Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Car dead, cant even open on key fob
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
the kergan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Car dead, cant even open on key fob

Took the beast into a local autoelectrical place yesterday (know them well and never had a prob before)

The power socket in the boot was not working and they discovered that it was due to it not being plugged in behind the access panel in the boot.

Anyway they plugged it in and it was fine and by 10am I was home and sorted.

Went back out to car at midnight and started it to move it on the driveway. Everything was fine.

Went out this morning to drive to a photography job and the car was dead, couldnt unlock it with the keyfob and had to access with the key by removing the cover on the passenger door handle.

Once in I hear this faint ticking noise in the passanger footwell (think this could be connected to the problem) and on putting in the key all I get on the dash is 1 light. Nothing else is working and can only assume the battery must be as flat as a pancake or something has blown and taken out most of the electrical systems.

Have called LRA and waiting for them to call back with a time slot.

Any ideas what this may be, thinking myself that the rear socket was unplugged for a reason now but being an ex Mondial LRA management car I would have thought that they would have repaired this rather than just unplug something to make the problem go away.

Thanks, Jason
 I have something to say! It's better to burn out... than to fade away!  
Post #47441031st May 2009 10:37 am
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I don't know what it is, but your battery is not completely flat yet. See my experience:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic34496.html

I would take that socket off and do some measuring maybe there is something wrong in there.
If the power is low you could here some funny noices when the D3 is trying to wake up. I don't know what it is but I heard some stranges noises too when charging the D3 after my mishap.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #47445531st May 2009 2:27 pm
the kergan

LRA came out and got the car started with Jumpleads, couldnt do this myself, although I have the leads I never had another motor about to start it from.

Anyway Told the LRA chap about the socket being connected back up the day before and we both felt that this may have been the cause of the problem even though it only has power to it when the ignition is on.

He removed the fuse for the rear socket and will now see if this sorts the problem.

While he had the rear arch panel off and was looking at the wiring loom he noticed that 2 wires that had at one time something connected to them, they had no plugs on the end but whatever was on them was just cut off leaving 2 bare wire ends. He thinks as it was a mondial car it could have been where they wired a tracker unit into the loom.

He was also pondering why the rear socket had been unplugged in the first place and it does seem strange that I have had no problems whatsoever with any part of the car and after plugging socket back in the battery suddenly goes flat.

Both he and i feel it may have been a fault in the wiring somewhere and instead of having it repaired someone just unplugged the socket to make the problem go away.

Would I be right in thinking that this along with the bare wires in the loom should be sorted out under waranty as this has been done before I took ownership and I purchased the car at a Landrover dealership?

I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks, Jason
Post #47447431st May 2009 4:21 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Could one of those cut wires have made it's way to the earth shield of the socket? Was it close enough? If the cut wire is permanent live (likely for a tracker) then that could have done the damage...
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #47447631st May 2009 4:34 pm
the kergan

Car had flat battery again yesterday morning, so it couldnt be the socket that was connected back up. Got autoelectrix in Swindon out to start it and they took it back to their workshop.

Just been to collect it and it turns out that the relay for the heated mirrors weas stuck on and drawing 4 amps which was enough to flatten the battery overnight.

As the chap is a good friend he done it for nothing as well, so all tidy and sorted.
Post #4752982nd Jun 2009 5:06 pm
Tawny Owl

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Jason ,

Yep 4 amps is a fair whack on the battery when left all night.

4 amps is what you would get if the side lights were to be left on so would run down quite quickly Thumbs Up

Post #4754112nd Jun 2009 9:20 pm
the kergan

Well I hope they have done the trick with it, will try and start it in the morning so fingers crossed the battery won't be flat.

Cant afford to have it off the road again as i'm off to Scotland on Thursday night for a short business trip Whistle
Post #4754712nd Jun 2009 10:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >