Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Cant connect to Webasto EVO with WTT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tobeee

Sweden 
Cant connect to Webasto EVO with WTT

Hope someone can help me with this. Im new to Webasto and diagnose.

I installed a BMW Webasto EVO 5KW in my BMW 3-serie and its installed with the WBUS converter to make it possible to start from the IHKA module in the car. Think this forum will be familiar with this WBUS converter even though its not a Land-Rover.

This works. The 12V+ tells the WBUS converter to talk to the Webasto yellow pin 2 when i press on on the telestart T91. And the IHKA starts the fans in the car etc.

The problem is that i need to bleed the fuelline and found a blue VAG-COM interface for this in my garage.

Connected the yellow wire from pin 2 on webasto to pin 7 on the interface. And 12V+ to pin 16, Pin 4 to ground.
But the WTT software says "WTT Initialising...." and Closes the screen after a while.

What i need to confirm is if this Webasto EVO needs Another interface? And in that case what type of interface?

I use older version of WTT. I have 3.4 also but this does not support interface that uses COM ports. Just tells me "Interface not connected" or something like that.

Post #218645212th Nov 2020 1:20 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Try a ground to pin 5 of the VAGCOM interface as well.

There's a adapter and software setup guide here: https://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Webasto_Thermo_Test_Setup
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #218645312th Nov 2020 1:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tobeee

Sweden 

The pin 5 for the ground makes no difference.

If i open WTT 3.4 the TT-EVO is listed on the right side WTT version 3, W-bus (>=V4.0) heaters. Its a 5-series year 2018 heater.

Not on the left side W-Bus (<=V3.5) where for example the Thermo Top V is listed.

The WTT version 3 does not support com port USB-Adapters but the question is what are the supported interfaces or is it a workaround for this?

Post #218648712th Nov 2020 4:17 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

There are 3 basic types of software on webasto units in all types from thermotop C on (so also TT-v etc.)

-Universal use....
-Brand specific, with a option to manage them with universal webasto or W-bus stuff, like remote etc. ( JLR , but even then, a D3 FBH will work with a webasto clock on W-bus in every other car, but you can not start them with a webasto remote on W-bus, even in a LR)
-Brand specific, who only work with branded webasto stuff (Often VW, Mercedes and BMW) work only plugged in the CAN system of that specific brand and even model specific.
There are exeptions that some VW and BMW’s heaters (some years, some car types) can be partially managed with some other software, but that are exeptions..

Diagnose is in the last situation with the CAN signals and car brand specific diagnose software...

I worked 15 years in the FBH business, saw everthing, and a lot of people trying, because they bought a cheapy on ebay.... the Webasto control unit ON the heater is the key... some will work, a lot of them don’t...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #218652412th Nov 2020 6:29 pm
tobeee

Sweden 

Ok if i get this clear.

The most likely reason the BMW G20 TT-EVO 5 does not start is that the wbus converter I bought on ebay is useless in my case. This is because BMW's branded heater does not understand a bit what the wbus converter wants it to do.

I'm buying this. Sounds reasonable. I was probably misled.

But what I do not understand is that when rewire and I switch on BMW's branded heater according to BMW's own installation manual, the following happens:

1. I press T91 on
2. The telestart module sends signal to BMW's IHKA port 19
Ventilation starts and the BMW display indicates heat on.
4. BMW's IHKA port 18 sends a 12V signal.
5. The heater port 1 receives a 12V signal from IHKA.
6. Nothing happens and the T91 remote flashes red slowly.

In this case, I think it should work? And that's why I suspect I need to connect the diagnostic cable to the WTT to see if the heater is possibly locked. I attached a picture of the BMW wireing from BMW retrofit install guide in my gallery. Its really a simple installation with very few wires. Ive seen CAN bus installations. They are pretty tricky compared to this one.. The tricky part is the coding of the IHKA but it is obviously OK.

The yellow diagnostic cable from port 2. How do I communicate with it? This cant be a branded heater i belive? The BMW retrofit manual says only "connect Webasto diagnostic interface to the pin 2 yellow cable" BMW ISTA diagnostic software can do nothing to this heater. I know because i looked in to it. And ISTA is telling me the same thing =) "connect Webasto diagnostic interface to the pin 2 yellow cable" "You cant use ISTA to diagnose the heater". Or is there branded Webasto diagnostic interfaces to?

Post #218657012th Nov 2020 9:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >