Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Calculating towing weight used to be easy....HELP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DALEK

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3
Calculating towing weight used to be easy....HELP

I went to view the Eterniti Genesis IB4 at the weekend and whilst I am fairly sure I will buy one it is a long term plan. I have my holidays arranged for this year so would be looking at delivery spring 2015. This gives me lots of time to get everything worked out. I was pleased to see the brochure picture was a discovery. Very Happy

So my discovery is a D3 2.7 diesel, the numbers on that we all know, the plastic tent is as follows

MIRO (mass in running order)1959/38.56cwt MTPLM (maximum technical permissible laden mass)2200Kg/48.54cwt Maximum User Payload241Kg/4.74cwt

If I am being thick please excuse me......

So how much can I put in it? is it 241kg, but I thought a Discovery could tow 3500 kg so is it that minus 2200kg leaving 1300kg.

I want Aircon 35kg, slide out canopy and awning 39kg, does the weight take account of water, gas etc etc.

It would seem on the face of it that even if you have the most capable and ideal vehicle for towing am I limited to around 100kg of stuff?

I have read that VOSA are all over this.

If my payload is low can I load up the car, top boxes, full load space etc...

I know you guys are really knowledgeable and I will get an unbiased answer so I am asking you and not the caravan provider.
 D3 HSE ........................Gone!!!  
Post #12468474th Mar 2014 9:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pelyma

England 

My understanding is that extras like zircon, movers etc come off your payload allowance (241Kg) unless the manufacturer replaces it. It isn't the D3 that is limiting the load it is the chassis of the van.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #12468564th Mar 2014 9:44 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I am not into caravans much but I understand one can get some caravans uprated ( At a cost ) by the maker to carry a higher load.( New VIN Plate). Caravan Manufacturers normally keep the loading as low as possible so that the maximum number of cars can tow them. It is the caravan not your car that is limiting the loading. One can load the car to its maximum axle loading remembering to include the hitch load of the caravan. Just a thought, make sure you have a driving licence to tow this combination.

Post #12468634th Mar 2014 9:55 am
DALEK

Thanks guys that's really helpful, I will now email the manufacturer and see what can be done. I will advise
Post #12468814th Mar 2014 10:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

L319 wrote:
I am not into caravans much but I understand one can get some caravans uprated ( At a cost ) by the maker to carry a higher load.( New VIN Plate). Caravan Manufacturers normally keep the loading as low as possible so that the maximum number of cars can tow them. It is the caravan not your car that is limiting the loading. One can load the car to its maximum axle loading remembering to include the hitch load of the caravan. Just a thought, make sure you have a driving licence to tow this combination.

'Uprating' basically consists of issuing a new set of documentation - at a cost. NOTHING physical is done to the 'van.

Post #12471674th Mar 2014 7:04 pm
Landie71

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Just done our Bailey Senator - cost about £65. I sent them the chassis number & they sent me a new plate to stick over the original with the new weights & new tyre pressures on. Also were also a couple of big advertising stickers for the back. I think it gave us about another 55kg of payload - handy Very Happy

Post #12472884th Mar 2014 8:49 pm
rodneydisco3

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Hello there,

I think you just reached a small minefield. The Caravan chassis and tyres limit the amount of the total mass. The Caravan manufacturer builds the caravan leaving a margin for user payload. in the case of the Eternitti it is 241Kgs. anything you add to the basic specification has to be deducted from the payload, so with air-con and Awning, the total load that can be carried within the Caravan is around 160kgs.

Regarding your Disco 3 you can load that to its maximum mass in running order ( see the plate under the bonnet)so all the heavies can go in the car.
Do not exceed the axle loads, or the roof rack load, these are also on the plate.

Some caravans can have the load margin increased by some kgs, some manufacturers charge others do it for free, if a paper exercise. In some cases the manufacturer can build on a heavier chassis at a cost.

The caravan tyres have at least 10% extra margin of weight capacity, as safety margin.
 Rodey L

2018 Discovery 5 3L HSE Idris silver and black
14MY liore Blue/Almond HSE (now with new custodian)
Discovery 3 09MY Gaulway Green/Almond (now with new custodian)
1933 MG J2
1934 MG PA
1935 MG PB 

Post #12473704th Mar 2014 9:53 pm
DALEK

Thanks everyone for the great advice, I wonder if this limitation will put us off as the compromises we would have to make are too much. Once we had food, liquid, clothes, bikes, pots pans and all the other paraphernalia on board for a 3 month trip we would be overweight. Exclamation

We are pretty set on that van so unless anyone has found a way around this? Question Question Question

I will wait for a reply from Eterniti and let you know.

Thanks again
Post #12476405th Mar 2014 9:58 am
Landie71

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I'd be tempted not to put bikes in the caravan anyway - they can make a real mess of the woodwork (there are bags to put them in but not sure I'd trust them). Not only that if you want to get in if you stop when traveling they're big things to climb around. For bikes I'd look at putting them on the back/top of the disco.

Also if you get a decent bike rack you can use it when you're not taking the caravan out as well (can you tell I've just got a bike rack on mine!) Thumbs Up

Hope you get it sorted
Marcus

Post #12476455th Mar 2014 10:08 am
rodneydisco3

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Don't forget the weigth of a tow ball mounted bike rack is part of the load on the two ball, limited to 150kgs. and you need the trailer to have a nose weight of between 7% and 10& of it's MPTL.

I know it does not help!

very few caravans have a load margin as high as the Caravan of your desire.

Willing t o help any way i can, the caravan Club has an excellent technicaldepartment managed by Martin Spencer.
 Rodey L

2018 Discovery 5 3L HSE Idris silver and black
14MY liore Blue/Almond HSE (now with new custodian)
Discovery 3 09MY Gaulway Green/Almond (now with new custodian)
1933 MG J2
1934 MG PA
1935 MG PB 

Post #12476615th Mar 2014 10:40 am
Brian_DL13

Frankly, if Disco isn't able to tow one of them then I struggle to think what could. Censored flat bed truck maybe ? Whistle

ANyway, let us know what Eterniti have to say !

Post #12476685th Mar 2014 10:53 am
Brian_DL13

Landie71 wrote:
I'd be tempted not to put bikes in the caravan anyway - they can make a real mess of the woodwork
Marcus

Thumbs Up

Post #12476715th Mar 2014 10:54 am
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I know that we now have all sorts of fancy acronyms relating to our caravans. I still use the old fashioned method. Weight ex works including all the "extras" plus whatever (personal luggage etc) I put in must not exceed the total permissible weight.I had a similar problem with a Castleton caravan (no longer made). After a great deal of hassle got the manufacturer to fit a higher rated axle, better wheels and more highly rated tyres. The wheels and tyres were no hassle at all. The axle needed to have somewhat different suspension (built into the axle), and higher rated shock absorbers. I cannot remember the difference in "luggage" allowance but it was a great deal more than the standard spec.

Post #12476785th Mar 2014 11:12 am
DALEK

Yeah, sorry guys I was meaning on a rear carrier or A frame carrier, the point was the weight was a part of the caravan so takes away from available load.

Still waiting for Eterniti to respond.

I have been looking at 5th wheel as an option but would loose the use of my beloved disco Big Cry

They seem to get around it somehow..... further investigation required
Post #12476805th Mar 2014 11:15 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >