Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Crossclimate 2 or SF2?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
pinkllama899

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Crossclimate 2 or SF2?

Time's come for a new set of boots after some good service from my current set of Wrangler HP All Season, sadly no longer in production.

I was thinking of switching to a set of Scorpion Verde All Seasons but saw some good deals on Crossclimate 2 and SF2s - even for the 2 days of snow we get a year.

Anyone have any experience with either that they'd like to recommend? I've heard issues with noise, fuel economy and wet performance with the Michelins and not really that much on the Pirellis.

Post #23498938th Oct 2023 2:10 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hope this helps

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/round-roadb...sclimate+2

Plus some other links where the tyre has been mentioned

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/search.php?...rch_time=0

Post #23498988th Oct 2023 3:58 pm
pinkllama899

Sadly not too many mentions for the Crossclimates and none for the SF2, hence trying a new thread.

Also happy to take suggestions for other similar spec tyres in 255/55R19?

Post #23499198th Oct 2023 10:10 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've just ordered Avon AX7's , to be delivered. Some good reviews on here.
I've had Pirelli Scorpion ATR's on for 30k miles, I wanted to try something different.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/great-new-t...hlight=AX7

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/anyone-avon...t=Avon+AX7
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #23499239th Oct 2023 8:06 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

We have Crossclimate on our Skoda Octavia. They're quiet and grip well. Winter-rated for true all season ability on-road.

The AX7 is a road-biased AT that isn't winter-rated.

So not that comparable, sadly.

For pure road use, the CrossClimate will be better than the AX7 because it's a premium on-road tyre.

I've had Pirellis over the years and found them to be very good tyres, but, sadly they have a habit of stopping producing "our" sizes for the UK market. So recommending them is tricky - one can put a set on and then struggle to find anymore when you need a couple next year.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #23499309th Oct 2023 9:32 am
jonno1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I had C/Climates on my last Disco and I have C/Climate2 on my present one. I came across them in an offer when looking for tyres after my usual Vreds became a silly price.
Nothing bad to say about them in all conditions, the C/C’s on the previous Disco were superb on the snow and ice in the Peak District last year, very reassuring, unlike the Pirellis which I had on my first D3.
It is a matter of personal choice really.

Post #23499339th Oct 2023 9:48 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have Michelin CC’s on 3 of my cars (fwd and rwd). Brilliant all year round tyre, which also wear well.

I have SUV version on the rwd saloon.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #23499379th Oct 2023 10:41 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

If one doesn't need any off road usage, then the pure road tyres will always be better than any AT on road as the AT is always compromised.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #23499389th Oct 2023 10:50 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The CC SUV is M&S rated (meaningless I know) and fine for light off road use. Especially with the D3/4 terrain response system.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/tyres/michelin-crossclimate-suv

Anyone who has done a LR Experience Day using one of their vehicles shod with the standard fit M&S tyres will know how competent these vehicles are off road, even with road biased tyres fitted.

Post #23499399th Oct 2023 12:46 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Any tyre will get you around in light off road conditions - so long as there isn't a sidewall pinch risk or deep mud both of which benefit from the more robust construction and tread pattern of an AT. Of course, with care, even stony/rocky tracks can be driven on road tyres - Hugh did the Strata on winter tyres on his RRS, after all.

LRE are set up to show off the vehicle and not to create much risk of getting stuck. Even the test tracks in Eastnor are well-founded so finding grip isn't too difficult. Compared to typical wet/muddy field margins, the tracks are like motorways in terms of grip/traction potential. The only times I've been close to getting stuck were on wet field margins where the ground was saturated and thus presented very little traction even with ATs fitted. Oh, and axle deep clayey mud once, on an off road day with a local 4x4 group who went to a place more suited to MTs. Got out every time, however, without a tow. Thumbs Up
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #23499419th Oct 2023 2:20 pm
LT

I've got a Defender 110 (last of the classics) stuck at Eastnor, had to reverse out. The LR instructor couldn't get it up the same section either. The D4 went up with no drama, that's the power of the Terrain Response trickery.

Likewise, I've navigated some pretty muddy off road conditions in my FFRR shod with Pirelli Verdre All Seasons. I did come close to getting stuck a couple of times though, hence why I have a set of AT's tyres now.

My point being that you can get surprisingly far off road on road tyres with the correct use of the Terrain Response system. Thumbs Up

Post #23499459th Oct 2023 3:09 pm
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Cross Climate is 3PMSF rated as well as M&S therefore acceptable for use in those European Countries that mandate winter tyres.

I fitted Cross Climate last winter and found them to be a good in all conditions I encountered including a trip to Austria. Also looked at Vector4Seasons but couldn't get them in the size at a sensible price.

Post #23499469th Oct 2023 3:14 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:
I've got a Defender 110 (last of the classics) stuck at Eastnor, had to reverse out. The LR instructor couldn't get it up the same section either. The D4 went up with no drama, that's the power of the Terrain Response trickery.

The truth about the Defender is that (whisper it) it's not actually that good in standard form. A modern LR product is much better in all ways except for the angles and tyre choices. That's modern electronics for you. Thumbs Up
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #23499529th Oct 2023 4:20 pm
Shaun R.

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I had the Pirelli Scorpion All Season SF 2 fitted only a couple of months ago so can't vouch for them in poor conditions but happy with them so far.

Post #23499859th Oct 2023 11:42 pm
pinkllama899

Interesting, would be good to hear how the SF2s fare when the weather turns. Especially around caterham valley

But yes, I think I may take the plunge on the Crossclimates, since people seem to have had good experiences and for my purposes on-road is all I need. Terrain response has sorted me out anytime I've been off-road.

Thanks all for the replies

Post #235040814th Oct 2023 11:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >