DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Calling all Auxiliary Fuel Tank Users
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Buckster

England 
Calling all Auxiliary Fuel Tank Users

Good evening Gents,

I have acquired a Brand New Front Runner 80L Auxiliary Fuel Tank for my Range Rover Sport. The Disco 4 part number is exactly the same so im not anticipating to many fitting issues and if there are im sure these can be worked around, as Front Runner list this as fitting a RRS.

I would like to fit a small fuel gauge so i can see the level of the second tank when transferring.

Has anyone done this by fitting a 0-90 Ohm fuel sender into the aux tank and what products did you use? Is the level reliable and what issues did you have along the way please?

The gauge i am looking at is below

2003 BMW M5- 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 RRS SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expo Rack, 4x Warn Spotlights, Warn 9.5 XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection, Full Easylift Suspension, LightForce HTX 230 Spot Lights, LR Light Guards, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, Brembos Calipers, ARB Fridge, Tuff trek awning.
Visiting from the RR Sport forum: 

Post #219369813th Dec 2020 9:33 pm
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I have a Front Runner 80L tank installed in my D3, so I assume it will be a similar process.

The transfer pump it comes with is painfully slow. The first pump I installed failed after about a year. I replaced it with the same one, and that failed again in about year. It took about 40 - 45 minutes to transfer the fuel from the auxiliary tank to the main tank. I have since installed a high volume pump, which transfers in about 15 minutes. The "Y" piece you need to install onto the main fuel hose fill-up, seriously directs the fuel from the main input nozzle to the auxiliary tank. Therefore, if the auxiliary tank is full, it's a right pain to fill the main tank, as I found out when my auxiliary pump failed.

Therefore what I do is fill the auxiliary tank once it has been transferred to the main tank. Other wise you spend ages in the fuel stations.

When we were in Morocco, and ran both tanks down, it was a pain, as the auxiliary tank filled quicker at the fuel station than we could transfer to the main tank. Hence I fitted a higher volume pump.

You'll need a chain pipe cutter to install the "Y" piece into the main hose.

I really didn't see a need to install a gauge for auxiliary tank, as it always needs to be transferred to the main tank, when the main tank is empty. This always prompts me to fill up, otherwise I spend ages in the fuel stations.

Hope that helps.

John

Post #219370913th Dec 2020 11:10 pm
Buckster

England 

Thanks for the info John. What transfer pump are you running now? I believe it came with a Facet pump. Do you think there is a way to get creative with the welder to stop the Y piece diverting straight to the Aux tank on fill up?

2013 RRS SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expo Rack, 4x Warn Spotlights, Warn 9.5 XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection, Full Easylift Suspension, LightForce HTX 230 Spot Lights, LR Light Guards, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, Brembos Calipers, ARB Fridge, Tuff trek awning.

Post #219382214th Dec 2020 4:01 pm
John P

Yes I had 2 Facet pumps, and both didn't last very long. I have put a Walbro GSL392 inline pump in it's place. Yes you could change the "Y" piece if you wanted to. If you look down the hole you'll see what I mean. Once it was installed, I didn't want to remove it, so just transfer the fuel as needed.

Cheers
John

Post #219384214th Dec 2020 6:03 pm
Buckster

England 

Great advice John, i wont bother messing around with the Facet pump then based on your experience to then have to replace it in a year. I will opt to upgrade that before fitting is commenced Thumbs Up

Post #219392914th Dec 2020 10:03 pm
John P

Something else to take into account, is all service stations here in the UK have limits on the amount of fuel dispensed. Some limit to £99, and others will limit to 100L. So if you empty both tanks, you have to pay twice which is a pain. That's why I fill up after I have transferred to the main tank.

Post #219397515th Dec 2020 10:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >