Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Clunk noise when reversing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ecosse

Clunk noise when reversing

Since repairs to the front suspension bushes etc to remove a "thump" noise on even small pot holes Very Happy , I now find that when starting up, reversing on right lock after about 1 revolution of the wheel there is a "clunk" noise from the front left (where repairs done) Shocked - does not repeat itself if reverse further and is there whether in normal or raised suspension. It's as if something is being pushed in one dircetion when forward motion but then when reversing is being moved in the opposite direction? Any thoughts or experiences of similar?

Post #29866614th May 2008 1:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is doing this both sides! I took a wheel off the other day and could find no play or movement in anything except the brake pads. My conclusion is its the brake pads moving in the caliper. So long as the spring clips are still in place, or not broken I can't see it been a problem.

Mine also emits a loudish click when I apply the brakes going forwards after reversing. I only hear it with the windows down. Same thing I reckon, pads moving a bit.

Post #29876714th May 2008 6:20 pm
Ecosse

Gareth - thanks, hopefully it's something that "simple" Wink Like you I have just taken a wheel off & can find nothing obvious - other than some strange welding around the bolts to the bushes holding the lower arms (apparently the garage hand sawed the old bolts off to replace the bushes Shocked ) - but it makes the noise once after the wheel goes through one revolution in reverse - and the noise was so loud that it was heard inside the house over the noise of the engine!

Post #29885414th May 2008 9:14 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Have you greased the lock stops?
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic93.html

Post #29894414th May 2008 10:45 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This is a well know problem according to the brake manufacture. There is a stainless steel clip which fit onto the cast caliper bracket. The clearence between this and the pads has to be such that the corrosion on the pad ends (which will happen) does not jam the pad in the clip with time.

This means that new or cleaned pads has enough clearance with the tolerance stack up to knock when going from forwards to backwards, of even in normal forward motion.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #29895314th May 2008 10:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ecosse

Bit more inverstigation and it was then noticed that when the clunk noise occured the whole left front wheel was actually moving/jumping a few centimeters forward! Took it to the garage, pointed out the strange welding to the bolt holding the lower arms from when they had replaced the bushes, was told that was normal to hold it in place Shocked , then on advising that the wheel had been seen to jump with the clunk noise, the foreman suddenly did not need to hear any more of the description, rushed the car into the workshop and 1/2 hour later I was advised that they had had to torque up the bolt through the bush/lower arm Evil or Very Mad Clearly the wheel had been moving that amount & one does wonder whether it should have been able to "untorque" itself in a few weeks??
Was then told that they wanted to do a free of charge 4 wheel alignment check as well (never known this garage to offer anything for free so I wonder why they want to do this which apparently takes about 4 hours Rolling Eyes ) - on questioning whether that meant the (new) tyres had been getting scrubbed by an out of alignment wheel I was told that they hadn't been on long enough! Am not using the car meantime pending the alignment being checked as it strikes me that with that amount of movement the alignment of the wheel will have been out considerably and just tightening the bolt up will do nothing for the alignment!

Post #30307526th May 2008 1:58 pm
POINTYED

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
clunk

hi
i always get a clunk noise when i put the car in reverse
i think its the wife's head hitting the dash Rolling with laughter
dunc
 life is tooooo short.enjoy the moment.dont worry be happy

club BSS 

Post #30389028th May 2008 8:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >