DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

My Crankshaft Tale
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
TwoKegs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
My Crankshaft Tale

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum after joining in back August, in a state of panic after my engine and power steering cut out on me in the far overtaking lane on an uphill stretch of the M40… it was as sketchy an experience as I’ve had in all my years on the road, including riding motorcycles. I managed (somehow) to get over to the hard shoulder unscathed and was left with my thoughts for two hours as I waited for the rescue truck, going over in my mind that it would likely be the dreaded crankshaft failure that has plagued the 3.0 TDV6 and SDV6 engines.

…and bloody was. So I thought I would share my experience as it might help someone else.

Firstly, a huge thank you to everyone who shared their experiences and insight on this forum. Researching here helped me make an informed purchase in the first place and saved me THOUSANDS when the brown stuff hit the fan.

Researching in advance of buying the car, I read that the crankshaft issue was less likely to occur in the late models with SDV6 engine, but still some reports of it happening. I also read that people who had experienced the fault were on occasion successful in securing goodwill contributions from JLR HQ… with a few factors forming the basis of their decision and ultimately how much they offer. Car age, mileage, main dealer service history, purchase method (JLR dealer or not), where the request was raised (important) and brand loyalty too.

The car:
I picked a 2015 HSE in Corris grey with black leather and the black pack. I’ll add some photos soon. It had only covered 58k miles and had a full main dealer service history. An absolute beaut and in great condition. I picked it up privately from the car’s second owner (making me the third), this cost me about £4000 less than an equivalent car from JLR approved used stock. I went for this car because it was exactly what I wanted and came with full LR service history, plus I could use the money I saved buying privately to pay for the service due in a couple of month, get breakdown cover, and BUY A WARRANTY. In the 6 months of owning the car I’d only put on about 4500 miles and had the 6 year service down about 7 weeks prior to the bottom end blowing out.

The warranty:
I went for RAC premium plus at £1200 for 3 years. Trust pilot said the RAC was 4.9 star rated… but they’re the just front for it. The policy is managed by ALA and TWG… researching TWG on Trustpilot gave me a proper sinking feeling and no confidence that they’d pay out. The policy was a bit grey on some areas, wasn’t sure if I’d be covered for the crankshaft. It was actually really straightforward, but I have a feeling that was because of how I managed the problem and the order I done things.

How it panned out:
I had greenflag cover, which took an age because people were driving round the country on their holidays in august instead of jumping on plains thanks to the covid restrictions. I got towed straight home as it was late, the next morning I called the local dealership who had a 4 week wait to even look at a breakdown tow-in, so I called the local guy salmon service centre… who could look at it that week. I had it towed there the next day and their tech found lots of swarf in the oil and confirmed my fears… Catastrophic engine failure, bottom end blow out! They wrote me up a quote for a new engine at just under £19k (thanks to the forum I was expecting that, so I didn’t have an aneurism upon receiving it). I sat down with the service manager and asked him to help to put in a request for a goodwill contribution with JLR HQ, he was happy to and sent it off for me. I got a call within a few days from a nice chap at HQ and I explained what had happened and how it shouldn’t have to a car with this age/mileage/service history and very recent service, he gave me a case ID and went away to see what he could arrange for me. I wasn’t expecting much based on what people had experienced, with very few reports of people getting a viable enough contribution offer to actually have the work carried out by JLR. So I called round a few of the mechanics championed on here who were really friendly and helpful and I worked out that it would probably cost me £6.5k… maybe £1200 more if the turbos were shot… so with that info, I was expecting to go to battle with my warranty provider to have them pick up the bill. To my absolute surprise JLR HQ came back about a week later with an offer of 80% contribution. I was happy with that and had guy salmon contact RAC warranty with the fault details and the cost (minus the 80%) and see what happens. Initially RAC wanted the engine stripped and photos of the busted parts, but GS pushed back and said they don’t normally do that for a blown out bottom end and RAC accepted and issued an approval reference and gave the green light. I couldn’t believe it! It wasn’t all plain sailing as GS had to send back the first engine as it didn’t have the mounting holes drilled and the replacement was on back order, but after a bit of waiting they got the job started, I even managed to get a hire car covered by the warranty. After a week driving about in a little be polo and a nightmare finding fuel to hand it back full, I was reunited with my Disco 4 fitted with a new JLR stripped engine block and amazingly at no cost (with the exception of sleepless nights and stress) all thanks to the warranty, researching and choosing the right car, and getting it into a JLR dealer /service centre to have them raise the goodwill claim.

I was without a car for about 8 weeks and was so stressed out and tormenting myself reading forums and searching for recalls evidence, class action law suits, and wondering what on earth I would do next. I stretched myself to buy the car with savings and a loan. I would have had to take out another loan to pay for the repairs. At the time I was absolutely kicking myself for buying the car having done the research, knowing what could happen and still going ahead with it… all just to take the dog on nice walks and bring her to the seaside or on our staycations.

But, now it’s all done, to say I’ve had a right result is an understatement. I’ve got a great car, with a new engine that comes with a 2 year JLR parts and labour warranty. I’ve got 2.5 years left on my RAC warranty for anything else. I have also swerved the belts needing to be done next year (7 year) as the engine came with new ones.

My advice:
Pick the right car. Late model (probably only go for a 2016 at this point) FLRSH, low mileage, etc.
Get a warranty - check it covers crankshaft and follow the policy wording to the letter.
If things go wrong take it to a JLR dealer first and have them raise a goodwill case before you send quote to warranty.
Pray to all the higher powers and vehicular gods.
Consider whether this potential headache is worth it for you.

Now I hope to share in the joys of ownership with the forum and will post some pictures and details of some upgrades (only added side tubes at the minute)

Post #22562289th Oct 2021 11:09 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

AMAZING..VERY GOOD write up....thanks for sharing...result

Post #225622910th Oct 2021 12:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Result! Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #225623110th Oct 2021 12:37 am
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Absolute result! Well done for going through the right process... Thumbs Up

Still can't believe that they want £19k for a new engine though Whistle
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #225625610th Oct 2021 8:43 am
MrBrain

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

As much as it's a good tale, with a good ending, it's a bloody disgrace that JLR couldn't fix engine failure issues of all diesel models in over ten years, and the pot-luck warranty situation is why I wouldn't even consider buying one. Petrol for me.

I salute your patience and bravery sir! You have both in buckets more than I.

Post #225626310th Oct 2021 9:21 am
TwoKegs

nigethecat wrote:
Absolute result! Well done for going through the right process... Thumbs Up

Still can't believe that they want £19k for a new engine though Whistle

Mental isn’t it. That £19k (just under) was with all the other bits and bobs and their labour charge which was £210 an hour. The stripped engine block was £6.5k on the original quote.

Post #225626910th Oct 2021 9:48 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

Excellent...well done.

NJSS

Post #225627410th Oct 2021 10:10 am
ianm27

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Fantastic result Thumbs Up and hope you have lots of fun in your "new" D4

Occasionally, heart rules head is a win Laughing
 Uncle Ray's spare wheel protector
Limo Tint
Blackvue front & rear dashcam
Cruise control switch pack
Bodsy's remote for FBH 

Post #225632510th Oct 2021 1:32 pm
MJA

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Excellent result! However what's disappointing is that there is no reason why the new engine won't suffer the same fate.

I went a different route on mine - bought an older one with 130k on it. It was under budget and the fact it has got this far in life without failure is worth something in my mind. If it does fail then it goes as spares repairs without too much loss or I go to QP and get it rebuilt with I believe a stronger bottom end.
 Land Rover(s) : '10 Discovery 4
Other daily: '13 Seat Exeo ST 170
Toys: '95 VW Corrado VR6 | '96 VW Golf GTI 16v | '91 VW Golf GTI 16v 

Post #225649411th Oct 2021 12:35 pm
JordsDisco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 3.0 SDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Third owner of a six year old vehicle, purchased privately, buy yourself a lottery ticket!

Post #225651911th Oct 2021 3:11 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Not necessarily any more of a lottery than a one owner car. We bought ours at 18-months old, it having had two previous owners in that short time. LR initially owned it, and then a private owner for the remained of the time. That person traded it in against a brand new model. Three and a half years later, and a few more miles…………

Post #225652111th Oct 2021 3:28 pm
JordsDisco

Beg to disagree having been through the process of asking for a discretionary repair on a purchased new motor just 6 months outwith the manufacturers warranty - crankshaft sensor trigger.

Another purchased new motor, just within the 3 year warranty, I suffered disc warp and corrosion on all four wheels. Anyway, LR replaced the Discs FOC, but not the pads. Stung for £450 of a £1650 bill. Both times I went to LR Executive after getting the knock back from LRCS.

If iam reading it right, the OPs got a 6 year or car, purchased privately between 6-12 months ago, with a FSH.

I am not knocking it, quite the contrary, but it’s a bit of a lottery as quite a few on here that weren’t so lucky can testify to.

Post #225652911th Oct 2021 4:47 pm
TwoKegs

JordsDisco wrote:
Third owner of a six year old vehicle, purchased privately, buy yourself a lottery ticket!

£184m on Tuesday… that should help towards the upkeep for a couple of years Laughing

Post #225653611th Oct 2021 5:15 pm
JordsDisco

That’s got my name on the cheque. Laughing

Post #225653711th Oct 2021 5:17 pm
TwoKegs

JordsDisco wrote:
Beg to disagree having been through the process of asking for a discretionary repair on a purchased new motor just 6 months outwith the manufacturers warranty - crankshaft sensor trigger.

Another purchased new motor, just within the 3 year warranty, I suffered disc warp and corrosion on all four wheels. Anyway, LR replaced the Discs FOC, but not the pads. Stung for £450 of a £1650 bill. Both times I went to LR Executive after getting the knock back from LRCS.

If iam reading it right, the OPs got a 6 year or car, purchased privately between 6-12 months ago, with a FSH.

I am not knocking it, quite the contrary, but it’s a bit of a lottery as quite a few on here that weren’t so lucky can testify to.

Definitely luck was a huge factor. The chap from LR CRC was even surprised at the level of contribution that came down from the managers. Not sure if the circumstances of the failure were a factor, it was hairy as hell and could have been horrific (I'm surprised and thankful it wasn’t to be honest)… but the rest of the points I listed out seem to be the blueprint for a better goodwill outcome. I trawled the forums before buying the car and after the incident and most of the unsuccessful ones were where people had it serviced independently, older than 7 years, high mileage, missing services, towed it to an independent for inspection first etc. That information helped me pick the car… the goal was to avoid this altogether, but the advice to buy a warranty and tick as many of the listed boxes as possible was golden. Just want to help the other folk considering purchasing or in the same boat.

Post #225653911th Oct 2021 5:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >