Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > eBay & Bargain Spots

Very cheap tent.. £55 with code
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Rescue01 wrote:
Dam you I’ve just ordered both the two man tents to try for my daughter.

Not bad for £110 Laughing

Not a bad shout getting both. The other 2-man, sorry, 2-person, is a Pitch-Inner-First, so not so great if foul weather is expected, but at nearly 1kg lighter it would be the one to take if you were hiking/camping in a dry spell.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #233452225th Apr 2023 4:49 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

https://www.reddit.com/r/wildcampingintheu...ter_first/

Reddit also experimenting and equally curious whether it will be Censored or ‘not bad for 50 quid’
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #233456425th Apr 2023 9:07 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Rather large box just arrived from PlanetX - Tent looks good from a quick glance, unfortunately work and drizzle mean I can't try it out just now in the garden Neutral

Can't believe how cheap these dry bags were too Shocked
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy

Post #233460426th Apr 2023 9:25 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Mine will be marginally heavier than just a tent as I may have included a cheap jetboil copy that I'm keen to test Laughing
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #233461926th Apr 2023 10:37 am
James W

United Kingdom 

I had a call cancelled and the sun's come out so I've had it up in the garden. Overall... clearly not a £300-400 tent but I'm generally happy and surprised at what you get for £50

- The inner connects to the outer with about 12 little hangers but you can then leave it attached which is good
- The inner is proper solid material not mesh, although there is a mesh door option
- Ventilation seems good with good mesh vents front and back
- There is a pocket for the door which is good
- There's a little porch groundsheet but you can fold that away
- The bathtub groundsheet is very thin - I will be using a ripstop tarp under it
- The outer is not top level ripstop and is thin but it seems consistently coated and the seam tape seems pretty okay
- The amount of bend you need to put on the poles will have your eyes closed and your teeth gritted - the pole receivers could do with adjusters really
- There's no lantern hanger but there are side pockets
- Space is good and it looks good up, the outer seems well shaped and fitted
- The outer comes down nice and low to the ground which is great for UK wind and weather
- The inner is a nice bright colour so it's not to oppressively red inside
- The zips work well but you can tell they are cheaper ones by the feel of them
- The poles seems fine, all lightweight alu poles are brittle, if they can handle the pressure of putting it up I'm confident they will take some wind

I'd not be using this in the depths of a winter storm. Be interesting to see how waterproof it is, especially the groundsheet. But if you grumble at what you get for £50 odd, you'd be very unfair

Post #233465226th Apr 2023 12:22 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Interesting the inner isn't mesh - looks like they've aimed this more at the hills and mountains use where you're less likely to have condensation concerns and will be more into draft avoidance/heat preservation

At 3.2kg plus a better groundsheet section, so 3.4-3.5kg all in it's not terrible for that usage. As you say, for £50 it's not a drama!
Post #233466526th Apr 2023 12:55 pm
KevinD3

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

NoDo$h wrote:
Mine will be marginally heavier than just a tent as I may have included a cheap jetboil copy that I'm keen to test Laughing

NoDo$h, let me know how that goes, I’m after one and looked at that one, capacity looked a bit small and the write up said boil a ltr in 4.5m I think? Seemed a bit slow compared to others but price looks good Smile
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

My Wife thinks the D3 is a hobby, The D3 thinks the wife is 💕 

Post #233482927th Apr 2023 3:45 pm
Rescue01

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Kevin I bought two of those Jet Boil clones last year and for the money they are fantastic value.As I’ve said before you couldn’t buy the stand pot holder and the coffee plunger separate for that price.Mine have been used a fair bit and I’m happy with them.
 Its not the height of the fall but the sudden stop at the bottom that hurts!!  
Post #233483627th Apr 2023 4:30 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Sounds like a wild camping test is required for all these respective tents!

Post #233483727th Apr 2023 4:31 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

James W wrote:

- The inner connects to the outer with about 12 little hangers but you can then leave it attached which is good
- The inner is proper solid material not mesh, although there is a mesh door option
- Ventilation seems good with good mesh vents front and back
- There is a pocket for the door which is good
- There's a little porch groundsheet but you can fold that away
- The bathtub groundsheet is very thin - I will be using a ripstop tarp under it
- The outer is not top level ripstop and is thin but it seems consistently coated and the seam tape seems pretty okay
- The amount of bend you need to put on the poles will have your eyes closed and your teeth gritted - the pole receivers could do with adjusters really
- There's no lantern hanger but there are side pockets
- Space is good and it looks good up, the outer seems well shaped and fitted
- The outer comes down nice and low to the ground which is great for UK wind and weather
- The inner is a nice bright colour so it's not to oppressively red inside
- The zips work well but you can tell they are cheaper ones by the feel of them
- The poles seems fine, all lightweight alu poles are brittle, if they can handle the pressure of putting it up I'm confident they will take some wind

I'd not be using this in the depths of a winter storm. Be interesting to see how waterproof it is, especially the groundsheet. But if you grumble at what you get for £50 odd, you'd be very unfair

Found the lantern hanger.

Click image to enlarge

I really like the "through" mesh at the rear - pretty much directly above where your face would be if you were solo and would help a lot with condensation

Weighed mine and it came in at 2850g. As you mention, the ground sheet is very thin so a tarp and a thermarest or similar under any lightweight bed that may puncture, but as a 2-3 season tent for chucking in a backpack and heading off into the hills/woods/mountains for one or two days off grid, I'm very happy with it.
Post #23352101st May 2023 4:33 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

KevinD3 wrote:
NoDo$h wrote:

NoDo$h, let me know how that goes, I’m after one and looked at that one, capacity looked a bit small and the write up said boil a ltr in 4.5m I think? Seemed a bit slow compared to others but price looks good Smile

Tested it with 500ml as I'd never boil one when it's close to the brim, and that's enough for a couple of brews or to cook up a dinner for one. Using a Coleman 70/30 Butane/Propane canister it hit a full rolling boil in 2m10s, so 30s longer than a Jetboil Flash 2, for a 5th of the price Mr. Green
Post #23352111st May 2023 4:42 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Nice work on finding a hanger. I should have actually got in the thing properly, obviously Laughing

Post #23352241st May 2023 8:01 pm
edwardandtubs

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

For those who bought the tent from Planet-X, did you get it next day?. Just been told I'm going camping with my son tomorrow night!
 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Santorini MY12
Discovery 3 GS Manual Java MY07 ( gone )
Mini Cooper S 

Post #233771425th May 2023 10:20 am
James W

United Kingdom 

Bought mine Monday evening, it arrived midday Wednesday.

I slept in mine in the garden last weekend just to try it out Laughing

Was very pleased but I think if you're tall it will be tight, I'm 5'10" and if I lie straight then I touch both ends head/feet

Post #233773025th May 2023 12:34 pm
edwardandtubs

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks - the missus bought me a Cairns 4 Deluxe Nightfall Tent second-hand for £40 thats hardly been used.

Still like the look of this tent for solo camps tho Smile
 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Santorini MY12
Discovery 3 GS Manual Java MY07 ( gone )
Mini Cooper S 

Post #233779426th May 2023 7:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >