Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Compressor 'Slow To Rise Messages' etc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Scrat

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Compressor 'Slow To Rise Messages' etc

OK Have done a search on this and have read so much about it it's confused me even more!

Anyway, left the D3 (55 plate MY06) on access mode all night. Jumped in this morning and after starting the engine I immediatly flicked the lever twice - to select off road height. I noticed it wasn't very fast then recieved the 'Vehicle Is Raising Slowly' message.

At that point I got worried and started to lower and raise a number of times until I then got the 'vehicle will rise when compressor has cooled' message. Probably due to me upping and lowering.

Anyway, went for a drive, let it cool down, then went for normal > off road > normal > off road with no errors.

Today I took the compressor cover off, bit of mud but nothing to write home about. I sprayed some soapy water onto the compressor, and I could hear a hiss. Like when you check an inner tube for leaks in soapy water. This was with the engine off - so maybe completly normal??

The D3 has LR extended warranty till March, so normally I'd just wait till something goes bang. However on Thursday I'm off to Croatia and now the SHMBO, the kids and myself are all worried this thing is going to go pop any second!

Now, I don't usually go from access to offroad, especially not after starting the car first thing in the morning. So this may of just been bad luck. I'm especially paranoid at the moment with holiday on Thursday.

Is it worth taking it in, or did I just overload the compressor by going access > offroad on a freshly started car.

SHMBO said if it pops on holiday and spoils the trip, D3 gets sold! Shocked

Post #52574526th Sep 2009 6:53 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Does it lower itself if left overnight?

Post #52574826th Sep 2009 7:01 pm
Scrat

I will go outside now, put it in offroad height, and report back in the morning Arrow Smile

Post #52575026th Sep 2009 7:08 pm
Scrat

Just been out to the car, SHMBO left it parked in access (locked).

I started the engine, I could hear the compressor start to run after a few seconds. At that point I just sat there for about 30 seconds. I then pushed up once. Car went to normal height. Then I wated about 20 seconds and pushed up again, car went into offroad - no problems.

The compressor then ran for just over 2 minutes.

I then turned off and have taken some measurments of how high the vehicle is to compare with in the morning.

Atleast it didn't error this time going access > off road. Maybe I was just abit too keen last time!

So in the morning, should I see some drop? Like if there is a problem it will be down to access, or would even a slight drop indicate an issue?

Why do these proplems always happen as your just about to go away! Big Cry

Post #52575626th Sep 2009 7:25 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Couple of thoughts.

If you were constantly lowering and raising the car the compressor will run out of puff - hence the "...till it cools" message.

I was at the garage on Friday for a quick diagnostic check as I also got the "raising slowly" message on Friday morning. No DTC errors, other than a couple of "lost communication" logs (I'd also been swapping the wheels over to the off-road set which does cause the suspension to do funny things sometimes...). So in the morning I was possibly a bit too quick when starting the car and didn't let it fully do it's pre-start check.

Been out in it today in access mode, normal mode, off road mode and extended/super extended and not one little peep of a problem. In fact its been up and down like a yo-yo.

So, before you panic too much make sure the car is fully awake before you raise the suspension. Just one more thing to check off the list of possible causes.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #52576926th Sep 2009 7:51 pm
Scrat

Thanks JF Lux I hope so Thumbs Up

Very Happy

Post #52579426th Sep 2009 9:11 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Compressor 'Slow To Rise Messages' etc

Scrat wrote:
I sprayed some soapy water onto the compressor, and I could hear a hiss. Like when you check an inner tube for leaks in soapy water.
You may have a minor leak in one of the lines from the reservoir, meaning the pump may have to run a little longer after a long stop. However, the remainder of your findings seem to be completely normal; if you do too much upping downing, you get 'raising slowly' from a depleted air reservoir, and eventually 'until it cools' from the compressor as it tries to make up the pressure and overheats.

There's probably not another member on here that wouldn't experience exactly the same symptoms* as you describe following what you did - enjoy your holiday Thumbs Up

(* except the coilers Wink )
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #52581626th Sep 2009 9:48 pm
Scrat

Thank you all for the replies, has put my mind at rest!

So I left the car in off road height all night. Measured again this morning, and it hasn't moved, so that's a good sign Thumbs Up

Post #52590227th Sep 2009 8:26 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Yes, don't worry about. Have a good trip. Thumbs Up

Post #52590427th Sep 2009 8:34 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Just a thought but check your battery condition...the electrical load management can in certain circumstances at start up reduce the allocation of available power or even inhibit power altogether on a priority scale to various components ...one of which is the suspension system.

Quote:
Electrical Load Management

The ATCM manages the vehicle electrical loads to:

Maintain the vehicle battery in a healthy state of charge.
Ensure adequate power is available for defrost demisting during engine warm-up.
Ensure adequate power is available for A/C during extended periods with the engine at idle speed.
To maintain system voltage within acceptable limits.
To provide adequate power to meet customer expectations.
Electrical load management is achieved by increasing the engine idle speed and controlling the electrical load of systems that do not affect the driveability or safety of the vehicle.

During the engine warm-up period, the ATCM manages the electrical load to make sure that the battery voltage is maintained above a pre-determined level. The battery voltage level that is maintained and the duration of the start period varies with ambient air temperature and engine coolant temperature. After the engine warm-up period, the ATCM manages the electrical load to make sure that the requested electrical load does not exceed the generator output.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #52592727th Sep 2009 9:58 am
Scrat

Thanks DG, will do Thumbs Up

Post #52601027th Sep 2009 6:32 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Compressor 'Slow To Rise Messages' etc

stapldm wrote:
Scrat wrote:
I sprayed some soapy water onto the compressor, and I could hear a hiss. Like when you check an inner tube for leaks in soapy water.
You may have a minor leak in one of the lines from the reservoir, meaning the pump may have to run a little longer after a long stop. However, the remainder of your findings seem to be completely normal; if you do too much upping downing, you get 'raising slowly' from a depleted air reservoir, and eventually 'until it cools' from the compressor as it tries to make up the pressure and overheats.

There's probably not another member on here that wouldn't experience exactly the same symptoms* as you describe following what you did - enjoy your holiday Thumbs Up

(* except the coilers Wink )
maybe the noise was cold water hitting a hot compressor? all sounds normal, don't worry until you get an amber warning light Wink  
Post #52607127th Sep 2009 8:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >