Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Centre console removal -how to?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Scout Leader

United Kingdom 
Centre console removal -how to?

Just got myself a cool box to fit in the centre console cubby box. Instructions say that the centre console all needs to come out to get at fixing screws and electric feed for new cool box. Had a quick look but can't see where the fixings are. Am I missing something is it simple or am I setting myself up for one of those 'difficult' jobs. Cheers

Post #3557316th Oct 2008 9:55 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I think if you pull the gear leaver off and then remove the rubber mat under the ashtray you can then remove the trim around the gear lever - that should expose some screws in and around the centre console.

Start there and have a look - the trim comes off with a good pull - dont be affraid Whistle

Post #3557436th Oct 2008 10:37 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Pull gear knob upwards....hard.

Undo screw under EPB lever.

Pull the consol upwards.......hard.

Thats the main part out.

Cubby Box?...............dunno.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #3557796th Oct 2008 1:19 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

you need to look in Wiggs gallery. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #3558996th Oct 2008 6:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I needed to know this too, and guess who came to the rescue......Wiggs Thumbs Up Thumbs Up , if you pm him I am sure he will find the document on removal procedure. It aint hard, but its handy to know where the clips n screws are Thumbs Up

Post #3559096th Oct 2008 6:51 pm
Will Hay

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sorry to drag up old posts but in needing to take the centre console out myself and fining this post when searching I thought I would post the following...

http://www.myrovers.com/?p=731
 D3 incl. genuine glass windscreen, front bi-focal headlights, full width rear bumper, self levelling washer bottle contents and audible 'tick tock' indicator stalk
911 GT3 had one [never]
R8 V12 just gone [past me]
Piiss highest up a wall winner runner up 1979 

Post #7938927th May 2011 1:50 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Not at all clear from these posts...

What do we do with the auto gear selector? (I'm not going "PULL- HARD" on that...)

Are there any more fixing screws that the one under the EPB? One in the "sunspecs holder"? Is that the useless little slot on the passenger side?

I did try to check Wiggs' gallery but there are too many pics Big Cry

A
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #79650314th May 2011 7:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Gear lever: Just pull upward and beware, do NOT hold your face over it as it will come off at once after a little resistance.
Useless tray: take the rubber tray out and there is one screw underneath.
There are no more screws in the centre console but you must disconnect connectors of epb and tr knob.

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #79652014th May 2011 8:26 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Cheers, Wiljo!.

Heart in mouth... (I HATE plastic...) (and brute force.).

A
Post #79652514th May 2011 8:32 pm
wvlenthe

I hate the gearstick because in spite of the warnings I hit my upper lip anyway.
Also there were two different size of torx screws and a philips head one in the whole console assembly.

The cubby box is a different story, you need to remove the lid and a few more screws on the front facing side.

Good luck, once you have taken it apart once you will do it in half a minute the next time.

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #79652714th May 2011 8:37 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...emoval.pdf

I had this bookmarked, sorry I don't know who the file belongs to

Post #79652814th May 2011 8:38 pm
AndrewW

Thanks all!

REALLY did not like applying >60lb (=27kg)pull on a Sensitive (?) organ like an auto gear selector... Still it came off... no fat lip... went back... and still selects gears. It's the last bit that impresses me!

Thankfully, I was not after removing the fridge/cubby box bit. I only wanted to release the bit of rim in front of the centre console to get the ashtray panel out. The ashtray, although never used, came open one day and would never stay closed. Post mortem reveals fractured and lost 2mm plastic peg which works the push-open-push-closed mechanism.

Must have taken an hour and a half to remove gear selector, H-panel, centre console, bit of trim, old ashtray panel, 12v sockets from old panel, and round up all the spring clips...

5 minutes to re-assemble. Push. Push. Click Twizzle. Done. AND the bits that should light up light up, and the bits that should select gears, terrain response and suspension height all do their bit. Shocked

All that, just to have an unused ashtray stay shut.

Evil or Very Mad
Post #79658714th May 2011 11:48 pm
wvlenthe

AND a very satisfied feeling of having accomplished something and knowing more about your D3.
Post #79661515th May 2011 7:24 am
AndrewW

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

And I'll swear I get 2 more mpg with the new ashtray!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks all

EDIT That's definite! 23.4mpg on a shopping trip into Manchester. MAP sensor SCHMAPP sensor! It's the ashtray...
Wink
Post #79666415th May 2011 10:44 am
Discogee3

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Hi.

I saw your article and wanted to dig a little deeper if I may..

I am trying to rernew a Gear Linkage assembly on my D3 TDV6 as the gear lever feels very sloppy.

Can you advise maybe hints n tips. Pics? Did you succeed ? Was it worth the effort? Did it make a big difference? Do I remove just the Console and gear lever console to get full access?

Thanks

Post #130436329th Jun 2014 10:20 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >