DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Crankshaft failure On Disco4?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Fair weather 4x4er

United Kingdom 
Crankshaft failure On Disco4?

Hi all,

I have found lots of really good information on here but just wonder if I can get clarification on what I think is the dreaded crankshaft failure on my 2011 D4.

I was on the M3, cruising nicely when I suddenly heard a knocking noise. At first I thought it was one of the windscreen cowlings flapping but quickly realised that the knocking frequency tracked my pressing the accelerator. I immediately pulled into inside lane and pootled along at 40-50mph (no hard shoulder as it is a (not so) SMART motorway. The knocking got louder and then the engine just cut out, luckily just as I was approaching a refuge point, which I coasted into. The engine was dead, with just the red battery light on the dashdboard. No other warning lights came on at any point during this episode.
The engine would not turn over at all when trying to restart and I noticed oil dipping out of the bottom of the car.
I have since got the car home (6 hours waiting for RAC to rescue me!). I have not tried to manually crank the engine because, frankly, I am not that technically minded, but assuming it is a catastrophic failure.
Car has 166k relatively blemish free miles on the clock. 2011 car, owned by me from 10k miles, ex LR courtesy car., FSH.
Could it possibly be anything else do you think or shall I assume it is done for?

Many thanks for your help!
A.

Post #226201213th Nov 2021 11:14 pm
motorworks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Given the circumstances, I think you would be clutching at straws for a diagnosis other than replacement engine required.
 Chris  
Post #226201513th Nov 2021 11:32 pm
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds pretty terminal to me.

RAC, 6 hours+ not unusual with them, learnt my lesson with them many years ago and never bothered with them since. Waste of time since they sold out to Private Equity. How many RAC recovery trucks have you actually seen on the roads?

Post #226201913th Nov 2021 11:54 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Doesn’t sound good. Sad

Speak to Oval Autos if you’re thinking of replacement / recon engine. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #226203014th Nov 2021 1:48 am
Fair weather 4x4er

United Kingdom 

Moo/defector/motorworks: Thanks to you all for coming back to me so quickly and confirming my worst fears.

I can't afford a rebuild let alone a new engine and the car would only be worth 6-7 in working order anyway so not sure it would make economic sense to fix it. Much as I would like to give the old dog the viking funeral it deserves, I will have to sell it instead!

Post #226203114th Nov 2021 1:54 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Did you buy it from LR/dealership?

You cant have had it long if you only put 10k on it!
I know it's 10 years old, but it won't hurt to ask them why the engine in the car you bought has suddenly turned to mush after only 10k.

Leaving all that aside, it sounds like bearing spin leading to crank seizure, or worse. Oval Auto's are site sponsors, and on here at least are a recognised (dedicated!!) LR engine rebuilder.

You could ask Joe for his opinion, but I fear as you already suspect the repair costs if LR won't help would be uneconomical.

Infuriating bollixology, and I feel for you. Evil or Very Mad
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #226203314th Nov 2021 4:10 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I read it as the op has owned the car from when it had only 10k on the clock, ie nealy new?

Post #226204014th Nov 2021 6:41 am
Peakwayfarer

England 
Re: Crankshaft failure On Disco4?

[quote="Fair weather 4x4er"]Hi all,

I have found lots of really good information on here but just wonder if I can get clarification on what I think is the dreaded crankshaft failure on my 2011 D4.

I was on the M3, cruising nicely when I suddenly heard a knocking noise. At first I thought it was one of the windscreen cowlings flapping but quickly realised that the knocking frequency tracked my pressing the accelerator. I immediately pulled into inside lane and pootled along at 40-50mph (no hard shoulder as it is a (not so) SMART motorway. The knocking got louder and then the engine just cut out, luckily just as I was approaching a refuge point, which I coasted into. The engine was dead, with just the red battery light on the dashdboard. No other warning lights came on at any point during this episode.
The engine would not turn over at all when trying to restart and I noticed oil dipping out of the bottom of the car.
I have since got the car home (6 hours waiting for RAC to rescue me!). I have not tried to manually crank the engine because, frankly, I am not that technically minded, but assuming it is a catastrophic failure.
Car has 166k relatively blemish free miles on the clock. 2011 car, owned by me from 10k miles, ex LR courtesy car., FSH.
Could it possibly be anything else do you think or shall I assume it is done for?

Many thanks for your help!
A.[/quote]

Sounds exactly the same as mine did, when the crank failed, although you have had another 146k miles out of yours, mine failed at 20k! If you attempt to start it as the LR Tech did it will sound like a bag of spanner’s in a washing machine (my wife’s rather apt description of the noise it makes) also the oil with be full of metallic bits.
Hope you get something sorted great cars but quite a few failed engines

Post #226204214th Nov 2021 8:43 am
Fair weather 4x4er

United Kingdom 

Only 20k on the clock? Good grief! I have to say, even though I got 166k out of mine, my confidence is shaken after seeing all the stories on here, including yours. Diesel engines should be good for at least 250k. I love the car and miss the combination of comfort speed and practicality already but, where I would have considered buying a last model D4 ( i hate the D5 !), I don't think I would now. What, then, is my alternative?

Post #226205714th Nov 2021 10:47 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Alternatives? It depends if you need its 4x4 capabilities and seven seats.

There are lots of alternatives out there if you don't need the 4x4 off road capability of the Discovery. I moved to a Volvo XC90 last December having owned a D3 and D4 for 15 years. The XC90 is a beautiful built car that does 90% what my Discoveries did and is super comfy and pretty economical.

Good luck in what you decide. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #226206014th Nov 2021 11:15 am
Fair weather 4x4er

United Kingdom 

Thanks Moo, yes it is a nice car. The latest model does look a lot better than the older models and is a good size.

Post #226206214th Nov 2021 11:20 am
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Why change at all? If you like the D4, have a Land Rover guaranteed engine put in by a good garage. It should still compare well to the depreciation or lease on a new Volvo.

I do agree a Diesel engine should be good for 250K or more. Before my D3 I drove a V6 Audi A4 for 300,00 miles and it’s still being driven by the current owner. Wish you could depend on these like that.

Post #226206914th Nov 2021 11:41 am
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Lol at least 12k for the land-rover engine and fitting by independant. It will have no warranty if not fitted by franchised dealer so 16k plus
My 16 plate just having new engine fitted under warranty, not sure I could ever relax with it again so will be sold. Really need 3.5t for towing or would be straight in a xc90, looks like VW only option.

Post #226213514th Nov 2021 4:19 pm
Peakwayfarer

England 

Fortunately mine went while under manufacturers warranty but even with new engine turbos etc, faith in the product was lost (I was told the bill with labour was over £20k and that was over 3 years ago!)
My 2016 disco 4 landmark was probably by favourite car ever and bought as a retirement present to tow our caravan, but after a lot of soul searching came to the conclusion that I didn’t really need an all terrain 4x4, looked at Volvo, Toyota, VW and ended up with a BMW X5 40D, which after three years has been brilliant, economical and has need nothing apart from regular servicing and one tyre, long may it continue.

Good luck in your quest to find a replacement, or repair yours, in a way I wish I had kept mine and I still find myself looking on here and auto-trader at used ones, but if I buy another LR product it is unlikely to have the 3.0 litre engine as fitted to the disco etc. perhaps a v8 in an older Range Rover?

Post #226214214th Nov 2021 5:00 pm
Fair weather 4x4er

United Kingdom 

I will miss mine too. I like a 6 or 8 cylinder engine for smooth motorway cruising so that will lead my search.

Thanks for all the advice and information on this thread guys.

Post #226219214th Nov 2021 9:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >