Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Cause for Restraint Control Module failure?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
Cause for Restraint Control Module failure?

Ah the joys of D3 ownership Big Cry

So with the current cold snap i've been struggling to start the D3 as all the glow plugs are knackered.

Today though having got it started & run it for a few miles the SRS light popped up on the dash.

The IID Tool tells me it's BA100-49 which points to the restraint control module under the fridge in the centre console. Everything i've read online points to the need to replace the module. Other issues causing the SRS to illuminate such as the clock spring & damaged cabling all have different fault codes.

So before I rush off & get the module replaced I want to understand the potential cause of it's failure. Could the fact i've struggled to start the motor & therefore probable varying surges of current through the system have caused the failure?

I did note that the special programs message popped up whilst turning it over which i haven't seen since I replaced the battery last winter. so the current was probably dropping give it was -6degC

If i replace the module now could it happen again or do you think it's coincidence?

What's the thoughts or experience of fellow forum members?

Cheers

Nick Thumbs Up
 MY16 D4 Landmark SDV6 (The Ice Maiden)
Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
MY08 D3 HSE Stornoway (Miss Moneypit) The money tree withered...... 

Post #19207531st Mar 2018 4:35 pm
parrafin23

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had the same issue once, srs light on. checked everyting, visual inspection..
got the codes from the module, cant remember the code, but the text was "internal electronic failure" ish. I tried to reflash it with different softwares but to no vail. I did the live value reading to check if all the airbags where within spec, (resistance) and it was. a new module was bought from Yeovill pre programed to my vin. I did not dare to fidde with it my self so I had the dealer do it, and they knacked the module by trying to program it without a good battery conditioner. I think they did throw a 10ah battery charger on it to be on the safe side. i have been there for 4 hours by then, They had to order a new module, thats the only way they could fix the problem. I plugget the msv-2 in and programed the same module within 5 mins. and the srs ligt's out. They did not charge me anything and when I left they where just standing by the entrance looking like they did not understand what just happend!

Mr.P

Post #19234677th Mar 2018 2:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
furnitureman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Before you go buying any parts check the battery if it’s struggling to start due to bad glow plugs the battery could be on its way or at best lie on charge, I was getting all sorts of faults on my previous battery, a good charge did help but it just wasn’t upto the job so a new one fittedvall faults gone, unfortunately they do not like low voltages at all, worth a check
 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8 what a car
Discovery 3 HSE 2006 gone but never forgotten
Member of the 234,567 mile club😎

Post #19235377th Mar 2018 4:39 pm
Skagg

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

parrafin23 wrote:
I had the same issue once, srs light on. checked everyting, visual inspection..
got the codes from the module, cant remember the code, but the text was "internal electronic failure" ish. I tried to reflash it with different softwares but to no vail. I did the live value reading to check if all the airbags where within spec, (resistance) and it was. a new module was bought from Yeovill pre programed to my vin. I did not dare to fidde with it my self so I had the dealer do it, and they knacked the module by trying to program it without a good battery conditioner. I think they did throw a 10ah battery charger on it to be on the safe side. i have been there for 4 hours by then, They had to order a new module, thats the only way they could fix the problem. I plugget the msv-2 in and programed the same module within 5 mins. and the srs ligt's out. They did not charge me anything and when I left they where just standing by the entrance looking like they did not understand what just happend!

Mr.P

Thanks for the insight Mr P. It booked in with the dealer for later in the week & i'm expecting a replacement RCM to be the solution.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #19236177th Mar 2018 7:28 pm
Skagg

furnitureman wrote:
Before you go buying any parts check the battery if it’s struggling to start due to bad glow plugs the battery could be on its way or at best lie on charge, I was getting all sorts of faults on my previous battery, a good charge did help but it just wasn’t upto the job so a new one fittedvall faults gone, unfortunately they do not like low voltages at all, worth a check

Good advice furnitureman. When I replaced the battery 12 months ago it was for the same reasons you raise. All kinds of faults. A replacement Exide EA1000 battery solved this.

The past weeks weather has been an exception to the norm this far west, usually the fact the plugs are goosed doesn't cause much of an issue but when the temperature dropped to -6 or so it wasn't happy!

Once the RCM had been checked out by the dealer it's off to my local indy to see how many plugs he can get out & replace without breaking any. At least a couple of working plugs will be better than none Laughing

Post #19236217th Mar 2018 7:34 pm
furnitureman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

There was a chap who had someone out to replace the plugs with great success but at a cost, I’d personally fit a remote fbh so you can preheat and it will start every time and much cheaper
 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8 what a car
Discovery 3 HSE 2006 gone but never forgotten
Member of the 234,567 mile club😎

Post #19236357th Mar 2018 7:58 pm
Skagg

Back from the dealer today & the RCM replaced, fault cured. Thumbs Up

Post #19242689th Mar 2018 3:47 pm
Crackers

England 

Hi - how much was the RCM please?

Post #192602514th Mar 2018 11:28 am
Skagg

It was around 338 plus vat plus fitting which took around an hour. Without looking up the bill

Post #192613314th Mar 2018 3:43 pm
Crackers

England 

Hi Skagg - do you know if the RCU had to be 'programmed' once fitted and if it was part number NNW512000?
Cheers!

Post #193783618th Apr 2018 4:11 pm
Skagg

Hi Crackers,

Yes, i'm sure it had to be paired with the car in some way. That's why I took it to the dealer rather than do it myself. Swapping it over would be a doddle, programming it....another level.

Cheers

Nick

Post #193796218th Apr 2018 9:12 pm
Crackers

England 

Cheers Nick! Thumbs Up

Post #193796318th Apr 2018 9:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >