DISCO4.COM > General

Cornering a D3 in the wet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
gtb500

United Kingdom 
Cornering a D3 in the wet

Hi everyone

i'm new here, i'm looking into buying a D3 2.7 HSE from a local dealer, however i have some concerns.

i recently had an L200 pickup and managed to smash it up less than 3 weeks after buying it.

now that you have stopped laughing and calling me an idiot (dont worry everyone else has) the accident happened when i came onto a roundabout just after it had been raining and the back end of the truck started sliding out, i turned left to try to correct it but ended up driving into a barrier.

i would like some advice in regards to how the D3 corners and if i am likely to expect the same road manners as it is also a rather large light tailed vehicle, i had off road tires on the L200 which will not be a mistake i intend to repeat but the whole thing has me questioning large cars and cornering behavior.

also just to head of any comments i was driving normally, not speeding or doing anything that could be regarded as reckless, however i admit that somehow i drove in excess of the trucks capabilities.

many thanks

steve

p.s. any suggestions of large vehicle driving and handleing on road courses would also be appreciated.

Post #207727919th Aug 2019 8:46 pm
disco5

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

L200 were always back end happy thats why people weighed them down bag of sand or 2 in each corner,
Slow down till you have learnt the skills of the d3 its a over sized car abeit all 3ton though Thumbs Up

Post #207728119th Aug 2019 8:51 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

We went from a 54 plate L200 to our first D3 in early 2007. Since then I've driven newer L200s and their road manners didn't improve in the later models!

D3, provided you have decent tyres and the bushes etc have been replaced when worn, handles like a sports car in comparison.

As noted, it's not far shy of 3T loaded, so you need to respect that, but if you have any doubts take a look on YouTube at some of the D3 nurburgring laps Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #207729419th Aug 2019 10:16 pm
Projectblue

United Kingdom 

Firstly, welcome. Glad all it bent was some metal and your pride.

Second, L200 is a pick-up with cart springs in the back and no weight on the rear axle. With Censored tyres and a greasy road it would be easy for it to step out of line.
D3 is a much more refined animal. It's road holding is a lot more generous than a pick up truck.
That said, I have no idea about your driving experience (e.g. years) or where you live.

Lastly, back to tyres. It cannot be understated that the D3 is a heavy beast as mentioned. It wears front brakes, suspension rubbers and tyres out reasonably quickly. Be prepared for that. DO NOT SKIMP ON TYRES. They provide the friction between your car and the tarmac. You need the best you can afford.
 D3 2.7tdv6 SE Manual - SOLD
Defender 110 2.4tdci - SOLD
Defender 130 2.4tdci - SOLD
D4 3.0SDV6 HSE 

Post #207729519th Aug 2019 10:16 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: Cornering a D3 in the wet

gtb500 wrote:
now that you have stopped laughing

Whistle Wink

DSC will help .....but ultimately science wins Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #207729619th Aug 2019 10:31 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The D3 handles pretty well in the wet but good tyres, bushes and suspension are key. Thumbs Up

If you don’t need AT tyres then good road tyres are the way forward.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #207729719th Aug 2019 10:33 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Moo wrote:
good road tyres are the way forward.

And around bends and roundabouts Whistle
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #207730019th Aug 2019 10:38 pm
Chawks

United Kingdom 

I have an 11 plate L200 with all terrain tyres. It’s extremely easy to get the back end sliding in the wet but with traction control on and not accelerating hard round corners or out of a roundabout it’s no problem. The only time I made a ‘mistake ‘ was switching said traction control off and flooring it leaving a roundabout on a left hand bend. Luckily I missed the lamppost !
Needless to say you’ll be fine in whatever car you have if you drive according to the road conditions and not like a pillock Laughing

Post #207731520th Aug 2019 4:07 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I think the Discos handle quite well for what they are, the tyres can slide on wet/greasy roundabouts but you have to be pushing on a bit, in the dry you can get the tyres to howl but they keep on gripping albeit sliding but all very controllable.
To be fair any full time 4x4 is pretty good in any weather conditions.

Post #207731720th Aug 2019 5:33 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Whistle Whistle

Post #207732520th Aug 2019 6:49 am
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

The difference between the two is that the D3 does steer! But, of course you’re driving two-and-a-half tonnes with a high centre of gravity, so it will never match a sports car.

I’ve driven a number of L200’s over the years (all towing caravans), and it’s always surprised me how slow and dim-witted the steering is, even in the dry. The “new” Shogun Sport is equally as awful.

Just remember the limitations due to mass and you’ll be fine. Thumbs Up

Post #207733820th Aug 2019 7:59 am
Beretta

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

gstuart wrote:
Whistle Whistle

I was just about to post the same video! Rolling with laughter
 2010 Disco 4 HSE
- Digital Dash Club
- GAP BT IID 

Post #207734520th Aug 2019 8:23 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The D3 will be bad in the wet if you put cheap tyres on

Post #207735320th Aug 2019 8:55 am
Schtoo

Australia 

Welp, you ID10T. Just to get that out of the way first.

The tail happiest car I ever owned was by far a 1992 Hilux extra cab diseasel. Because it was gutless, it was very well behaved in the dry, but in the wet it would slew sideways without much provocation yet with such a long wheelbase (127" IIRC) it was like sliding the QEII with plenty of warning it was coming, plenty of time to catch it and usually plenty of space and nothing to hit around it.

But as previously mentioned, cart springs + no weight + less than ideal road tyres = looking down the road out the side window if you're not careful. (Or if you just can't help it, like a 20 years ago me!)

But as with any new set of wheels you plonk your hindquarters into, you drive it like it's made of glass until you become aware of it's foibles and strengths. To do otherwise is to join the club of "mangled my car within a month of getting it". It's a pretty well populated club, but few are proud of being members of it.

The short version is when you pick up the new motor, drive it like it's got greased wheels until you get a good handle on what it does, and only when there's nothing about to smack into should you try widening the 'understanding' envelope, and do it very slowly and carefully and never go anywhere near it when there's a chance it could all come unglued in a screaming big hurry.

There are plenty of cases of folks regularly driving vehicles that most of us would pirouette down the road, they're not always especially skilled it's just that they've managed to learn what they're driving and keep within the limits.

Good mate of mine had something not dissimilar to an L200, but with about 400hp. He learned that when it was wet and greasy, drive something else if at all possible. Smile

Post #207740420th Aug 2019 12:50 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It's quite fun and easily repeatable to four wheel power slide a standard D3 with MT/r tyres on in the wet Thumbs Up
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #207741820th Aug 2019 2:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >