Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Cyclists
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
the kergan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I dont really have a problem with cyclists as long as they are in single file on the road, it does p Censored s me off when they ride along side eachother though.

What gets me more is the fact they and horse riders do not need insurance. I feel that anything that travels on the road and can damage your car if it hits you should be covered by insurance.

I have seen a car door kicked by a horse that kicked it while on the road, the driver was stopped at the time waiting for it to pass by and the driver had to claim on his insurance and that put his policy up the next year.
 I have something to say! It's better to burn out... than to fade away!  
Post #48604723rd Jun 2009 10:22 pm
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Just remember, cyclists and horse riders are on the public highway by right, cars and their drivers are there by license......

We have to ride side by side cos we need to chat... Laughing

Your a D3 owning cyclist... lighting the blue touch paper !!
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #48608523rd Jun 2009 11:16 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I drive around corners using my mobile because I need to chat Thumbs Up And those "Licenses" pay for the chuffing road. And the health service. And a moat or two.

As an aside, and not aimed at you Paul, why is it that whenever I hear "by right" I think to myself "there's someone who suffers from NBPE*"? I think it's because it was the ex MIL's favourite recourse when her argument lost all logic and cohesion.

(*Not Being Punched Enough)
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #48608723rd Jun 2009 11:21 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

the kergan wrote:

What gets me more is the fact they and horse riders do not need insurance.

The problem with horses and liability is the Animal Act 1971 ....it's not considered a dangerous animal yet it should be anticipated by all occupiers of the land that it may bolt under any circumstances ..... therefore the owner is not liable for any damages caused during this occurance Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #48610723rd Jun 2009 11:51 pm
the kergan

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

but this where the law needs changing really, my family had a farm for many years and let owners keep their horses there, they are lovely animals but when they get it into their heads to go off on one there is no stopping them.

I really feel for motorists that get their vehicles damaged by horses on the roads, ok sometimes the drivers are to blame. But im sure most of us have seen someone on horseback who has no real control over their horse at some time or another.
 I have something to say! It's better to burn out... than to fade away!  
Post #48612024th Jun 2009 12:21 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Quote:
Horses actually have precedence over all other road users,

POPPYCOCK

the real answer is horse RIDERS THINK they have precedence over all other road users..
 one wife.......livid  
Post #48612824th Jun 2009 12:37 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I agree ..there is guidance for passing the dumb animals and horses Whistle but we all have a relevant general duty of care eh Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #48613224th Jun 2009 12:46 am
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Having been ridden into, while stationary, by a clutch (or is it gang?) of cyclists and recieved a load of verbal abuse for the damage I had caused to their precious bikes/egos you can imgine the level of compassion I feel for the vast majority of them.
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #48616024th Jun 2009 7:59 am
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

This post has been edited by the site administration team
Inappropriate picture removed
 I can resist everything except TEMPTATION
Can Am Commander 1000XT
Seen the light and bought a 4Motion T5 

Post #48618924th Jun 2009 9:22 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

paulJ1 wrote:
Just remember, cyclists and horse riders are on the public highway by right, cars and their drivers are there by license......

and ? Rolling Eyes Thats actually irrelevent. All road users have to comply with the rules as laid out in the Highway Code. Wink
Post #48620724th Jun 2009 9:48 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

robsmith wrote:
Having been ridden into, while stationary, by a clutch (or is it gang?) of cyclists and recieved a load of verbal abuse for the damage I had caused to their precious bikes/egos you can imgine the level of compassion I feel for the vast majority of them.

I think the collective noun is a 'chafing' Wink Whistle
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #48621424th Jun 2009 10:17 am
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It is not a requirement of the highway code to ride in single file.

The main reason I ride side by side when out witha couple of mates is that it is a defensive approach to command road space, same way as when I'm on my own I dont ride in the gutter.

If you dont command road space cars pass very close, which is more dangerous.

I do agree that if the road conditions dictate that the cyclists should adjust their riding accordingly, in the same way as car drivers should.

By the way the person that put that picture up should be ashamed, people died in that incident.

The incident in the UK that killed the cyclists in North Wales, car lost control on black ice, had a bald tyre, obvioucly was going too fast for the conditions, and was not convicted of anything... if that was you son or daughter killed ??

Also, please dont start the mororists pay for the NHS c**p, cyclista also pay income tax and drive cars too.

Bottom line is that there are idiots in society, this includes cyclists and motorists...... only difference is an idiot motorist has 2tonne of metal at 70mph....
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #48631824th Jun 2009 1:47 pm
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

IMHO
In this country the vast majority of car drivers show restraint and courtesy to cyclist but some do not and I understand that, that can make some cyclists behave defensively.
But unfortunately the majority of cyclists I have met in my area ( narrow country lanes , fast B roads) show little or no courtesy to anyone else on the road, be it pedestrians, horses or cars. If car drivers did as cyclist do, then the number of accidents would go through the roof.
I can understand the keeping away from the kerb, round here they are just one pot hole after another, I can also understand two abreast where circumstances permit but refusing to move over on a single track road to allow cars past ( had this just this weekend) is not defensive its just plain rude and obnoxious. I will not even go into the consistent ignoring of traffic lights, pedestrian crossing, not signalling, riding on the pavement etc.
If cyclist want to "command road space" then be consistent don't sneak up the inside of a line of traffic ( in the gutter) at lights get to the front, then decide its time to "command the road space" and sit in the middle of the carriageway in front of all those cars you have just undertaken. Cant have it both ways and expect all car drivers to be patient and courteous to you.

Post #48633524th Jun 2009 2:13 pm
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Out cycling last night and I hear this car approaching at speed

next thing the nose of a TT is about 1' away from my front wheel Shocked

'scuse me, do you know where lakeview house is'

'what the f Censored k....'

'lakeview house?'

' jesus christ girl you frightened the life out of me....'

'eh...right ..... lakeview?'

'eh ...... f Censored k off'

' hawwwwwwwww '

women drivers eh Rolling Eyes
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #48635124th Jun 2009 2:29 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Quote:

and ? Thats actually irrelevent. All road users have to comply with the rules as laid out in the Highway Code.

sorry but when cyclists and horse riders etc start paying road tax and insurance then I'll start to show more compassion toward them,, and when they stop treating the road like we are invading their stretch of raod i might just give a f Censored ck...
 one wife.......livid  
Post #48635324th Jun 2009 2:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >