling Eyes

GLWTS on the potential parting, I’m sure there are plenty of vultures staking out the carcass Whistle Whistle

Post #23320872nd Apr 2023 7:37 pm
AndyButch

Thank you all for your help. Yes Ron, I will take everything off when the insurance company allow me, either to use again or to pop on the forum Very Happy

I visited the LR shop and have to admit the Defender was better than I expected and there are some crazy deals on 2nd hand ones to be had if anyone's looking.

BUT ...

Still can't beat the D4 so I'll put a wanted post on and see what, well looked after examples come up.

My wife and I walked away with cuts and bruises by the way (still hurting Sad ), the driver and passenger of the Audi has some broken bones though I'm afraid. Fortunately the baby in the back of the Audi was alright, despite the fire crew on the scene suggesting the combined impact speed was around 90MPH Shocked (I was doing 20 max)

Moo, I'm going to keep my pennies and take the risk with a D4, that way I can safely green lane without taking a change of pants Laughing

Post #23322474th Apr 2023 4:50 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I no longer need more than 5 seats, but do want a split tailgate. The L405 FFRR suits me well, the boot space isn’t as big as the D3/4, but it’d hardly small!

I did over 12k miles in a top spec D5 and didn’t get on with it.

I had a 24hr test drive in the 110 Defender, nice but the boot space and access was poor and the rear door would annoy me. It was nice getting back into my FFRR afterwards.

Each to their own though, we’re all different. Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #23322554th Apr 2023 5:32 pm
FidoNick

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Scary stuff AndyButch. Very glad to hear everyone got out without too many issues - the safety cages are really quite something to survive that kind of impact. I look forward to hearing (and seeing) what you end up with.

Post #23322854th Apr 2023 10:14 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

AndyButch wrote:
Thank you all for your help. Yes Ron, I will take everything off when the insurance company allow me, either to use again or to pop on the forum Very Happy

I visited the LR shop and have to admit the Defender was better than I expected and there are some crazy deals on 2nd hand ones to be had if anyone's looking.

BUT ...

Still can't beat the D4 so I'll put a wanted post on and see what, well looked after examples come up.

My wife and I walked away with cuts and bruises by the way (still hurting Sad ), the driver and passenger of the Audi has some broken bones though I'm afraid. Fortunately the baby in the back of the Audi was alright, despite the fire crew on the scene suggesting the combined impact speed was around 90MPH Shocked (I was doing 20 max)

Moo, I'm going to keep my pennies and take the risk with a D4, that way I can safely green lane without taking a change of pants Laughing

Don't blame you. The D4 is still a fantastic car. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder