Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Christmas lights on dash and then no power
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Hi Steve,

we couldn't check as the nanocom kept reporting too many errors to download (Parallax33 has same issue when using it on his disco so i think its more box settings rather than my disco - that's what I keep telling myself anyway) Whistle

If its okay with you it might be worth me swinging by at some point to see if any more errors reported from the IIDTool to put my mind at rest. I will double check with Geoff on here to see if he thinks your original error list is anything to worry about!

cheers

Nick
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #134107915th Sep 2014 7:43 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Did you let the car go to sleep fully before removing the old battery? That may account for the large number of faults.

Happy to read faults again with IIDTool - no problem. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #134110315th Sep 2014 8:01 pm
Khauff

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Just received some pics from my friend who is stranded over in Germany with his D4 MY 13 with similar issues. I told him that I will upload onto forum for some advice.

He parked the car up overnight with no warning lights, the following morning ignition on he received all the below error messages and the car would not start. He locked car and unlocked twice before it eventually started. He now has engine management light on continuously, it doesn't flash. No loss of engine power either still pulls like an Elephant on Steroids as he says Laughing

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[/img]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]
[/img]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Before he left UK he had the same problem and the dealer brought it down to the ECU engine management pcb connecter. Every module on the car had failed when they put the diagnostic machine onto it. Some pins were slack on the pcb connector and were tightened up, no signs of corrosion.

Hi car is just 1 year old with 6000 odd miles, any help greatly appreciated.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #134117115th Sep 2014 9:27 pm
Famousfive

sorry to hear of your friends woe. Those are the exact warnings I got last week; it's brought back some bad memories Big Cry
I didn't have the orange ecu light come on so there might be something else that he's got issues with that I didn't experience. My advice to him is get fault codes read (and post on here) and then think about an AGM battery to give it that extra starting power.

Wish him luck Thumbs Up

Nick
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #134120115th Sep 2014 9:41 pm
Famousfive

Here we go again

Steve, I'll PM you about fault codes as I'm back where I started Sad .

Same thing happened this morning after 3 starting my third short journey of the day (6.30am gym; 8.00am Kids and dogs; 8.40am Kids to school) same error messages as before and detailed above. Luckily I could limp to safety and restarted. Absolutely fine after asking with ride height would be required.

Noticed both times that around 15 minutes later I have a one time power loss on acceleration and then its fine...

After school drop off had meeting in Wiltshire and the disco was great - but not going to seeing this is a viable solution to my family requirements if 3 short runs Censored it up.

Shame, really hoping the ATM battery would give it the grunt I thought it would need Big Cry
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #134355218th Sep 2014 4:52 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Sorry to hear that, Nick. Evil or Very Mad

You've not lost anything by putting a new AGM battery on the car. As soon as the winter comes, you'll be grateful you did. Thumbs Up

Happy to do another fault code read, though, no problem at all. Thumbs Up

In the meantime, perhaps somebody could comment on the brake light switch codes mentioned above... Whistle

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #134356218th Sep 2014 4:59 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Did you make any progress with this fault Famousfive or khauff?

Had pretty much the same thing this morning. D4 threw an absolute hissy fit as I approached an island. I was braking on the approach to the island and got the following messages and bongs on the dash (probably not all of them as there were so many):
Restricted performance
Cruise not available
Stability control not available drive with care Shocked
Park brake fault
Gearbox fault
Suspension fault
Emergency brake assist not available
Airbag yellow light on, EPB yellow light on, DSC yellow light on. Obviously yellow warning triangle on.
Had the IID with me, almost every module had an error code along the lines of Invalid data received from engine control module/powertrain control module.

After a lot of fiddling, cycling the ignition a few times, clearing faults one by one to eliminate things came down to the following substantive faults:

P0571-68 (68 ) Brake switch A circuit - Algorithm based failure - event information
P0504-62 (28 ) Brake switch A/B correlation - Algorithm based failure - signal compare failure

Does the D4 suffer from the same brake switch issues that a D3 does, the switches look the same even though the part numbers are different?

Last edited by discoteca on 12th Oct 2014 11:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #135704612th Oct 2014 11:27 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well its obviously the cheap place to start!

Post #135705012th Oct 2014 11:29 pm
discoteca

Indeed, have ordered a brake switch just in case. All was fine this morning, had a quick check for fault codes, nothing more than a couple of spurious lost communincations with blah blah module codes so all seems well at the moment.

I'll wait and see what happens over the next few days. No doubt it will decide to throw all the toys out of the pram again at the least convenient moment Rolling Eyes

Post #135713513th Oct 2014 9:21 am
Famousfive

discoteca wrote:
Did you make any progress with this fault Famousfive or khauff?

Really sorry to hear that discoteca Big Cry

No, didn't get any further with the brake switch fault code. It was something Woolmeister thought someone on here would have some views about. I did PM geoff. about the faults codes but heard nothing back (and I think he was offline for a bit around then).
I have been driving a bit less like Miss Daisy early in the mornings and haven't had a recurrence so far Shocked .

So, discoteca, could you let me know the details of the brake switch part and where it goes and I'll get one ordered too!

thanks

Nick
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #135714613th Oct 2014 9:33 am
discoteca

Will do Nick. I'm not going to fit the new brake switch yet because, having only had the fault once, I want to see if it reoccurs before I start changing things so I can be more confident about whether I've found the problem or not.
A little part of me is hoping that it was a one off and it wont reoccur, although somehow I doubt it.
For the time being the new switch will sit in the glove box just in case.
I've not looked yet how to fit one but I'm guessing its fairly easy and much the same as on a D3, no doubt there will be posts on how to do it just haven't had time to look yet.

Post #135714913th Oct 2014 9:44 am
discoteca

Well one week on and it clearly wasn't an isolated incident. D4 had been fine all week however Sunday morning exactly the same thing happened.
The odd thing about this was that it was exactly and I do mean exactly the same place/time/situation where it happened the Sunday before. I don't really believe in coincidence so whilst I clearly have an issue, there is also a combination of events that is triggering it.

So my Sunday mornings are usually the same. Loaded the dogs up in the back, drove about 3 miles down our lane, approaching the traffic island at the bottom at about 35mph, braked, indicated right and bong bong bong. All the same messages, warning lights, and (when I pulled over) same fault codes stored. It was probably within 10 feet of where it happened the Sunday before on exactly the same journey (and this isn't the first time of braking on the journey).

Anyway, I still don't know if it is the brake switch that's causing it but I've got a new one ready to go in but don't know if I'll have the time to fit it this week. The root cause fault codes still seem to be P0571 Brake switch A circuit and P0504 Brake switch A/B correlation so I guess its a case of sticking the new switch in and keeping fingers crossed.

I know two others following this post have had exactly the same issue so will keep it updated with what happens.

Post #136114620th Oct 2014 9:10 am
Khauff

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Just seen your post.

My friend had the PCB connector pins tightend up once again and was good for a week or so and the same problem arose.

Land Rover had his vehicle for over 2 weeks and they replaced the whole engine wiring harness which has now resolved all the problems. Apparently they have come across this before on other vehicles and that was the cure.

They believe that a connector was at fault but which one was anyone's guess. They put it down to a connector expanding during heat and contracting once cooling causing a poor connection which failed all modules.

His motor has been trouble free since.

Post #137196711th Nov 2014 11:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >