Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Controversial
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ballast

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Controversial

I don't want to be, but I can sense this might be.... Very Happy

Let me be clear, I LOVE D3's, I've had many over the years. The most recent I've owned for the last four years or so and despite inter-galactic mileage, it's been fab (and still is!).

BUT, last week, I went to look at a D4 (I've had one previously). Stornoway grey, black leather, MY10, HSE, 140K miles. And bought it....

It is without doubt a different league to the D3. So much more refined in every regard. Ok, of course it's a bit newer which makes a difference, but it's still streets ahead in so many ways. I'd like to keep both, but sadly the D3 has to go due to space and cash Sad

So that's it, no contest, the D4 wins hands down. Very Happy

I'm pleased I've been able to finally answer, once and for all the threads entitled D3 v D4, now there's a definitive answer. Rolling with laughter

Post #223105419th May 2021 8:44 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Agreed....except for one thing....
Actually two things...

Design first.... the first D3 is a timeless classic...later iterations lose some of that design status..

Two... practicality...you’ll soon be missing the practicality of the interior....from the cup holders to the stowage bins...

But if I was doing a long continental trip as the driver the D4 wins...

Post #223106219th May 2021 9:14 am
ballast

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Ah - storage you say....

In the D4, I haven't got the centre fridge (with was infrequently used in the D3 anyway), but have got a cavernous space instead where I can put all sorts of crap (never to be seen again obviously...) Very Happy

Cup holders... OK, fair point.

Interior is SO much nicer than the tractor-esque D3 though.

Post #223108519th May 2021 9:59 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

^ I agree with Farmer Chalk. Aside from those two points, the later EU6 engined D4’s are the pick of the bunch though.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #223108619th May 2021 10:00 am
SN

I agree with the D3 design classic statement - mid life kickers (which the D4 undoubtedly was) don't generally tend to improve on the original exterior - though to be fair LR finally came up with something to match the original D3 front end with the last of the D4 grills. And I still look at the D3/D4 bodyshape wistfully and with a smile even when I'm out in the New Defender - it is so clean

I never owned a D4 but did take a couple of rides in them, but interior wise it didn't feel like a great leap.

Engine... I'm sure the 3 litre SDV6 was a big improvement on the 2.7TDV6 in the D3, but as time has shown it has equally nasty weaknesses...
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #223110319th May 2021 10:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >