Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Cabin temp poor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
maltesenick

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Cabin temp poor

Hi guys, raised this briefly a while ago but kind of abandoned the thread back then.
Cabin nice and toasty in my 56 plate D3 2.7L 5 seat base model when on the move despite the -10 and -14 degrees we are having just now. However, stop moving, despite keeping the engine running, and very soon its coooool inside. The temp gauge drops to well down but not quite rock bottom. Start off again and internal heat soon returns. The fan, directional controls etc all work.
Other threads talk about a sensor behind the little grille at left knee but upon investigation it appears absent on my model - there is a little oblong duct behind the grille on the removable panel which mates with a similair shaped channel but nothing inside.
Had a look in the workshop manual ( grateful thanks to greziul and his "fakitol" for the link!! ) and it seems to suggest that my "poverty" model lacks this particular one due to lack of the " auto" air conditioning facilty as opposed to the "manual" system fitted on mine and thus only has a sensor ( Sect 4 Electrical section 412.04 item In-Vehicle Temperature Sensor - 82.90.43 ) in amongst the gubbins low down inside the steering column shroud. If this is the case is it likely this could be the cause of the lack of "at rest" heat and can I test it crudely in any way to see if it works or not?
PS Glad I wasn't stuck on the A80 last night - young nephew left work at 11am and got home at 15 mins past midnight! regards nick

Post #7276997th Dec 2010 9:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Your FBH should be kicking in... is it?
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #7277357th Dec 2010 9:58 pm
maltesenick

No - it worked for a little while during last winter then chucked it. I asked the last time it was in for a service, about 6 wks ago, if it had tripped out but they thought not and suggested I wait till it got cold enough for it to actuate - or not!!
The engine heats up ok, minus the FBH, in a reasonable time to what appears to be a normal temp, both on the gauge and in produced heat terms inside the cabin when on the move.
I understood, probably wrongly, that the FBH was there to give a sort of a speedy heat boost to the engine when warming up under very cold start conditions till the engine and its various fluids had reached normal running temps.
Do you think there is a connection between the two?

Post #7277697th Dec 2010 10:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
John C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The temp guage will drop (in cold conditions, or if you've got your cabin fans running) when not moving, which is the point the FBH kicks in. This happens in mine when the FBH stops working, however, it doesn't result in the extremes you're describing.
 2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey +
2022 Tesla Model Y LR... almost Carpathian Grey
Previously : 2005 TDV6 SE Auto, Cairns Blue (288K) - ours for 16 years 

Post #7277787th Dec 2010 10:25 pm
maltesenick

Come the morning I intend trying the Fuse 28 and power/earth cable "cures" again to see if they have any success. Too cold outside just now!!! Night night!

Post #7278257th Dec 2010 11:12 pm
maltesenick

Had to go straight out this am without chance to try the Fuse 28 or power/earth wire "cures" on the totally cold engine. Eventually got home, let car go to sleep and tried the "cures" to no avail. But - did notice, before trying the "cures", that the top part of the metal body of the FBH nearest the front, ie above the coolant pump wires plug, was actually warm, not hot, just hand warm although the exhaust was totally cold. Presumably some sort of power is getting to it but not that appropriate to kick it off?

Post #7280788th Dec 2010 1:30 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

The coolant flows through it even when it is not warm, so thst would explain the heat.

Did you have the climate control on auto or it won't work, FBH won't kick in.

Post #7281348th Dec 2010 3:24 pm
maltesenick

Hi Countrywide, regrettably - as a poverty model - mine lacks the sophistication of AUTO anything and is a tad more agricultural. However, even with all that can be switched on - ON, it fails to operate. Good point about the coolant circulation - always seems obvious when somebody more intelligent points it out to you!

Post #7281828th Dec 2010 4:33 pm
THFC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Same prob as maltesenick, when on the move the cabin is lovely and warm and when stopped it gets cooler.
Other problem i'm getting is when putting the heaters on i get a blast of cold air for about 2 secs. Is this right? Or is it just my D3 that does this?
As for FBH i know what it does but where the hell is it? Rolling with laughter

Maltesenick! What it the Fuse 28 power/earth cure?
 PRIDE OF NORTH LONDON
AUDERE-EST-FACERE 

Post #72943610th Dec 2010 5:35 pm
maltesenick

Hi THFC, I'm not the bloke to be asking serious questions about a D3 when so many better informed people support this site. The FBH lives in the front N/S corner off the engine bay - has a couple of little corrugated stainless ducts about 1" diam in/out of it. The Fuse 28/power/earth "cures" are better explained by "searching" the site for the vast amount of info already on it. I'm not trying to duck the issue - just that other people explain it so much better than me! So far I've not heard much back to explain the cabin ambient temp sensor and how to test it, but if you have better luck I'll be happy to live off the back of your experience. Take it yours is a 5 seat base model also? Happiness is a D3 or a warm dog poo on a frosty morning - only dog owners will get this! Best of luck Nick

Post #72973111th Dec 2010 2:55 am
Mike767

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

It looks highly likely that the FBH is not working. This must be the most talked about fault on here. Put simply, a modern diesel engine at idle does not generate enough heat in cold weather to run efficiently so the coolant (which warms the cabin) does not get hot enough. Hence the FBH.

This thread has loads of info about the whys and hows. http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic43944.html?highlight=fbh+question

"Ian NP" is the real expert and has devised a simple loom (will cost you about a tenner from fleabay) that you can connect to a laptop with some free Webasto software to clear any fault codes that cause the FBH to lockout. It fixed mine last winter when we had -15 and the FBH was most definitely needed.

Post #72975311th Dec 2010 9:28 am
THFC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Nick. Just been out and had a look for it an found it Thumbs Up
Have had a good look through the forum and found pretty much what I was looking for about it. Conclusion! It's f Censored D lol.
Done the fuse 28 trick as most members say try it but it didn't work either Sad
Anyway I'm off to search fleebay for the loom that seems to do the trick ie reset the fault codes and gets the dam thing working again Thumbs Up
Try the link that Mike767 put on here as well Nick http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic43944.html?highlight=fbh+question
Also mines the 7 seat HSE.
 PRIDE OF NORTH LONDON
AUDERE-EST-FACERE 

Post #72982111th Dec 2010 1:39 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

You got climate control on auto.

It's not to heat the engine as the reason it is cold is because it is efficient. That's why the FBH doesn't come on if the climate control is off, it's only to heat the cabin.

Post #72993811th Dec 2010 6:39 pm
maltesenick

Hi Countrywide, I think I mentioned previously that I drive the "poverty" model 5 seater which comes minus many of the 7 seaters bells and whistles. The system has no Auto on its basic ventilation system neither does it have the temp sensor behind the little grille. But there does seem to be a sensor down behind the steering column shroud. I was hoping to get a pointer as to how /if I could test this? I do appreciate from the kind help provided so far that the engine normally runs colder than "normal" engines and needs the support of the FBH to heat the cabin while at rest.

Post #73030012th Dec 2010 2:23 pm
countrywide

Ooops sorry.

No idea how it is controlled on the base model.

Post #73030112th Dec 2010 2:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >