DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Commercial/panel van explanation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Yargo

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
Commercial/panel van explanation

Gents,

My mate (never sat in Disco, owns BMW x5 2010) visited me this week and we drove around for two days in my Disco 3. He has fallen in love and his mind is now taken over by disco, "I want one as well, NOW!!!!, can you find me one?".

Because he owns construction business in London, he needs one for company, with VAT. Can somebody please advise regarding commercial/panel van. On some adverts it says commercial, but looks same as "normal" ones? Same goes for "panel van" Rolling Eyes I was under impression commercial would have wall between front seats and rear compartment? Panel van should have no glass rear windows Question

What I need to look for ?

He wants white D4 SDV6 with 8 speed gearbox, HSE.

Thank you

Post #22457138th Aug 2021 10:52 am
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

All UK D3 / D4 commercials were sold with 2 seats and with bulkhead fitted. There some had professional rear seat conversions with bench seats which are meant to be ok with HMRC, I haven't put this to the test as my D4 commercial still only has 2 seats. Some people retrofit standard rear seats which I believe is a bit of a no no with HMRC and possibly insurance as well. Thumbs Up
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #22457208th Aug 2021 11:31 am
GLYNNE

England 

My D4 and D5 have both been converted and declared through the insurance with no issues what so ever.

Post #22457358th Aug 2021 1:40 pm
Biggles330d

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Mine - a 2015 / 8spd - is as far as I know as it left the Landrover Special Vehicles as a commercial. Two seats up front, dog guard / bulkhead thing behind, flat fitted floor all the way through, disabled rear electric windows that have a plastic banking sheet over the glass on the inside.

Mine was clearly the bosses car when spec'd (an SE I think but no model designation on it anywhere), its fairly well loaded with options, in Santorini Black with 20' HSE wheels and when I got it in 2019 at 80k miles, was immaculate in the back.

A brilliant bit of kit that I use as a long distance hack really. Really comfortable and at 32ish mpg average over 15k miles with me so far, not that woeful on fuel. I've no particular reason to reinstate the rear seats, although the blanked off rear windows can be a bit of a pain for visibility, but it is a van at the end of the day.

Post #224599510th Aug 2021 5:35 pm
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yes commercials have 2 (pretty average) front seats as standard. Plastic window blanks, the rear windows are disconnected as are the rear speakers unless the premium Meridian audio is spec’ ed, and a bulkhead.
The tax is 265 as it’s a commercial compared to the 500 plus of a non commercial even though outputs are identical.

They are all XS spec as standard. You could order a SE commercial but never HSE on the disco 4…….you can have HSE on the uglier 5 though.

I have added literally everything possible to my commercial and it now has a better spec than the Landmark or the HSE I test drove a while back. Adding HSE front seats, heated wheel, heated 22 way seats, cameras, CarPlay, remote heat, 20” wheels etc etc is all pretty simple with an IID tool.

They are a real loop hole and a fantastic vehicle. We have an electric Jag ipace as the wife’s daily but any long journeys are done in the Disco as it’s just awesome on a long cruise. I will never go back to ‘a proper’ commercial/van. Love it.
 A mod a week until I have nothing to improve or add.  
Post #224603611th Aug 2021 5:46 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Biggles330d wrote:
although the blanked off rear windows can be a bit of a pain for visibility, but it is a van at the end of the day.

The blanks come out with a bit of persuasion and then re-instate a couple of trim pieces ... jobs a good 'un.

My rear windows also work. I cannot remember how the factory knobble the electric windows but the motors and wiring is there (D4). You just need the right electrical connector to get them both working. Mine was re-instated by a very nice LR Stealer.

I have had this D4 Commercial since 2013 (brand new) and refuse to part with it.

It has earnt back every penny ever spent on it (in my own imagination) Rolling with laughter

Thumbs Up

"Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #224603711th Aug 2021 5:58 am
s60r

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Great looking in that colour!

how many miles have you done since 2013? Any issues with it across that time?

Mine is 2014 had it 6 months.... it does everything you ask of it brilliantly. 84k miles and cam belts due soon though....feels brand new.
 A mod a week until I have nothing to improve or add.  
Post #224612311th Aug 2021 5:35 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Hello.

110k miles, no major repairs.

Usual bills at the major dates: belts, gearbox flush, just had arms, bushes and the likes renewed (£2k bill). But all planned for.

Wouldn’t part with it for anything Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #224613011th Aug 2021 6:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >