Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Christmas lights on dash and then no power
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Christmas lights on dash and then no power

After meting up with a friend this morning to walk the dog I was singing the praises of my D4 and I how I love it and it's been great down to France etc. etc. .. Famous last words.

I'd driven 5 miles to him this morning around 6.30a.m. showed him the D4 and then we started up again on a short journey to walk hounds. 2 minutes into the journey the dash starts lighting up like a Christmas tree with warning messages ... Electronic stability not working....gearbox fault ....electronic handbrake not available ...message after message until finally I lose all power. Manage to limp it to the side of the road (much to the confusion of my mate following) and then stop and restart. Everything reset and appears to be ok but to be honest I'm not thrilled after having this happen less than a month into ownership... I've had cars stop for no apparent reason before and I hate it Sad . Any members seen this behaviour or have any ideas or would it be worth getting West4x4 to take a look over.
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #13369309th Sep 2014 8:23 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Welcome to Land Rover ownership Thumbs Up

I doubt Mark will be able to take a look at it for a month or so; he's always a very busy bloke but might be worth a call to him just in case.

First step would be to get your fault codes read. A number of us have fault code readers who would be willing to do this for you. I have an IIDTool and at least one other nearby has a Nanocom.

Could be any number of things but I suspect the brake light switch or a faulty wheel speed sensor. It's unfair to speculate at this point but fault codes first.

Let me know if I can help; I appear to be just down the road from you. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #13369619th Sep 2014 9:37 am
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

Have a look at the battery. If it is still the original, my money is on that being the problem. Early batteries on d4 were not up to the job. Put an AGM on. First cool morning...two short starts....
 d4 HSE  
Post #13369709th Sep 2014 9:55 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Bear in mind that if you do put an AGM battery on it, you will need to tell the D4 that you've fitted an AGM battery. This would need to be done using a diagnostic tool like a Nanocom, MSV2 or IIDTool.

FWIW, I'm still on my original battery in my D3. 7.5 years old and 111k miles now. Whistle

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #13369749th Sep 2014 10:04 am
stick

Hi Steve

I think that either the d4 needs more power, or they just put rubbish batteries on the early ones. Many tales of woe last winter, and the winter before, so only lasted 3 years.

I put an AGM on last year, and haven't told the car. I assume it is probably not charging quite as efficiently, but it certainly doesn't seem to be a problem....

George
 d4 HSE  
Post #13369769th Sep 2014 10:07 am
geoff.

England 

get fault codes read

battery,alternator,and a host of other things including a falling crank sensor seen it before

Post #13369849th Sep 2014 10:21 am
Famousfive

Woolmeister wrote:
Welcome to Land Rover ownership Thumbs Up
Let me know if I can help; I appear to be just down the road from you. Thumbs Up
Steve

Hi all, thanks for the support and info, fingers crossed it'll be a combo of cold morning and short journeys that has triggered this.

Steve, thank you, getting the fault codes read sounds like a great start. You are right i'm just down the road in Bassett and kids go to North Baddesley / Romsey so I'm always up your way. If you can PM me a good time (I work from home mostly so can come over whenever is good for you). I'll come armed with a bottle of red / white or beers to say thanks Smile

Nick
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #13369999th Sep 2014 10:46 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

You have a PM, Nick. Thumbs Up

Steve

Post #13370029th Sep 2014 10:54 am
Famousfive

So I'm hoping this is the offending item. Just taken short journey at lunch and all fine but it has warmed up a bit! Going to meet up with Steve tomorrow to check battery and hopefully look at fault codes if tool allows.

Click image to enlarge
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #13371529th Sep 2014 2:54 pm
Famousfive

Just got back from Steve's - great guy and very helpful - thanks again Steve.

I'm thinking its battery as multimeter reading this morning before start-up was just under 12V and then when I got to Steve's around 12.5V.

Steve's IIDTool (these are fancy pieces of kit) read the following faults

ABS-Brake Module
    • U0401-68 (A8 ) Invalid data received from engine control module/powertrain control module - Algorithm based failure - event information
    IPC-Instrument Pack
    • B1A85-96 (28 ) Ambient light sensor circuit - Component failure - internal failure
    PBM-Parking Brake
    • U0401-00 (28 ) Invalid data received from engine control module/powertrain control module
    PCM-Engine SDV6
    • P0571-68 (68 ) Brake switch A circuit - Algorithm based failure - event information
    • P0504-62 (28 ) Brake switch A/B correlation - Algorithm based failure - signal compare failure
    TCM-Transmission 6spd
    • U0415-64 (28 ) Invalid data received from ABS control module - Algorithm based failure - signal plausibility failure
    • P0826-62 (68 ) Up and down switch input circuit - Algorithm based failure - signal compare failure

So unless anyone things I've got a serious problem somewhere, the plan is to update battery - will speak to Steve at Advanced Factors about options and take things from there.

thanks again all Thumbs Up
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #133765210th Sep 2014 10:00 am
stick

Hope that solves your problem.

If you have a use for a 12v battery, don't throw the old one away. Plenty of life in it, just not enough for a d4. I have put mine on a MF135 and it has been fine on there for a year now. I don't know anything about electrics but seems to me that the d4 requires tip-top power all the time to function correctly.
 d4 HSE  
Post #133766810th Sep 2014 10:29 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Good to meet you, too, Nick Thumbs Up

A reading of just under 12v - first thing this morning - would indicate a very low state of charge (less than 50%):

Click image to enlarge

As the weather gets colder, it's only going to get worse. Your alternator seemed to be providing a healthy charge so I think a new battery should solve your problems. Thumbs Up

I do still wonder, though, if your brake light switch is suspect:

Famousfive wrote:

PCM-Engine SDV6
• P0571-68 (68 ) Brake switch A circuit - Algorithm based failure - event information
• P0504-62 (28 ) Brake switch A/B correlation - Algorithm based failure - signal compare failure

Perhaps somebody more knowledgable than me could comment on those fault codes?

Hope a new battery sorts it out, Nick. Thumbs Up

Steve

Post #133767710th Sep 2014 10:39 am
Famousfive

Went down to see a nice man called Steve at Advanced Factors Whistle today and picked up a AGM Battery that I'll drop in with some re-coding assistance from Parallax33.
Fingers crossed this'll do the trick:
Click image to enlarge
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #133804410th Sep 2014 7:48 pm
Famousfive

Nanocom updates

Together with the help of Parallax33 today, fitted new battery checked and updated nanocom.

We couldn't see anything to change re BCM reset and battery as all looked to be set correctly as per this thread http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic106256.ht...attery+CCF

So fingers crossed that is everything sorted...but one last question.

Doing a side by side comparison on the nanocom tool between current and as-built we noticed that the electronic parking brake EPB (Manual Gearbox) was set to be ON when as built was OFF. As I have an autobox we set to OFF and surprise surprise it doesn't automatically come on as it used to when in Park and engine switched off (pretty obvious now).

Without trying to embarrass myself further I guess this needs to be set to ON or is there another setting I've missed?

thanks
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #134094615th Sep 2014 4:56 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

I can't answer your EPB question but did you check to see if any of the other faults we found last week made a reappearance?

Hope the new battery solves the problems. Thumbs Up

Still curious about the brake light switch codes... Whistle

Steve

Post #134095415th Sep 2014 5:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >