DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Connecting a Parrot Bluetooth MKi9200 to a Land rover D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mallo

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Connecting a Parrot Bluetooth MKi9200 to a Land rover D3

Hi all
I have been looking (as per other posts) into fitting a Bluetooth in my LR, I originally thought of the aftermarket unit but have since learnt that this is very limited, I was then thinking of a Parrot system, I am currently looking into this, I would also like to play my I-Pod, so I was looking at the Parrot MKi9200.

I am looking to connect it into the aux feed? On the Harman Kardon stereo (is this correct?) however I don’t seem to have the aux jack under the radio/ashtray area (is this the correct place for it?). Sad

If I don’t have the jack how else can I connect it, can it be fed into the wiring loom to arrive on the aux there must be a feed in somewhere?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer…….

Post #42854725th Feb 2009 11:00 am
methley
a.k.a. Big Hairy Ski Monster 

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Mallo,

I think we were just discussing this on the Parrot forum, yes?

Anyway, the best and easiest place to conenct in the aux input for the Parrot kit is at the back of the stereo unit. Rather than explain how here, have a search on the forum as there's lots of posts describing how, e.g. http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic17945.h...connection

You will also need telemute leads 06-124B and 06-426B, but discard the part of 06-124B with the big box attached. You don't need it on your Hi-Line stereo.

The 06-426B presents a stereo line output from the Parrot, which is what you will need to connect to the aux in of your stereo.

On the Parrot kit, select "no mute on streaming" to prevent the stereo switching to phone mode when you're listening to music.

I also had to fit a line level amp to get audio levels up to a reaonsable volume, comparable with the radio.

Cheers,

Andy

P.S. Make sure you update your kit to the latest firmware - V1.10 at the moment.
 Andy

Fridge Slide for sale https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post2064622.html#2064622 

Post #42855325th Feb 2009 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mallo

Hi Methley
Yes we were just discussing it on the parrot forum, sorry for putting you through it twice…..
I will look into it and come back to you if I have any questions….
The typical thing the amp costs £20 and they want £30 to deliver it Big Cry ….. the joys of living in the Channel Islands Evil or Very Mad !!!!
Thanks again for your help
Best wishes,

Post #42860425th Feb 2009 12:59 pm
methley

Before you buy the amp, try the parrot without it. Not everyone seems to have the low aux volume problem.
 Andy

Post #42862225th Feb 2009 1:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mallo

Hi Methley
Thanks for that, unfortunately I have already ordered the amp, the only part I have ordered so far!!!!!
I will order the rest shortly.
How much connecting up is there? Or is it more or less just a plug in job?
It’s a bit difficult to visualize what to do without the leads, I will order them and the unit and see how I get on…….
Thanks again for all your help.
Best wishes,

Post #42870625th Feb 2009 5:06 pm
methley

Nothing "plugs in" in the strictest sense. You even have to insert pins into the existing multiplug for the hands-free audio. In summary...

1, Hands-free audio and mute - extra pins in exisiting mulitplug - relatively easy
2, Power and switched live - splice into suitable feeds behind the dash - easy once you know where to look
3, AUX connection - splice in to aux inputs on multiplug behind the radio - again, once you know the correct wires not too bad
4, Tuck everything in behind the dash - requires patience!

You will need some extra cable and splice connectors (or soldering iron if you prefer to do it that way) for the various connections.

Andy
 Andy

Post #42871025th Feb 2009 5:13 pm
mallo

Hi Methley
Thanks for that, I have just spoken to the supplier to order the cables and he has told me it wont work Big Cry !!!???!!!.
Can I please clarify a couple of things:-
You are using it on a Harman Kardon system,
And have the sound coming out of all the speakers.
I have cancelled the order for the minute and said I would get back to him.
Sorry for being a pest, I seem to be getting so many mixed reports….
Best wishes,

Post #42872825th Feb 2009 5:29 pm
methley

You are using it on a Harman Kardon system - YES
And have the sound coming out of all the speakers - YES - see below
- Handsfree audio is through the front speakers
- Music is through all speakers. You have to select AUX on the radio

I'm guessing your dealer is referring to music streaming only working through the front speakers and he'll probably talk about the telemute leads being "direct input"? This is partially true but only if you don't connect up the AUX. If you wire up the AUX inputs then the phone input is completely bypassed and the above is irrelevant.

Here's my install, just to prove I'm not making all this up! Very Happy

Andy

Post #42873425th Feb 2009 5:37 pm
mallo

Hi Andy
Sorry please, please don’t get the wrong impression, I am not doubting you at all in fact I am happy that it works because it should work for me.
I will try and order it again tomorrow Smile …….(I won’t take no for an answer this time)
One thing I am not looking forward to is, the splicing the wires in…….
Please don’t get the wrong impression; I am looking forward to the front of the Land Rover looking the same as yours (i.e. parrot fitted!!!!!)
Thanks again for your help
Best wishes
Michael

Post #42875825th Feb 2009 6:24 pm
the kergan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I had a Parrott fitted in mine little while back and everthing runs throught the car speakers so it must be possible.
 I have something to say! It's better to burn out... than to fade away!  
Post #42877625th Feb 2009 6:45 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yep Very possible Thumbs Up

AUX socket is in the rear of the cubby box facing rear passengers, or under the kick panel passenger side front there is the terminal block for AUX connection to the ipod kit that goes into the top glovebox.

Contact Wiggs by PM as he has photographic knowledge on the Kick panel AUX access Thumbs Up

Post #42884425th Feb 2009 9:00 pm
mallo

Hi Andy and all
I have ordered all the parts (but wont be fitting it for a while), I also took the front surround and radio out last night (well enough to see the back of it anyhow), I found the fibre optics to the Amp? And next to that another plug this had a load of cables going into it, I assume the cable with the red, blue, black is the one for the Aux input? Red being the Left +, the Blue being the Right +, and the black being the negative, both from the parrot joined together.
A couple of questions, where do you connect the Hands-free audio and mute is that on the same plug on the radio, and which pins are they? Do you need the pins and where can I get them from? Also the feeds (permanent and switched) where can these be taken from?
Sorry for all the questions and I hope I am on the right lines re the aux input.
I did find an aux socket on the back of the centre rest.
Thanks again everyone for your support and help.
Best wishes
Michael

Post #42930526th Feb 2009 2:35 pm
methley

Hi Michael,

Yes, red, blue and black are the aux audio inputs. Note to get the audio input to work, you need to place a blank jack in the socket in the centre console, or simply disconnect the plug on the back of the socket on the centre console. Reason being is that the jack socket grounds the audio inputs when nothing is connected.

You will get an instruction sheet with the lead, which comes already attached to the necessary pins. I found a copy online here http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Installation_Advice/PDF_Files/06-124B.pdf

Switched live can be sourced from one of the 12v accessory connectors below the heater controls. A permanent live is available on one of the connectors behind the heater controls. I found it by searching on here. I'm sure someone will enlighten us.

What reaction did you get from the dealer when you insisted this solution works?

Andy
 Andy

Post #42931326th Feb 2009 2:50 pm
mallo

Hi Andy,
Thanks for that, I haven’t seen anywhere about needing a security code, do I need this or where can I get it from?
I also believe somewhere on the site it mentions about the aux socket, can I just connect the two grounds together to make it connect all the time? Or will just disconnecting it make it connect?

The dealer didn’t say too much when I went to re-order, perhaps he thought I was a bit nuts…. And he knew better…… anyhow I have all the bits arriving soon, I have to collect the cables from a friend in the UK as they wanted so much to deliver them here, I am not going over to see him for 3 weeks so I won’t be doing to much till then.

Sorry for all the questions again and thanks again for you help

Best wishes,
Michael

Post #42935826th Feb 2009 3:45 pm
mallo

12V feeds

Hi all
Thanks for your advice and help above, I have finally received the cabling and units necessary for fitting and have connected the phone audio and the AUX audio in, please can some one advise on where I can get the permanent and switched supplies from, I tried last night to get the sockets out from under the heater controls out without much luck, I am not sure where I am going wrong, help.
Best wishes to all

Post #44382825th Mar 2009 9:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >