Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Caravan TCO... :)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Caravan TCO... :)

Has anyone looked in to the TCO of caravan versus renting a property for holidays? Does it work out much cheaper?

I'm looking at it from a 4 weeks worth of holidays plus the odd weekend perspective:

2 x weeks in Cornwall for holidays = £1700 hire of a cottage
1-2 weeks at Easter = £1000 hire of a cottage
any other trips tend to be around the £3-400 a weekend

Aside from the site fees which appear to be cheap (worst I've seen seem to be around £20 a night) what other financial aspects am I missing from owning a tin tent?

We enjoy camping, reckon the tin tent is a good compromise of comfort versus camping fun with the obvious added weather protection - thing is it needs to pay for itself too.

Thoughts? Interested in both sides of the story, not just those who are 100% positive about it Smile
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #124175523rd Feb 2014 7:04 pm
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Tin tent is far cheaper , and it's already in Cornwall Whistle Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #124176023rd Feb 2014 7:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sibbo

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Hi I have done caravan holidays for around 20years up and down this country and around Europe mainly France ,Italy and Germany.i think it's down to personal preference really the cost of owning a tin tent as u put it is really getting it to your destination and back (once you've bought it and most of the crap that goes with it) that is

Our 2 week holiday in the alps is around the 20odd euro a night fees but getting it there is a bit of a pull yer pants down that said sitting outside sippin wine eatin cheese all with a smug sense of I got us here is rewarding enough for me plus I can take my toy box with me as well

Post #124176523rd Feb 2014 7:16 pm
Cellerdweller

England 

We have 4 kids 2 dogs and it's costing us £570 for 2 weeks at two different sites in July/August . There would be fuel and spends on top of that . Tintent every time for us Thumbs Up
 You're not afraid of the dark are you ?  
Post #124176623rd Feb 2014 7:16 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Assuming you are talking about a towable caravan rather than static, then you need to allow for insurance, maintenance (they do need to be serviced!)and, depending on circumstances, storage.

We are often asked the same question but from a different perspective - ie with regard to owning a yacht. In that case the 'break even' is about 6 weeks of use - anything less than that and they are better off to rent/charter, any more then ownership makes sense. This does not take account the 'benefit/return' of owning your own asset (or arguably 'liability/cost/loss of credibility' with a tin tent depending on your friends Laughing ).

The other factor which we emphasise is flexibility. Owning a caravan/boat is great in theory, provided you can be sure you will always want to spend X weeks per year in it. However, the time will come (perhaps as kids grow up/leave home/produce grand children) when you require flexibility or a change. For example, the recent winter would drive many abroad for an easter holiday simply to get some sun!
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #124176923rd Feb 2014 7:18 pm
Crost

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The key is flexibility, hundreds of sites in the UK from £7 per night you can decide and go where you want. And if your not happy you can always move Thumbs Up

Reckon on insurance around £400 and £30 a month storage, and do store nothing says you're away like a missing caravan.

Servicing for a twin axel is £250 a year.

I use ours as a hotel as when I'm working away I'd rather be in a bed I know than a strange hotel.
 Mark

Remember its only an obsession....

Mods:
Original Beanie Narpy Grill, Black lettering, De-Tango'ed, Side steps, Hids LEDs upgrade, Halo DRL, Smoked side repeaters, D4 Bluetooth upgrade, Flacks magic with the fault mate, Upgraded D4 compressor, ERG's blanked, Tints, D4 rear lights, Short rails & cross bars, LR Ladder. Reversing camera (needs activating!!) 

Post #124183223rd Feb 2014 8:36 pm
Ian McL

United Kingdom 

We love Cornwall and go to the Lizard most years. Over the years we have camped, stayed in cottages and towed a caravan.

We prefer the quiet 5 van sites which are pretty cheap

Our theory is that the van costs about the same to own over a year as the cost of a cottage for two weeks, and we have the van for weekends as a bonus.

Can't wait to try towing behind the Disco, last car was a Gaylander which was not the best up long hills

Post #124183723rd Feb 2014 8:43 pm
R500sac

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

£125 a year insurance
£150 a year servicing
£300 a year storage (but gold storage reduces the cost of insurance quite a lot)

So around £600 a year. Assuming that your Discovery currently averages 28mpg, it'll do about 24mpg with a caravan. Add on a few more bits and pieces and it'll come to about £800 a year. So just add site fees and a bit of depreciation.

We probably used ours 8 times last year. 4 of these were when i went away to work, and the family came along too! the advantage of this was the company paying for fuel and the site fees....

Post #124202424th Feb 2014 8:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

TCO on a caravan is a bit like TCO on a Disco. It will cost more than normal holidays but you have much more freedom.
If you have a dog (or two), then a caravan is ideal for holidays.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #124290125th Feb 2014 8:04 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It depends Wink

We have a 'van that we bought new for £16k, 2 years ago. Every year, it depreciates between £500 and £1000. Then you have the insurance (£250pa) extra mpg when towing, annual service £200 and so on. So, for us, financially it's not the best option, even though we use it for around 6 weeks a year.
We use it because a) we prefer the lifestyle b) much better if you have a dog

OTOH, our friend up the road bought theirs several years old for £900 (actually in pretty good nick for the age), so almost zero depreciation, just have 3rd party insurance and do most of the servicing themselves. Last year (first year they'd had it) coincided with some pretty good weather and they were away in it for 2 months - using the sites' toilet and showers. Win! Thumbs Up

Post #124299025th Feb 2014 9:58 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Ian McL wrote:
last car was a Gaylander which was not the best up long hills

Surprised by that.

I currently have an FL2 Sd4 (the disco is on order Wink and it's more than powerful enough. Only reason we're getting rid is it's too small for 2 grandchildren and 3 dogs Rolling with laughter

Post #124299425th Feb 2014 10:02 pm
Ian McL

United Kingdom 

Ours was a FL1 TD4 - only two dogs, but one is a Newfoundland and the other a Munsterlander.... and I got overtaken by a Mondeo towing a Caravan, so the Gaylander had to go

Post #124302425th Feb 2014 10:34 pm
Crost

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Fl2 never let me down in Cornwall, Derbyshire or the lakes... It's not the Disco but it worked fine
 Mark

Remember its only an obsession....

Mods:
Original Beanie Narpy Grill, Black lettering, De-Tango'ed, Side steps, Hids LEDs upgrade, Halo DRL, Smoked side repeaters, D4 Bluetooth upgrade, Flacks magic with the fault mate, Upgraded D4 compressor, ERG's blanked, Tints, D4 rear lights, Short rails & cross bars, LR Ladder. Reversing camera (needs activating!!) 

Post #124310225th Feb 2014 11:57 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

A caravan work out good value if you use it regularly. We average between 6/8 weeks away a year normally and if you shop around can get very good prices for a pitch so works out as a cheap flexible holiday. Other benefit is that if weather is poor you can move area or go home and not lose any money as most if not all sites wil refund you for noghts that you do not stay there.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #124312226th Feb 2014 12:35 am
Rpp999

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi, as you can see from the responses it all comes down to personal circumstances. Never done camping and caravaning in my life, bought a used 5 berth with every conceivable extra and accessory for £4250..
Had a great holiday in Western France last year and will be doing the same this year. I am competent enough to give a caravan an annual once over, it's kept at my property in France so I only have insurance cover to pay. I reckon on 3 to 4 holidays and I have got my initial outlay covered.

Post #124315126th Feb 2014 6:50 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >