Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Current Draw?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Current Draw?

Anybody any ideas why theres a 0.7 Amp current draw off the battery, when the car's gone to sleep?

Went to start the car this morning and nothing, no doors open, no flashing from the indicators.

After trying to jump start it, and failing, resulted to calling the AA - who came and got it started.

Battery measured 5.3 volts, and the AA mans battery tester said it was a duff battery.
After 10 minutes of running the car the battery tester said the battery was good.

AA man then stuck his ammeter on the negative feed and there was an immediate 1 amp current draw (no engine running, car had gone to sleep, all doors closed, apart from the bonnet which was open) after a few minutes the draw dropped to 0.7 amps.
Thinking might be the alarm - but 0.7 amps for the alarm? Seems too steep?

Any ideas, before I check it into the local stealer for a fix? 60K service needed as well, so they can check it out then.

cheers all!

Post #6319445th Apr 2010 12:38 pm
Frapp

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Hi Craig
I am no sparky on vehicles, but surely it cant be sleeping with its bonnet open Confused

Frapp
 Member of the carrot crank club

Embarrassingly in for the 2nd round, bought another two

D3 Jack Russell carrier
D4 Landmark for towing duties 

Post #6319685th Apr 2010 1:54 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Frapp,
ISTR After about 2 minutes the car does goto sleep - the lights are out on the dashboard and the alarms on and the radio lights have gone out, meaning the car has gone to sleep.

Just wondering ahead of booking it into the stealers.

Cheers

Post #6319745th Apr 2010 2:14 pm
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I wouldn't have thought that 0.7 amp should flatten the battery overnight, that's only about as much as one of the interior lights draws, sounds to me like you have a faulty battery or the alternator is not charging properly.
 Clive

Post #6319765th Apr 2010 2:17 pm
Frapp

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I might be wrong,I have been before Embarassed

You say the alarm is on but with the bonnet open, is there not a sensor/switch on the bonnet for the alarm ?
If so, are you sure the alarm is on ?

Keep this up on the top of the page and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help out

Frapp Thumbs Up
 Member of the carrot crank club

Embarrassingly in for the 2nd round, bought another two

D3 Jack Russell carrier
D4 Landmark for towing duties 

Post #6319775th Apr 2010 2:22 pm
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

The alarm will be on, it will just ignore the status of the bonnet sensor, surely.

Also if the battery is 90AH, that means it can supply your 0.7A for a period of 128hours, or 5 days. You do have a problem if this current doesn't fall off at some point. I know I've left mine for 3 weeks before, so my current can't of been higher than around 150mA.

As for the AA man if he used an clamp type ammeter these can be very innacurate. To get a more accurate reading you need to measure the current directly - through an ammeter, meaning he had to disconnect the battery cable. If you are competent enough you can put your meter wires across the battery negative post and chassis. When you then remove the cars negative cable off the battery post the current will flow through your meter without any interruption of supply to the vehicle. This helps to prevent blowing your meter fuse due to high spiking currents when you first make the circuit.

Iain

Post #6320075th Apr 2010 3:31 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Is there a Tracker or similar device fitted? I had a Track Star on my D1 which would flatten a new battery in 3 days.

I got rid of it after it set the vehicle on fire.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #6320255th Apr 2010 4:16 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Did it set the vehicle on fire because it had been stolen, that's some anti-theft system Whistle

Bit drastic, but at least it prevents the 'thief' from using the vehicle, or dismatling it for parts Rolling with laughter
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #6320275th Apr 2010 4:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

disco_steve wrote:
Did it set the vehicle on fire because it had been stolen, that's some anti-theft system Whistle

Bit drastic, but at least it prevents the 'thief' from using the vehicle, or dismatling it for parts Rolling with laughter

The Track Star fire was EXACTLY 10 years to the day from when the system was activated. Question

I think it is their way of telling you that you have had it for too long and you need to go buy a new LandRover. And we thought Y2K issues were a problem!!
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #6320295th Apr 2010 4:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >