Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Charging the camping trailer battery ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
P1DNC

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4
Charging the camping trailer battery ?

So I have a trailer with leisure batteries and a fridge.

I would like to run the fridge when driving to keep the beer etc nice and cold.

My intention is to charge the batteries prior to travelling and to power the fridge whilst driving off the leisure batteries

However I would also like to maintain the battery charge whilst driving.

So as I have 12s electrics on the Disco I would like to make the 12s wiring loom up myself.

I've trawled the internet and spoken to several people however I'm still not convinced that I have the right set up in my mind.

I can buy a 12s plug and some 7 core wiring however do I need a split charger ?

or is the D4 12s supply already switched so that I could run a straight 12v positive and negative connection direct to the battery from the 12s connection ?

If I do run a direct connection then I imagine I would need a fuse, if so what ampage ? 10, 20, 30, or even 40 amps ?

That's all I can think of at the moment but any advise would be appreciated.

Oheers Phil.

Post #12340939th Feb 2014 11:13 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Hi Phil, A nice trailer it is too!

I think I am right in saying that the standard 12S (grey) plug on the D4 has two positive feeds, one switched with ignition, and the other permanently connected to the vehicles positive. It must have because it is possible to charge the D4 battery from the trailer socket!

However, if you use this to run a high consumption fridge (NOT an Engel or similar, but the kind of fridge you get in a caravan) it would quickly flatten the car battery. Hence the second fridge supply that only connects when the engine is running.

So, yes the car does have a split charge system on the fridge supply. I think the permanent supply is just used to charge the trailer battery.

Incidentally, I collected my new caravan yesterday, and it has solar panels on the roof that produce enough power to charge 2 leisure batteries. Its a Truma system, so may be something that you want to look at? Seems dead easy to fit and wire up, and produces plenty of power, even at this time of year!

Post #12341149th Feb 2014 11:41 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Phil, Gareth is correct, a perm 12v live and a separate fridge 12v live and neg exist in the socket,, the later only being live above a certain voltage when the engine is running.

You have a posh fridge so would be ok, but I'd still use the switched feeds anyway to protect the D4 battery

I can't recall the pin numbers but can get them, I use the perm pins in reverse to charge via the ctek Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #123412510th Feb 2014 12:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
P1DNC

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Hi Gareth,

Thank you that's great information. Thumbs Up , and thank you it is a nice trailer I'm well pleased with it.

I've spent the last two Saturdays in my garage doing all sorts of jobs on it (fitting new no plate light, installing a citek charger and reconditioning the two batteries.

Re the 12s connection...

So in theory I can use the switched positive to charge the battery, I'm assuming that the std seven core cable must be OK for the load.

The trailer has an Engel fridge so I'm thinking it doesn't use a lot of amps.

My theory is just to lightly charge the battery as I'm moving to keep the charge up, and run the fridge at the same time.

Yes I agree on the Solar panels they seem to have come a long way in the past few years, something I've already thought about.
Its a job for later in the year

( In the meantime its going to be interesting to see what Adrian does on his new setup with regard to Solar panels)

Greg,

Thanks buddy I have the pin outs on the connector.

So If we are right then I can just connect the switched live and appropriate earth directly to the batteries to maintain the charge.

just another thought......Could I overcharge the batteries

Thanks again to you both for your help Thumbs Up

Post #123414110th Feb 2014 1:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >