Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Compressor/suspension troubles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Compressor/suspension troubles

I’ve been posting on here recently that my beloved 55 plate D3 HSE with 230K miles on her is going to go because I’m coming into some cash and will be upgrading to the newest D4 I can find.

Well I think the old girl must browse the forum at night on the drive because she’s decided to punish me, and she’s doing it 3 days after I found out I’m going to have to wait two more months for the money I’m coming into!

Please remember when reading this that I’ve only been offered £800 for her by a dealer, and I’ll only have her another couple of months, at which point she’s almost being given away.

Twice over the last month I’ve had the yellow Air suspension warning light pop up and the car dropped down into access mode. Both times turning the ignition off and on again sorted it out.

It did it today on the way to work but didn’t drop down.
At lunchtime I thought I’d have a quick look, so used my Nanocom to clear the fault codes then started it up again and cycled the suspension up into off road then down into access height.
As it went up again to standard the light came back on, but it carried on going right up into off road height again.

Then as I dropped it back to standard height it carried on going down to access and is now stuck there.

Interesting point 1 is that even whilst the light was on all 4 corners were showing as moving on the 4x4 info screen, which I’m assuming means a good signal is being given by all 4 height sensors.

I read the codes and got:
C1A27 – Compressor Circuit
U0421 – Invalid data received from ride height control module.

If I try to change the ride height I get a message saying normal height only and suspension fault.

Turning the ignition on and off didn’t have any effect, so I had an uncomfortable 8 mile journey home.

Interesting point 2 is that although in access mode the 4x4 info screen shows ‘standard’.
But, only at a standstill, whilst the car is moving and bouncing about the screen alternates between ‘standard’ and ‘raising’, suggesting a wiring fault that is being affected by the movement.

Once home I checked the fuses, which looked OK, them swapped the relay out for a new spare, which didn’t make a difference.
I took the nearside front wheel off, pulled out the wheelarch liner and inspected the three connectors, which all looked good, were clean and dry inside, and I couldn’t see any broken wires.
I also visually inspected all 4 height sensors, and again couldn’t see a problem.

At this point I noticed that when starting the engine the compressor wasn’t running, no surprise really considering the fault code and lack of height adjustment, so I swapped it out for a spare that I believe to be good, again nothing.
Checking the fuses again I noticed the 60A suspension fuse had blown. I don’t have a spare 60A, so took a chance and swapped in the rear diff 40A one, and although the 40A fuse didn’t blow, the compressor still didn’t run.

So, any suggestions?

Obviously under the circumstances I don’t want to throw more money than the car is worth at it trying to fix it.

I’d like to bench test the compressor, is it as easy as giving it 12V into the big connector?
Or do some of the other smaller cables in the other connector activate a relay or something inside the body?

Thanks

Nasher
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #206858415th Jul 2019 10:24 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

A simple test for the compressor to run is to remove the relay and jumper the two large relay sockets, with the ignition on you should hear the compressor, if not the main power is not getting to the compressor. Check that there is power at the relay connections with a multi meter and at the male connectors where the fuse plugs in as it may be dodgy. The fuse should now be 70 amp as it was updated.

Post #206860916th Jul 2019 4:37 am
Nasher

Thanks Globetrotter448.

I wasn’t sure without looking if the main power supply was switched again down at the compressor by the various other wires going to it.

Unfortunately I’m now at work until this evening, and in reality won’t be at home much until Monday to spend any time on it, but I should be able to test the power at the relay.

Talking to Mrs Nasher about it she’s ‘strongly suggested’ we obviously shouldn’t be spending much money on it, but I need a car for the next two months.
I’m also completely broke having ploughed everything I had into renovating my late mothers house which we’re selling.

If anyone wants to make me an offer for it as it is, the only other issue is an airbag light which requires the steering wheel rotary coupler replacing, I’d happily sell it and use the money to buy a banger to run around in for a couple of months.

Nasher.
Post #206863316th Jul 2019 8:17 am
Nasher

I had more time to spend on this during this evening than I thought I would.

I managed to run the compressor by shorting the relay contacts in the engine bay fuse box, although it was struggling.
So I pulled it out of the car and stripped out the dryer, cleaning out the dust, replacing the felt pads with some I had previously brought, and dried the silica beads out in the microwave.

It now runs much better, but cuts out about 10-20 seconds after the engine is started as the suspension light comes on.

The car really is down on it's bump stops now, the 4x4 info screen is showing that all 4 corners are at access height, but the top of the screen states 'Standard'.
I'd say the height sensors are OK as they appear to show the correct position, but the whole system seems confused.

In the 10-20 seconds I can get the car to start rising up, the screen shows the rear corners moving up out of access height, but the top of the screen changes to 'Off Road' and even 'extended mode'.
So again it's as if the two pieces of data are out of sync.

I'm wondering if I can attempt anything with my Nanocom, I've never used it on the height sensors, but I think you have to start the process at the standard height, something I just can't get to.

As mentioned it always appears to be the rear end I can get to raise, but not the front, so I swapped the front valve block out for a spare, but it's not made any difference.

I'd really appreciate any contributions to this please.

And again, I'm really considering getting shot of it now in the state it's in.

Nasher.
Post #206883116th Jul 2019 10:42 pm
rover76

Denmark 

Give it a hard reset - won't hurt & cheap & Fast
 MY07 RRS SC  
Post #206883716th Jul 2019 11:02 pm
Nasher

Yep I suppose a hard reset at this stage wouldn’t hurt, but I did neglect to mention I tried it before doing anything else the other day.

Been thinking about this a lot, obviously.
I have a full set of 4 brand new height sensors in the garage that I picked up a few years ago, which, after another hard reset, are the obvious next step despite the 4x4 info screen appearing to have the correct data to display in the centre. But I’m not convinced I’ll be able to set them up properly with no air in the suspension at the moment.

Bearing in mind I can’t get any air in the suspension to lift it I believe that when I plug in the new height sensors they will just give me a load of error messages and need calibrating etc.
Does anyone have a link to a thread explaining how to do this with a Nanocom, or any suggestions where to start.

I do have an IID BT, but I’m saving that to register with my D4 when I get it.

Thanks

Nasher.
Post #206887717th Jul 2019 9:25 am
Nasher

Ah well, another hard reset was worth a go I suppose, but still no luck.

The Suspension light pops up soon after starting the car and the compressor stops.
Still getting the same fault codes.

The 4x4 info screen still shows all f corners in the access position, but the wording at the top says STANDARD.

Had a look at the Height Calibration on the Nanocom and without any help or reading up on it I don't know where to start, especially as it's on it's bump stops.
Although the live data from each corner do all show between -75 and -60mm, and all of them change by a few mm as you'd expect when rocking the car, which sort of verifies the height sensors are good.
Does anyone know the meaning of M1, M2 and M3 on the front screen of the calibration?
Mine all show M1 1,1,1,1, M2 1,12,1,1 and M3 1,1,13,1 which I cant make head mnor tail of.

HELLLLLP.
Post #206903517th Jul 2019 7:56 pm
Lutonmike

England 2015 Discovery 4 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi
I had the same problem with only nominal height only, tried every thing then this

Got a idtool and emptied the whole system took the height back to o
Then re did the height to 18 3/4 each side now yellow Bon gone and no lights.

Now to see how to change the near side turbo Big Cry

Post #206905917th Jul 2019 8:47 pm
Bodstruck

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

It's only £25 to reregister your IID when you get the D4 so I would get it working on your D3 now and make use of it to help sort this problem.
My suspension was all over the place and it turned out to be a faulty height sensor. With your compressor issues it sounds like it may be a different problem but the live values from IiD will help if it is running and then conks out.
Gotta be worth £25 extra, even if only to save time.

Post #206916418th Jul 2019 9:37 am
mark george

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Nasher, did you ever get to the bottom of your problem? I have a similar issue with the front end stuck on bump stops, compressor rebuild, front valve block rebuild, but 4x4 screen showing as yours did, wheels all where they actually are but message at top showing standard or off road?? Big Cry

Post #20804963rd Sep 2019 3:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >