Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Cyclists
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

we've been having a long running battle down here with horse riders over a permissive path on the river gannel,

thje horey set claim it is a bridleway (which it isn't) and that they can go where they like,

athey'd turned thew whole 1 1/2 mile of beautiful path into a quagmire that is impassible on foot.

after a bit of investigation and a well worded letter in the local paper we found out that it was not a bridleway, it was a permissive path owned by the estate and on loan to the NT and that the council were turing a blind eye to it all as one of the councilors owned the stable that uses the path for it's business.

am not bias in opinion as MIL is some event horse owner that makes her living from it all so see both sides,,
Banging Head
 one wife.......livid  
Post #48635424th Jun 2009 2:37 pm
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I agree.... I always wave cars through, its just takes longer sometimes that car would like. For me its not refusing, its doing it in a way that maximizes my safety. I appreciate others may be more belligerent, but they are in the minority.

I never jump lights or ride on pavements, and agree anyone (car or bike) that does that should be fined.

We have to ride defensively as the risks are too high.

Courtesy is free, but it must go both ways.
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #48635724th Jun 2009 2:39 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

paulJ1 wrote:
It is not a requirement of the highway code to ride in single file.

Highway code Rule 66

You should

- keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
- keep both feet on the pedals
- never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
- not ride close behind another vehicle
- not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
- be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted

Now I know "Must" means it's law and "Should" makes it advisory, but it's still pretty clear on the matter.

paulJ1 wrote:

Also, please dont start the mororists pay for the NHS c**p, cyclista also pay income tax and drive cars too.

And please don't start misquoting. You were the one to raise the straw-man argument about "right" and "license" so I pointed out that the tax take on motorists pays for FAR more than just the roads that everyone enjoys. Motoring taxes are sufficient to pay for ALL roads and there is a substantial surplus towards other services in the UK.

As mentioned above, I'm a cyclist too. I ride road bikes and mountain bikes, for pleasure and commuting where possible. I despise those cyclists who want the cake, the cherry and oooh, is that another cake? The OP described something seen regularly on the narrow lanes near my home and the response from those arrogant twits is a disgrace.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #48635924th Jun 2009 2:41 pm
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Cars MUST obey the prevailing speed limits..... we all do that dont we !

For the record, I do pay road tax, I do pay insurance..... on the car I drive.

My comment on rights, and license is important in respect to the road tax & insurance, what next will we have to have insurance to walk on a pavement ???

The key point is that due to the risk of injury cyclists are best to ride defensively and command road space, i dont believe for one minute that the majority of cyclists block the road on purpose to Censored car drivers off, its too dangerous to do so, and 99% of cyclists are also car drivers.

What i do believe is that when waiting for a safe place to pass (for both cyclists and car) the car drivers get impatient... chill out, what do we loose a couple of minutes on a journey.

Main thing is courtesy....... Ive stopped effing and jeffing at motorists (unless they do something really stupid), but too many cyclists have been killed by drivers who simply were not paying attention.... not killing a cyclist is the main courtesy we request.
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #48637124th Jun 2009 2:56 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I guessed you might pay RFL, being on a Disco3 forum was the clue Very Happy

You may want to consider the accounts of how others are doing it. I too ride defensively, I don't ride in a gaggle of 10 other riders, anything up to 4 abreast on single track roads, yet I witness that behaviour in my locality on an all to frequent basis as our village is a bit of a "destination" for riders of a certain age. What's being discussed here is the poor cycling we all see, not the good, defensive cycling that you, I and a number of others on here practice.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #48637824th Jun 2009 3:12 pm
ad15

sorry but:

I pay RFL on my car- the D3

the MGA is exempt.

I pay RFL on the motorbike.

the mrs pays RFL on her car,

what you are saying paul is that because you pay for the car that should cover the bike too?? saying you pay for insurance for the car doesn't cover you for an accident you cause on your bike does it? Whistle

I actually believe that we should pay some sort of license fee for pushbikes to be on the road, I ALSO believe the pushbikes should be more accountable for their actions AND 3rd party insurance should be compulsory.

I got knocked off my £13000 motorbike a few years back, this was caused by a women on a pushbike running a red light, riding out in front of a large truck and then straight into me, she needed hospital treatment but fled the scence as she had no insurance, my bike was trashed. MY premium went through the roof as I had to claim for the damage,

the whole lot was caught on CCTV and i called the police on my brothers ( a copper) advice, the police said their was F all they could do, even though she broke the law by fleeing an accident scene.

if there had been some sort of license i'd not have been dumpred with a massive hit on my insurance..
FWIT the police did a nice letter for my insurance stating it was not my fault etc etc. made absolutely no difference,

oh and by the way, I also ride a pushbike, alot...
 one wife.......livid  
Post #48638924th Jun 2009 3:25 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

NoDo$h wrote:

Now I know "Must" means it's law and "Should" makes it advisory, but it's still pretty clear on the matter.

In HC speak though ND the context of 'should' is that you have an obligation or duty to. Although some aspects of the HC are not in statute ....the courts will still refer to it as a defining guidance document when making judgements in cases.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #48640024th Jun 2009 3:45 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Sweet. Thumbs Up
Post #48640324th Jun 2009 3:53 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 

paulJ1 wrote:
By the way the person that put that picture up should be ashamed, people died in that incident.

The incident in the UK that killed the cyclists in North Wales, car lost control on black ice, had a bald tyre, obvioucly was going too fast for the conditions,

I'm sorry I'm confused; that doesnt look like it's in the UK but more like USA, how do you tie these two together Question

I too ride a cycle and drive a car, so understand both sides (as do a lot of us) see it's more of the minority bring a bad rep to the majority and there's no easy answer to that issue.
when I'm out with the daughter we do ride 2 a breast so we can talk while we enjoy the country, however when we hear a vehicle we do get back into single file and I'll normally place myself in a position to protect her in case the driver is either an idiot, drunk or just trying to scar us ?(meaning if from behind, I drop back and be alittle further out from the road side than her; if from the front I go ahead, it shouldn't be an issue if every bodies on the correct side of the road)

safe driving, safe riding Thumbs Up
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #48645224th Jun 2009 6:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I was on my bike today, got sworn at by a cyclist because I stopped at a red light and impeded his progress Rolling Eyes

you can't win Neutral

What is this need for aggression on a bike? They should drive D3's and chill Thumbs Up
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #48647024th Jun 2009 6:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoboy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

No matter what form of transport you use, the only way you will get courtesy on the roads and live to be old is by driving/riding defensively and understanding your own vulnerability. If only everybody would do the same Confused

As a car driver, motorcyclist, cyclist, pedestrian, sometimes drunken pedestrian, I try and act defensively and let the anger tw*ts heart attack themselves into an early grave.

I am definitely more observant and defensive on a motorbike/pushbike.

Post #48674325th Jun 2009 10:45 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...theCar.wmv

Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #48740226th Jun 2009 12:51 pm
ad15

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter brilliant, i want someone to lean on mine JUST so i can do that... Bow down
 one wife.......livid  
Post #48741926th Jun 2009 1:19 pm
RPG

United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

I use the Carma, baby 8) Thumbs Up
Works for parking tickets, too Thumbs Up Laughing

Post #48742426th Jun 2009 1:24 pm
Mike40

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

According to figures published by the Greenies a D3 produces 275g/km of CO2.

However a cyclist produces 40g/km of CO2 and 7 of the Censored riding together produce 280g/km.

Getting 7 people in my D3 means it is a less polluting then a bunch of cyclists!! Laughing

Now add in the fact that a cyclist is burning 3 x the calories I am just sitting and chilling out in my D3, which means he has to eat 3 times the amount I do and is therefore more responsible for the clearing of rainforests to grow more food…. Thumbs Up
 ------------------------------
"Ruby" Rimini Red
Rimini Red 06MY TDV6 S
Xenons, Bright Pack, Climate Pack,
BAS Magic Box and Remap
ITG Air Filter
ERG's Blanked (Woody32)
Huge Permagrin

Suzuki GSX1400, Triumph Daytona 1200, Yamaha RD500LC, Norton 850 Commando, MV Agusta 1090 Brutale, Honda Hornet 900, Honda 600 Tansalp, Matchless 750, AJS 650CSR......plus very understanding wife! 

Post #48745326th Jun 2009 2:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >