Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Cant start car, cant get out of PARK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Scott_Fred

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well, i suppose they are short runs, weekends only and 15 - 20 miles normally, just to the city. Dont start up just to move the gate or open the garage though, if I start up in those circumstances then its to drive off for at least a short journey.

I don´t just go 1m to local shop or anything though.

Bodsy wrote:
If you're doing really short runs, or regularly just starting her up & moving her to open the garage & then shutting down, then I can definately see why your draining the battery.
An investment in a £50 c-tek battery charger/conditioner should solve that problem though Thumbs Up

Post #65426328th May 2010 2:38 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Everytime you unlock the door or open an already unlocked door on the Disco, it will awaken it's onboard computers. This will cause a suprising ammount of drain on the battery. It will usually stay awake for 20minutes before fully shutting down. Or only a couple of minutes if you lock it.

I'm fairly sure that's what the cause of the problem. A good charge once a month should fix it Thumbs Up

20 mile trip will charge up and replace what you've used in starting her up and a little bit more, but you should reckon on about 8 hours driving to fully charge the battery from flat. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #65426828th May 2010 2:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Scott_Fred

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

That makes sense actually, I went through a phase of not locking the car on the drive because the key fob wasnt working. Perhaps this was causing drain on the battery as the comp wasnt shutting down for the 20 mins or so unlike when I locked it... The timing would stack up with the battery problems. Never realised not locking the car made a difference, on the drive I didnt mind, on the road I was using the dashboard lock then opening manually with the key...

OK. thanks very much.

Interestingly, the KeyFob actually started working again on its own... LOL So I started locking it again, but I suppose the battery was screwed by this stage, along with the other short journey issues.

Thanks. very informative. Cheers ! Very Happy

Bodsy wrote:
Everytime you unlock the door or open an already unlocked door on the Disco, it will awaken it's onboard computers. This will cause a suprising ammount of drain on the battery. It will usually stay awake for 20minutes before fully shutting down. Or only a couple of minutes if you lock it.

I'm fairly sure that's what the cause of the problem. A good charge once a month should fix it Thumbs Up

20 mile trip will charge up and replace what you've used in starting her up and a little bit more, but you should reckon on about 8 hours driving to fully charge the battery from flat. Thumbs Up

Post #65427128th May 2010 3:02 pm
Trackman

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Its the usual story with electronics when their power supply is low they can do lots of daft things which gives you the impression of major problems.

I have had the run around many times and you would think you would learn but never do. Whistle

Battery charger is the answer. I use the 12S trailer socket to couple a maximum output 10A charger to if the Disco is not being used for a while or on short runs. This connection is fused at 15A and is straight to the battery.

Good you got it going. Thumbs Up

Ian.

Post #65437428th May 2010 8:27 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Something to remember is that the gearshift lock can be manually released. With the blank panel behind the epb switch removed, a small white tab is visible on the back of the gearshift mechanism which when lifted allows the gearshift to be pulled out of park.

Post #65440628th May 2010 10:01 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

I never knew that Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #65446929th May 2010 8:40 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

When I got my D4 there were 2 things I wanted to find out very quickly. 1st was how to access the epb emergency release cable and 2nd was how to get the gearshift out of park if the battery was flat, having read about so many D3s being dragged onto recovery trucks with wheels not turning. Hopefully I'll not have to use either.

Post #65447429th May 2010 9:18 am
UNG

United Kingdom 

Scott_Fred wrote:
That makes sense actually, I went through a phase of not locking the car on the drive because the key fob wasnt working.
Interestingly, the KeyFob actually started working again on its own... LOL So I started locking it again, but I suppose the battery was screwed by this stage, along with the other short journey issues.

Keyfob probably has battery problems if the vehicle is not used / driven much then the keyfob will not be getting charged while it is in the ignition
 "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag'em down to your level. It's cheaper".  
Post #65447929th May 2010 9:43 am
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Belated thanks to GraemeS for the "little white tab" info.

Several of us in our Mountain Rescue Team have D3s, and one of the newer members has sold his FFRR and bought an 05 HSE Auto.

Ooops - On Day 8 he has had total warning light chaos -> flat battery -> immobility. Even a temporary healthy battery took him less than half a mile. (Jump starts failed, with hot jump leads Shocked so something is seriously amiss). He doesn't accurately recall the sequence of lights and failures so I can't report them.

Anyway when it failed again, automatic response was to engage PARK, and immediately that was that. Can't even be dragged to a place of lesser obstruction.

So the little white tab (I HOPE it's there on the D3!!!) should get him onto the low loader.

Cheers GraemeS
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #73029412th Dec 2010 1:40 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Andrew, it's definately there Thumbs Up
Although I couldn't see mine, I just put my finger in and found the tab if you head your finger towards the D, you should find it Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #73031912th Dec 2010 3:49 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Cheers, Bodsy!

Just had him on the phone for reassurance that it exists - your info VERY helpful!!!

GraemeS Thumbs Up

Bodsy Thumbs Up

Another DISCO3.CO.UK success.
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #73033012th Dec 2010 4:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >