Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Crankshaft oil seal failure post timing belt
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
gearmuncher

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

They say the seal should not be lubricated and I get it now, they are not talking about the sealing surface where it touches the crankshaft. they are talking about the outside surface where it fits into the oil pump, this has to be dry so it will adhere to the pump and not be pushed out by the oil pressure, I have also read somewhere that the crankshaft has not to be moved for a set number of hours after fitting,
(i read 4 hours).
also it has to be 1mm in from front of oil pump, any more and it will block the drain holes for the seal, what effect this has if the drains are blocked I don't know, maybe if they are blocked it will build up more pressure and push the seal out and if it starts moving even if the drains are uncovered it may carry on out the front of the oil pump.
there is more to fitting this seal than meets the eye.

Post #211331916th Jan 2020 3:01 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
I have looked time & time again at the factory workshop manual and nowhere does it mention you have to fit and leave for 7 hours.

Perhaps someone else can confirm this moving forward.

I done hundreds of Oil pump changes over the last ten years and not once did I leave the seal to rest before starting the engine.
As long as the seal is fitted correctly there is no problem. I have had one Oil pump fail that was supplied by the customer, a Chinese copy one. But I have had one seal leak after fitting and that was before I got the LR seal insertion kit both parts, since then never looked back.

As Disco Mikey has said if they supplied the parts and one fails then its up to them to fix it at no cost to you.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #211332316th Jan 2020 3:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >