Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

D3 intermittent drive issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
colmcd

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
D3 intermittent drive issues

Looking for some guidance. Car has recently started showing three intermittent drive issues. Have had car to independent and wheel bearings etc are ok. Did need one wheel balancing. Under 80K miles done.
Problems:
a) from stopped, traffic light/junction, car sometimes does not pull away properly - starts very slowly for several metres and then suddenly picks up.
b) when driving, even on flat, it sometimes does not complete going through the gears by not shifting up from fifth to sixth. Runs higher revs and then after a while, variable, it will shift up and revs drop.
c) at speeds above 60 mph a drone will start that gets deeper and more pronounced and becomes a rumble from under the floor. There is some steering wheel vibration develops at higher speed still but drone/rumble does not alter in pitch. Definitely not from wheels or corner components. No dash lights show up.

These do not happen together, are each intermittent and seem to reset when car has been left for a while. Any thoughts welcomed.

Post #229140212th May 2022 8:51 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Has the Indy Checked for any fault codes ?…..The drone/ rumble from the floor area ….have you checked the rear propshaft centre support bearing ? The rubber can split/ deteriorate causing the prop to not run as smoothly as it should. Mind you, could also be front or rear diff noise ( wear and tear / low oil).
I have had the intermittent low power when pulling away, in my case, it was an egr valve sticking open occasionally. A code reader might help you find out which one, if yours is faulty. I replaced the duff egr valve, but some people blank them off instead.
The auto box does not usually shift straight up to 6th gear when engine / gearbox are cold, it holds in 5th until warmed up a bit. If yours does still not shift up to 6th when warm, then that is not right.
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #229140612th May 2022 9:24 pm
carbore

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi,

I agree a scan is a allways a good idea.

But for any gearbox issue like yours I always post re the "sticking gear selector issue". I had odd shifting for a while and it was the selector. Its about as cheap and easy fix there is on a D3 so one of the rare "just try it and see what happens" type jobs if you dont get any codes from the scan.

Id say mine had the first two of the issues you say, maybe not the rumble, but you could do worse than start with the selector linkage . Lots of posts here on it to look at.

This is the definitive guide

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/autobox-gea...ox+linkage
 Disco 3: Lotus Elise S1: Ferguson T20: Audi A2  
Post #229174115th May 2022 7:32 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >