Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

CAN BUS, IID, TCCM and more.. Advice and Guidance needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
onetwentie

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
CAN BUS, IID, TCCM and more.. Advice and Guidance needed

Hi all.. I have a 2008 Disco3 (57 Plate) and I most definitely have a CAN BUS issue. The car has full service history but a year and a half ago it went into a garage for a suspension issue. After this, long story short it got left stood for 18 months.

In this time I think the battery got stolen and at some point rodents made a nest in the battery compartment Rolling Eyes (I found droppings in that area). I also saw one section of wiring near to the headlight that had been gnawed at.

Currently the car starts sometimes and doesn't most times. It has had a new battery from Tanya (a Varta) which I charged up using my trickle charger (Optimate).

The TCCM was fried, so I bought a replacement however the IID fails to 'calibrate'/'configure' it as there is a problem with the CAN BUS - it basically doesn't see any ECU on that network which leads me to believe that most likely it's going to be the CAN wire pair which has been chewed in one or more places.. not sure where or how to start diagnosing that.

Things I have tried:
* Hard reset
* New Battery
* Scanning and clearing codes (the remaining ones I have included below)
* Replaced the TCCM with one from a 2008 Disco 3

Things left yet to check:
* Grounding points under the wheel arches.
* I have seen threads about the Instrument Cluster and sending off to Patrick for repair.

Other issues:
* Car mostly will not start
* Suspension fault showing on the dash
* Parking brake fault showing on the dash
* Rev counter not working
* Temp gauge showing as at the very top/max
* Hazards going off as soon as you put the key in the ignition.

I know that there are diagrams that are available that not only show you the CAN network/wiring layout, but also where in the car the relevant connectors are located. Can anyone point me to them? I have tried searching the Forum for 'topology' and 'CANBUS' and looked at the resultant threads.

Grateful to all and anyone that can offer advice.

thanks
onetwentie.

======================
Model L319 - Discovery 3 2008
Vehicle scanned on 17 May 2023 19:00:16
IIDControl 4.1.3 Build 130 Android - IIDTool BT V4.0 B2691

Body Control

B1A93-93 - Invalid roof position - Component failure - no operation (2F)
( on 06-09-2023 03:02:53 at 287050 km )

B1D06-15 - Left turn signal circuit - General electrical failure - circuit short to battery or open (2F)
( on 06-09-2023 03:02:53 at 287050 km )

Instrument Pack

U0001-87 - High speed CAN communication bus - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message (2F)
( on 16-04-2037 03:40:57 at 287054 km )

Steering Angle

U0122-87 - Lost communication with vehicle dynamics control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message (2F)
( on 06-09-2023 02:59:27 at 287054 km )

Post #233696318th May 2023 11:57 am
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Check the harness connectors that sit on the chassis near the left rear wheel, these are known to corrode or frey and cause can bus errors.
Check the plugs and wiring either side about 10cm or so.

Post #233705219th May 2023 2:26 am
onetwentie

Hi Loanrangie

when you say
Check the harness connectors that sit on the chassis near the left rear wheel
do you mean the ones that connect up to the air compressor or other ones further back towards the rear wheel? Is it a case of jack the car up +axel stands to be able to see them?

Post #233706819th May 2023 9:30 am
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Further back literally right behind the wheel on the chassis.

Post #233707419th May 2023 9:45 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I think you're only seeing a small subset of modules via the IID, suggesting a CAN bus break or short.

Do you have a multimeter?

First thing to check is the integrity of the CAN buses by trying to measure the resistance across the CAN pairs at the OBD port.

Check resistance between pins 6 and 14 (high speed CAN), and then between 3 and 11 (medium speed CAN). Both should be around 60 Ohms.

You said it went in for suspension issues, did it perhaps have the suspension ECU removed or unplugged?

From the wiring diagrams for the CAN bus, have a look at page 2:

https://disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpi...work~0.pdf

You can see the OBD port towards the top left, and the modules that the IID can see, the instrument cluster and the steering angle sensor.

Everything else on the bus appears to be 'missing', and they are all 'downstream' of the C0469/C0467R connector pair (this is the middle set at the bottom of the Right Hand A post) - but it's the fact the CAN bus goes in and out of the suspension ECU [C0867R] which could be relevant. If the ECU is disconnected or missing then the CAN bus is broken at this point.

It could also be the loop to the EPB ECU (C2178) which is also in and out, via connector pair C0376/C0390 which is on top of the LH chassis rail at the back near the spare wheel well. However if it was that far along the bus I would expect to be seeing the suspension ECU in the IID fault list.

Try the above first and let us know Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #233707519th May 2023 9:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
onetwentie

loanrangie wrote:
Further back literally right behind the wheel on the chassis.

Thanks for that confirmation. Will have to get the trolley jack and the axel stands out. Will be sure to remove the fuse for the air compressor beforehand!

Post #233708219th May 2023 10:12 am
onetwentie

Hey Martin - pleased to meet you! I have added some inline answers in bold to make it easier to read Cool

Martin wrote:
I think you're only seeing a small subset of modules via the IID, suggesting a CAN bus break or short. Agreed

Do you have a multimeter? Yup - will have to brush up on how to use it, but I think I know how to measure resistance and voltage, which I think is all I will need for this problem

First thing to check is the integrity of the CAN buses by trying to measure the resistance across the CAN pairs at the OBD port. Yes I read up on this last night on a very good thread where the OP had a similar issue, 8 page thread with lots of useful info! link https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic188138.html so will definitely be doing what you suggested and will report back the results.

Check resistance between pins 6 and 14 (high speed CAN), and then between 3 and 11 (medium speed CAN). Both should be around 60 Ohms.

You said it went in for suspension issues, did it perhaps have the suspension ECU removed or unplugged?Good point, and I was thinking that too - I did unplug the two connectors by the compressor, spray them with contact cleaner, and reconnect them. I did this since the cover for the compressor had been left off and so those connectors were possibly left exposed under the car for 18 months!

From the wiring diagrams for the CAN bus, have a look at page 2:

https://disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpi...work~0.pdf

You can see the OBD port towards the top left, and the modules that the IID can see, the instrument cluster and the steering angle sensor. Thumbs Up

Everything else on the bus appears to be 'missing', and they are all 'downstream' of the C0469/C0467R connector pair (this is the middle set at the bottom of the Right Hand A post) - but it's the fact the CAN bus goes in and out of the suspension ECU [C0867R] which could be relevant. If the ECU is disconnected or missing then the CAN bus is broken at this point. Brilliant! I wonder if this would also explain why, when I tried to calibrate the replacement TCCM, it failed - probably because it couldn't communicate on the CAN bus?

PS - This is my first time studying diagrams like these, but I can deffo see the worth in doing so!! I do have a question though, is there a separate reference document to know where to find on the car, these connectors and ECUs?

It could also be the loop to the EPB ECU (C2178) which is also in and out, via connector pair C0376/C0390 which is on top of the LH chassis rail at the back near the spare wheel well. However if it was that far along the bus I would expect to be seeing the suspension ECU in the IID fault list. and this is another correlation I made too, with the results of the scan from the IID tool

Try the above first and let us know Smile

Post #233709219th May 2023 10:53 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

There's no D3 connector location reference doc that I know of, there is a D4 one though which will be similar

https://disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpi...81a%29.pdf

However this is LHD (some connector suffixes "L"), so those connectors will be in the mirror image location on RHD.

For example, the suspension ECU is C0867R (RHD) or C0867L (LHD) - same IDs on D3 and D4. The LHD one is on the LH A post, RHD on RH A post (side of the front footwell).

So be aware that looking at the LHD documents can have you searching the wrong side of the car, so take care if looking for connectors suffixed "R" and "L".

Post #233709719th May 2023 11:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sidestick

Italy 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Martin wrote:

but it's the fact the CAN bus goes in and out of the suspension ECU [C0867R] which could be relevant. If the ECU is disconnected or missing then the CAN bus is broken at this point.

Hi Martin, i do not agree with your point of view,
i recently faced a similar problem on a 2008 LHD Disco3 and the High Speed Can Bus to the Suspension Module has only one pair of twisted wires (Yellow & Black-Yellow on pin 16 & 19) connected to it... it is not a CAN through as reported on the wiring diagram (pin 17 & 18 are empty and i don't know why).

Click image to enlarge

In any case, the car starts and drive also with the entire suspension ECU disconnected from all 4 plugs...

Click image to enlarge
 - Easy-Lift suspension module 4.0
- GoodWinch 9500 lb
- Full underbody protections
- Tree/Rock sidebars
- Prospeed roofrack & ladder
- Compressor guard
- Raised Air Intake
- Driving lights (2+4)
- 50 mm Waffle boards
- Altox Heater control
- Overland Rooftop Tent
- Rear seats entertainment
- Front & Rear camera
- GVIF
- Removable tow bar
- Cubby box fridge
- BFG KO2 265/65R17
- iidTool BT 

Last edited by Sidestick on 19th May 2023 7:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #233713719th May 2023 5:15 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

Sidestick, you're right Smile

LR must have changed this during production. The 2005 diagrams I have show the HS CAN going in and out of the suspension module on two pins, the 2009 diagrams have a splice before the suspension module and just a single pin used on C0867L/R.

onetwentie's D3 is a 2008 so likely the later setup, so a missing suspension module couldn't cause the problem Thumbs Up

Post #233715119th May 2023 6:56 pm
onetwentie

Morning all

So after work yesterday I got the multimeter out and went to test the pins on the OBDII port.. this is what I found:

So the battery is a little low now hence the 11.6 but not sure if that impacts the validity of the test - I assume not.

I looked in the junction box behind the right hand side A pillar, but could not find the correct wire for the HCAN high or low?

Next I checked all the fuses in the engine compartment with the continuity beep test, and they all seemed ok.

Do I go for the NSR chassis area next? or should I remove the instrument cluster and check for 60 ohms resistance behind the connector there?

thanks all.

Post #233718320th May 2023 2:46 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I could not resist..

Quote:
So the battery is a little low now hence the 11.6

A 12v battery is 100% EMPTY at 12V and full at 12,7V

So a “ little low” is 12,3 V for instance…

11,6v is DEEP charge…. And will finish a battery within hours…

Charge it immediately
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #233720220th May 2023 9:18 am
onetwentie

Motolab thanks for the input. I will get it charged.

Interestingly it's a brand new battery that was charged up to 13v but has slowly come back down to this voltage as the battery has been sat in the car.

Could there be a parasitic drain on it? Or is it normal from just opening the doors and having them open for it to drop to 11v?

Also is it okay to charge it via jump leads and another car or should I be using a trickle charger instead?

Post #233721220th May 2023 9:48 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Martin wrote:
Sidestick, you're right Smile

LR must have changed this during production. The 2005 diagrams I have show the HS CAN going in and out of the suspension module on two pins, the 2009 diagrams have a splice before the suspension module and just a single pin used on C0867L/R.

onetwentie's D3 is a 2008 so likely the later setup, so a missing suspension module couldn't cause the problem Thumbs Up

Hiya

Hope u don’t mind me asking but did they also move the 3 x connectors on post 2007 from behind the passenger side wheel arch liner to behind the near side headlight plse

Many thks as always

Post #233721320th May 2023 9:52 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Ref the B1A93-93 error , wonder if that’s due to the sunroof requirement of recalibration, but as mentioned battery needs to be fully charged

Here’s the procedure kindly noted from woody

Under some circumstances (i.e. if the battery is
disconnected), the sunroof position may need
to be recalibrated. The sunroof position is
recalibrated as follows:

1. With the battery connected, turn the starter
switch to position ll.

2. Press and hold the front of the switch for
20 seconds. The sunroof will start to
move.

Continue to hold the switch until the
sunroof completes one full open and
closing cycle. When the sunroof stops
moving, release the switch.

The sunroof can then be operated as normal.
Note: Calibration will not function if the battery
voltage is low.

Ref interior bulbs , many of us have replaced ours with leds

Plus posted some images over here , talking of mice etc have u checked behind the engine bays fuse box where the loom goes to the passenger fuse box, just a thought in case there’s some broken wires

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2337119.html#2337119

Hope u get it resolved

Post #233721620th May 2023 10:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >