Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

Clarkson on the D5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 
Clarkson on the D5

Love him or loath him, his article on the D5 in the Times makes amusing reading.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeremy-...-zqsf2blbm

Post #188845210th Dec 2017 9:40 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

You're going to have to copy and paste the text, it's subscription only. Rolling Eyes
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #188846510th Dec 2017 10:14 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Quote:
I have always hated the Land Rover Discovery. The first model was cobbled together out of some steel girders and bits and bobs from the dying embers of Austin Rover. It had a shorter wheelbase than today’s Mini, looked stupid and was bought mainly by murderers.

They liked it because underneath the unreliable and ugly outer shell it had a Land Rover four-wheel-drive system, which meant it could be used to carry the bodies of those they’d killed far into the woods, where they’d never be found.

Eventually Land Rover decided that it looked too like an elephant on a unicycle to cut much mustard, and in 2004 it came up with a boxy’n’big seven-seater that for some reason had two chassis. I listened patiently to an engineer explaining why Land Rover had done this, but none of it made any sense, because the car weighed about 2½ tons. It didn’t drive over obstacles so much as flatten them.

However, unlike the first incarnation, it was aimed fairly and squarely at the family woman, so while it may have had all the off-road gubbins you’d need to get a severed head up Ben Nevis, the marketing and the packaging stated that this heavyweight was intended to be a school-run car.

It wasn’t any good at that sort of thing, though, because back then Land Rover’s engineers wore camouflage trousers and liked mud. Most, I suspect, didn’t know what children were. Which is presumably why you had to use two hands to lower the middle row of seats. And that was impossible if you were carrying a toddler. “What’s a toddler?” said someone from Land Rover at the time. “Is it a kind of machinegun?”

There were other issues too, such as if you raised the rear row of seats there was no boot at all. Which meant your dog had to be wafer thin and your children’s heads were only a few inches from the back window. I never thought that was ideal, so when the time came for me to get a seven-seat family wagon, I bought the Volvo XC90, and today I’m on my third.

All of this, however, is ancient history, because there’s now a new Discovery and the first thing you need to know is: it looks ridiculous. It’s fine from the front, and if you squint, it looks quite good from the side too, but what were they thinking of at the back? The old model had an offset numberplate because the spare wheel was mounted on the outside of the tailgate. But the new model’s spare is not. So why stick with the off-centre plate?

The other issue is the sheer size of the damn thing. This is one of those cars in which you spend most of your time in suburbia, sitting at one end of a side road waiting for nothing to be coming the other way because it’s just too wide to squeeze by. You’d make faster progress on a cow.

That said, the new Volvo XC90 is also far too big, but at least its size translates to plenty of space on the inside. That’s emphatically not the case with the Disco. I was driven to a party in the back of it, and not since the old Ford Galaxy have I been so uncomfortable in the rear of a car. The seat was too hard, the legroom was tight and the backrest adjustment offered a simple choice: bolt upright, or very nearly bolt upright. This is easyJet economy seating.

To make matters worse, the front-seat headrests look like ET’s head after he’s been stung by a wasp. This is because, in my test car, each of them housed a television, but, hang on a minute, has no one told Land Rover these days TVs don’t have to have tubes at the back? They can be thin.

Further back things get quite interesting because when you open the tailgate, you’re presented with a wall of buttons such as you would find in the wi-fi router room on the Starship Enterprise. This means that the seats can be raised and lowered individually, using electricity, and that’s brilliant.

However, before you can do any of this, you must put your toddler in the gutter, climb inside and remove the bar in which the boot’s roller blind is stored. Oh, and you must also be careful not to push the button that makes the back of the car rear up into the sky.

Still, when you’ve removed the internal bar, parachuted back to earth and retrieved your child from the gutter, you do have a seven-seat car. And still, despite the external dimensions, a pathetically small boot. The only advantage to this is that children can say to their teachers: “I haven’t brought my homework in. There wasn’t space in the car.”

As a practical everyday proposition, then, the Disco is soundly beaten once more by the big Volvo. And the Range Rover Sport, which is also available with seven seats.

Post #188846710th Dec 2017 10:17 am
jimbg

United Kingdom 

Are we showing our bias? Rolling with laughter

The next sentence in the article

"So what's it like as an actual car? Well, it's pretty good."

Post #188849410th Dec 2017 11:07 am
J77

Scotland 

Just another one of his ramblings, which I do like, not a proper review, but he was always going to prefer the XC90, he always has.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #188850910th Dec 2017 11:38 am
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

The guys a nkob. He waxed lyrical about the D3 when he drove it up that Scottish mountain. Like most journalists, they write what they are told/paid to write.

Post #188851810th Dec 2017 12:04 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

we all know that when Clarkson talks about a car, the real protagonist is not the car, it's really Jeremy.
...although he's always funny and witty!!! Laughing Laughing
 lost in translation!  
Post #188852010th Dec 2017 12:19 pm
jimbg

United Kingdom 

Tanglewood wrote:
The guys a nkob. He waxed lyrical about the D3 when he drove it up that Scottish mountain. Like most journalists, they write what they are told/paid to write.

I think that was the time he left them on the mountain as he departed in a helicopter with the car keys! Laughing

Post #188854210th Dec 2017 1:41 pm
Tanglewood

United Kingdom 

Sounds about right Rolling Eyes

Post #188854410th Dec 2017 1:46 pm
professorpool

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Biggest cock wobble on tv
 D3 07 SE - still going strong
D3 07 HSE - gone to car heaven
FL1 - gone to Romania
D3 05 HSE - gone to a divorce diet
D1 V8 manual - gone but not forgotten
RR Classic - gone to car heaven

Jeeps, Lexus, X-trails... Too many to name.. 

Post #188866910th Dec 2017 6:49 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

He writes primarily to entertain, rather than inform. The design of the ‘5 May make it a really easy target for some cruel jibes, but I’d never expect him to be accurate or consistent in his reporting on any of the generations; not unless he’s done so by accident anyway.

He did succeed in being entertaining this time though Thumbs Up
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #188868010th Dec 2017 7:36 pm
ds23man

Netherlands 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If he had a vasectomy, he would not drive a XC90....... Mr. Green Mr. Green

Post #188868310th Dec 2017 7:40 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Red Merle wrote:

He did succeed in being entertaining this time though Thumbs Up

Indeed so, the description of the D3 as a family woman's car was very entertaining. Lots of yummy types drive/drove them after all... Wink

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

The guy is not to be taken seriously and has been quite open that the stuff he writes is often not what he thinks. He has an audience and he gives them what they want. Entirely reasonable and has made him very comfortable in the process. Thumbs Up
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #188869110th Dec 2017 7:55 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I thought its was an accurate piece of journalism. He nailed it with his description of the second row seats. Laughing
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #188869310th Dec 2017 7:59 pm
professorpool

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This is why I have a Lexus suv on order
 D3 07 SE - still going strong
D3 07 HSE - gone to car heaven
FL1 - gone to Romania
D3 05 HSE - gone to a divorce diet
D1 V8 manual - gone but not forgotten
RR Classic - gone to car heaven

Jeeps, Lexus, X-trails... Too many to name.. 

Post #188875410th Dec 2017 10:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >