Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Companion camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Companion camera

Been toying around with the idea of getting a reversing camera (trailer may be on Christmas list!!!), but am a little confused:

In the manual there is mention of "companion" cameras, a number of which can be "synched" to the car and comes in a re-chargeable cradle and suction cup. I understand this is a RR toy from my local dealer (showed me the charging base in one), but could it be retrofitted on a D3? Is the caD3 ready for it, simply requiring "enabling" from the IDS/Faultmate/whatever?

Was there or is there an "official" LR reversing camera solution for the D3? Again, can this be retrofitted? Does it come on automatically when reverse is selected?

I have read some posts of people retrofitting aftermarket cams and linking to the OEM screen; one way to view is through the inputs test in the diagnostic, can you enable the input from IDS/Faultmate/whatever to come as a fourth icon in the home screen?

Any help or clarification would be much appreciated! Thumbs Up

Cheers.

Post #50832617th Aug 2009 11:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Dont know about other systems , but the faultmate can enable the screen side no problem.

Thats as far as i got with it as i need the docking station . This connects up via a couple of can bus wires and a coax to the screen . Unfortuantly they are about £150 ..and i have not been able to locate a cheap second hand one to finish off and test it all

Here are some pics taken from my screen

G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #50840917th Aug 2009 3:34 pm
discoBizz

Thanks Wiggs Thumbs Up

Bit confused though, is it the docking station/charger that has the transmitter to control the cameras? Is that what then transmits to the screen with over the CAN bus?

Do I understand correctly you are actually trying to test this on the D3 and are only missing the docking station? If so, how much was the cam itself???

Do you also happen to know if there was an "official" D3 reversing camera ever released?

Thanks again! Thumbs Up

Post #50842817th Aug 2009 4:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

From what i have found /read ...wireless camera between the docking station and camera . Docking station is controlled over can bus by the screen ...picture is sent from the docking station via a coax cable .

Camera was only about £30 on ebay ..have seen them go for as little as £15 ..

Yes im just waiting on a docking station comming up cheap ..then connect a couple of can bus wires and power and should be good to go .

Never seen a proper reversing camera for the d3 ..they do one for the RR .
Post #50843517th Aug 2009 4:17 pm
discoBizz

Thanks wiggs!

Will do some research, there are a couple of mashed RRs in a breaker close by, maybe I'll be lucky... Whistle

I'll get two if I get VERY lucky...

Post #50870318th Aug 2009 8:56 am
wiggs

Thumbs Up
Post #50872618th Aug 2009 10:14 am
mbu

Netherlands 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Do you have a partnumber for the RR interface?

Post #51364631st Aug 2009 6:37 pm
wiggs

If you mean the docking station ( fits in the upper glovebox ) there are a few ( depending on vin number )

XVL500031PVA
XVL500050PVA
XVL500071PVA
Post #5140281st Sep 2009 4:01 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

Drove a New Toyota with the reversing cam, I thought it would be useless, wrong, its a really top feature even super imposes your anticipated lines of reversing onto the screen.

quite a nice drive all round.............. Whistle

Post #5140761st Sep 2009 5:17 pm
discoBizz

Had a look at both RRs at the breakers today. Both had just empty apertures for coins/small things where the dock goes Sad (didn't look like they were ever there)

So back to square one, or the cost of new parts...

Wiggs would you know which is which re: the dock part numbers? I guess they are related to RR VIN numbers? Is it a proper fit in the D3 upper glovebox?

Assuming one had the dock, is it just a case of feeding it with power and a coax to one of the empty inputs on the back of the screen? (and enabling the feature on in IDS/Faultmate?)

Does anyone know if on the RR/D3 there are features such as the anticipated lines?

Thanks.

Post #5141251st Sep 2009 7:09 pm
wiggs

Just got a list of part numbers for the different vins

Not a proper fit in the d3 ..well not till i have one to try .

Also need to connect into 2 can bus wires

Old venture cam dock ...if i have read correctly ..fits in the "B" pillar on the passenger side ..hopefully someone can confirm or deny

New venture cam dock located in top glovebox
Click image to enlarge

I dont think they were a standard fit ..optional extra
Post #5141411st Sep 2009 7:44 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya Biz
Like wiggs, i have (in my case an Ebay purchased for 15 GBP) Companion Cam unit and have enabled all the companion cam settings on my D3, which i am sure you can't do with IDS, however it seems that you also need to connect a dock station which connects to power and ground as well as the CAN BUS over which it is activated when you select it on the screen display as Wiggs pictures show. Normally the companion cam is not a D3 option but as it shares all the same hardware as a RR sport and the L322 bigger brother, it should just work if connected the same. When we get one, physically mounting and connecting it should be childs play relatively speaking. well at least we coud do a how to post.

It's just that the new option is so darned expensive, when you have absolutely no cast iron guarantees it will actually work Big Cry Hence we are asking if anyone can help us find a used one from a scrapper etc. LAter ones were mounted in the upper glove box as Wiggs shows, but 2005 were in the knee height cubby hole as wiggs also shows, dammned that man is so on the ball Rolling with laughter .

If we can prove it out, i am sure that many would be interested in the new option. And as you know, thats the sort of thing me and Wiggs are all about Thumbs Up

Perhaps we should pop over to the FFRR forum and ask someone if they would lend us one to prove it out.

Post #5141661st Sep 2009 8:11 pm
discoBizz

Thanks Colin, Wiggs.

Got my eye on a complete "kit" (camera and suction cup arm and holder) for £50 on fleabay...

Pretty sure I eyed the option on the latest IDS when I was in to enable the extra driving lights... wouldn't bet on it though! Would it be the same setting as for a standard reversing camera? Worse comes to worse Colin, assuming it works, you fly over for an Ouzo with your gadget Smile

Local dealer was happy to look things up for me, the latter model which fits in the glovebox of the RR (actually had one in the shop yesterday), is EUR 316.00 (so probably worth getting it from the UK) for the base and wiring (he is checking up on that). His chief electrician seems to believe it should be an "easy" fit.

Trying to convince a couple of fellow owners to do a kitty for the base and offer my car as a guinea pig Wink to test that it works.

Just to be on the safe side if we proceed, other than the power which should be straight forward, do you have any ideas where to interface the dock? I assume the D3 would not have a spare loom waiting for it...

Getting close to convincing them so if you have any ideas please let me know.

Cheers!

Post #5147453rd Sep 2009 9:00 am
discoBizz

Could someone also confirm said part numbers come with wiring loom?

If not presumably one needs to be fabricated at which point I'd be completely lost! Confused (so any pointers would be appreciated!)

Post #5147663rd Sep 2009 10:11 am
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

So did you win it?
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #5148343rd Sep 2009 1:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >