Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Cruise control and MPG
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Will Hay

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Cruise control and MPG

Interested to know how fellow forum members find cruise control affects their MPG.
Coming back from Warwickshire 8pm Friday night M1 90 miles to the M621 Leeds at just a touch over 65mpg I averaged circa 28mpg but coming to work this morning at 7am on relatively quiet roads I averaged a fraction under 30mpg [18 miles A and B roads and 17 motorway miles].
I always had it in my head that cruise control at a respectable speed [other than 56mph!] was optimal.
Maybe not <shrugs>
Will

Post #70225911th Oct 2010 3:17 pm
gmmcdonald

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I haven't compared on the Disco yet, but on my BMW's I have always found that Cruise Control uses more than "free footing" it. I have given it a fair amount of thought and my assumption is that whilst we are happy to let the vehicle build momentum and exceed our normal cruising speed on downhills and maybe drop below it on uphills, cruise control is not. It will accelerate if it feels the speed drops off at all, and on the converse it will deccelerate completey if it feels speed increasing thereby robbing you of any advantage you would get from the added speed on the downhill.

Just my .02c worth, hope my ramblings make some sense?
 Gareth  
Post #70226611th Oct 2010 3:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Will Hay

Makes total sense dude, although I would have preferred your two cents, rather than a fraction of it Laughing
Thumbs Up
Will

Post #70229011th Oct 2010 4:38 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

What you have to remember is that cars are stupid (and their drivers sometimes!). When on cruise control, the car reacts to varying situations but cannot anticipate. Therefore, if you go down a hill it will ease off, but to climb up the other side, it will only react when the speed drops off. Now, if the driver has half a brain, then they can anticipate that there's likely to be a drop in speed and feather in the power gently.

Cruise control great for comfort, but not necessarily for the pocket.

Thumbs Up

Post #70231011th Oct 2010 5:56 pm
ZacSmith

United Kingdom 

The D3 is so heavy that you can coast down hills and maintain 80mph easily, which does wonders for your mpg.

Post #70231211th Oct 2010 6:03 pm
anglefire

England 

Weight has nothing to do with it (Law of Gravity and all that).

In fact, a D3 will not maintain its speed as easily as say a Jag or other smooth car , due to drag being a fairly flat faced slab Whistle

But having cruise control in 4 of my last 5 cars, I can safely say that cruise is not as efficient as the foot - for the reasons stated before really.

Theoretically, no more fuel is used if the speed is kept constant going up and down hills, but in practice, it don't happen!
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #70234711th Oct 2010 7:24 pm
Blobby

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Cruise control on the D3 deffo uses more fuel than if you use your foot. I have concluded, based on not facts whatsoever, that cruise just keeps the throttle on more than if you use your foot. Simple non scientific experiment is on a nice flat stretch of road, set cruise at whatever speed and note engine note/revs, now disengage cruise and use your foot. You will be surprised just how much you can back off of the throttle while still maintaining the same speed and if you reset to Av. Mpg, you will also see the difference.

Post #70235711th Oct 2010 7:44 pm
Will Hay

Thanks folks.
A test on the way home using my foot on the M1 between J37 and J5 of the M621 produced just over 31mpg at just under 70mph Thumbs Up

Post #70236111th Oct 2010 7:48 pm
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I know a set of hills near where I live, that if you drop over the top of the first hill at 20mph, you don't have to brake or accelerate for the next three small hills. Speed goes from 20 to 50 and back again a few times. It does wonders for your MPG figure. Even the cars behind are impressed - they give me friendly flashes and beeps of the horn to show their admiration.

I've often wondered why C.C. can't be setup to give a certain throttle position, as this would be lots better for economy. It would make long down hills interesting!

Post #70240011th Oct 2010 8:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >