Being Charged for Diagnostic work under LR Warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MG
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Being Charged for Diagnostic work under LR Warranty

Hi

Is it now the case that LR dealers can charge for (in my case an hour's labour at £180) to do some simple diagnostic work? Seems a little odd to me given that the car has LR warranty and if the dealer finds a fault he will get paid for the repair by LR warranty?

I asked my dealer to check during its annual service (at £492) a wheel bearing noise, a clunk in the drive shaft, drooping gas struts at the rear and an ongoing issue with the rear parking sensors (which the dealer has tried to fix for last couple of years).

Peculiar that they seem to want money for every thing these days. This is for me another bad impression of the service from LR. Had a bulb fail on the MOT and they charged me the £2 for it on a full price MOT.

My wife's old car had MOT and there were a couple of bulbs out on it and they said no charge sir and this was on a discounted MOT!!

Is charging for so called diagnostic work commonplace?

Cheers

MG
 MG

HSE V6 Diesel
Buckingham Blue
Ebony Leather
Side Steps
Mini Fridge
Rosen A7 Roof-mount DVD player
Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
Removable Towbar and Elecs
Pure Highway DAB
Portable Fridge 

Post #212366925th Feb 2020 8:16 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

That should all be checked at a service anyway, seeing as the car is already plugged into the computer for the service reset...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #212367125th Feb 2020 8:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I’m afraid it is....as you say disappointing and actually just leaves a bad taste in your mouth...surely during the service it takes two minutes to spot a potential fault thats been highlighted by the owner...

I’ve had this now a number of times at my dealer.. it’s actually going to have a negative impact as I will now only use them purely for the basic service just to get the stamp in the book...other works will go to an independent..

I understand with a difficult diagnosis that it takes time but the dealer should know whether it’s likely to be covered on warranty prior to the work...the trouble is now it’s playing Russian roulette whether it’s worth the risk...

I suppose one thing it does is improve JLR’s reliability rating as people are now too frightened to report any issues!

Post #212367525th Feb 2020 8:26 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I'm more impressed that you can still get an LR Warranty on a 15 year old motor Surprised
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #212367625th Feb 2020 8:31 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

The only way it will stop is for all of us to complain about it when JLR contact us post service with their satisfaction surveys..

I gave my dealer the first ever negative feedback I had given after my windscreen debacle, when after having the car three days to diagnose water pouring in through a faulty windscreen seal they told me that water ingress was not covered by the warranty.... this was the original screen whose seals had totally failed..I.e.a fault at the factory... they tried doing the same re charging! And it was an approved used car with 9000 miles on... needless to say I was livid!

Post #212367725th Feb 2020 8:33 am
MG
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi DG - LR Select Warranty will cover any age of car under 100,000 miles...
 MG

HSE V6 Diesel
Buckingham Blue
Ebony Leather
Side Steps
Mini Fridge
Rosen A7 Roof-mount DVD player
Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
Removable Towbar and Elecs
Pure Highway DAB
Portable Fridge 

Post #212368225th Feb 2020 9:00 am
Pelyma

England 

You know the answer Ian Laughing
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #212369425th Feb 2020 9:38 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

I believe the warranty company will only pay the dealer standard average hourly rates i.e. around £60 per hour so its not in the dealers interests to deal with warranty work, unless they can claw back some of their 'missing' £120 per hour.
they do this by adding on little jobs that they can do whilst their mechanic is working on something else (such as seals or lubricants or minor components etc)
this is why they nearly always pick up brakes when they do the health check, its a money recovery game for them

I had to have a new gearbox, transfer box and other bits changed under warranty on an approved Evoque I used to have, the dealer was brilliant as they didn't sell me the car, it was another main dealer and apparently the costs would be off set against the supplying dealer who 'approved' it rather than the one doing the warranty work. Total bill about £7500 Shocked
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #212369925th Feb 2020 9:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >