Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Check your D4's as I also have a D4 smoker as per 747JK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Russell

United Kingdom 
Check your D4's as I also have a D4 smoker as per 747JK

Car is a D4 HSE registered end Oct 09 and is the 3.0 litre auto.
Back in December 2009 a work colleague commented on the smoke from my car and at the time I was not aware of this. I did not take that much notice until some one else also made a comment. As a result I started to run with the rear camera on and being able to observe the rear view. Occasionally I would notice a fairly small but still noticeable smoke screen flowing acceleration from either stand still or following steady driving and then hard acceleration. This was reported to the dealer and they agreed to have the car in, in the New Year. In January they took the car away and had a look but could not find anything.

I continued to observe the smoke and also noticed a marked drop off in fuel consumption, so again the car went back. The dealer did more work and diagnosed a faulty EGR valve N/S. After consultation with LR technical a new one was ordered and eventually replace. A good will gesture was made for this work by LR.

However the smoke did not reduce and in fact appeared to be getting slightly worse. I was already checking the oil level on a weekly basis but was now concerned as the smoke had a blue tinge to it, to the point I was checking it on a daily basis, apart from one two week period where the car used a lot of oil there has been no excesive oil usage, in fact apart from the two week period it has used hardly any oil.. The fuel economy had increased slightly and this seemed to bear out an issue with the EGR they had replaced.

Again the car went back to the dealers and again the dealer went to LR technical who now confirmed they were aware of a technical fault with all 3.0 litre engines as a growing number of owners were now reporting this, they confirmed it was in the D4 and RRS 3.0 engine models.

The car has been in on a number of occasions and LR customer services and the dealer have been good. However 6 weeks ago LR customer service advisor who had been dealing with me informed me that they could not assist until the technical issue had been identified and rectified and a mod was released for the fault. Until then I was on my own and would receive no more help from them. She did however advise that the fix may be a while off and I should reject the car, although I have since been told I cannot as I have had it to long????????

I am now in contact with a more senior customer service advisor who seems to want to help as does the dealer, but neither seems to contact me, I have to chase them all the time. Both are advising me that there is a fix coming but when?

I have also been offered the chance for the vehicle to go in and be stripped down to clean all the pipe work out associated with the turbos. This will remove the buil up of oil that is causing the issue. However both the dealer and LR customer services have stated that “although this is the recommendation from LR technical, it is only a short term fix and the smoke will return very quickly, possibly buy the time it has been driven from the dealers to home” as a result I have declined this offer and await a more permanent fix.

Please check you D4’s and RRS and report any issues back, my own dealer has confirmed he has a number of vehicles with the same fault.

One last point there is video footage on Youtube that shows the smoke screen accelerating from approximately 40 MPH after a steady drive at 40 mph.
There is also another thread coverinv the same fault on another D4 http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic55820-15.html
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Last edited by Russell on 28th Sep 2010 10:41 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #69772228th Sep 2010 8:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Do you know if you have oil in the air filter?
We've had a couple where oil has entered the airbox due to fault with the secondary turbo shut off valve (SCOV - I think). Do you know if this has been replaced (if part of the RH turbo assembly)?

Post #69789528th Sep 2010 7:33 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Have not checked the air box, it goes in on Friday so will get them to check.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #69799428th Sep 2010 10:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >