DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

My D3 Spec Upgrade (very long)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Cyprus 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hiya Jack2006

The headlamps do indeed work fine as standard Xenons do, And without a flicker if you change the CCF setting too. But as you say there is nothing to control the Stepper motors in the headlamps or in my case turn on the Corner lamps.

On studying the Circuit diagram you discover that the adaptive circuit is fairly self contained, with a number of twisted pairs going from the control module to each light connector (occupying otherwise unused pin sockets), and the only connections to the rest of the wiring is a power and ground and a Can Pair over which the adaptive head lamp ECU can get all the other data it needs. The steering angle sensor is already fitted as it is used by other systems and is only shown on the Adaptive wiring diagram as its info is heavily utilized by the ECU. So connectivity / retro integration wise it is simple enough.

Physical integration wise, i have studied the wiring for the Adaptive circuit first hand because i am lucky enough to have a spare engine bay wiring loom for a V8 variant that has it. All the wiring is contained in this loom which already passes through the bulkhead behind the CJB (fuse box) where the ECU is normally mounted.

While i could cut open this V8 loom and extract the wiring which for ease i could then loom up as an add on loom, i would then deface a perfectly good loom i think would be better left intact. I could buy a TDV6 loom with adaptive and replace mine but they are expensive and replacement in the bay is not an easy job.

So, although in the upgrade you see here i have stuck close to as per OEM as possible i think for the adaptive add on i would go custom and aim to mount the ECU up near the lights (with some additional waterproof enclosure) and make a custom loom to suit its position and tap into the existing loom for the 4 connections needed.

Of course for this i would need the connectors and pins, fortunately the ECU connector is the same one as used for the Hevac and i have one of them and the pins, for the back of the headlight connectors i only need the pins and i have a few ideas to get these.

So why have i not already done it?
Well i don't yet actually have an Adaptive headlight ECU. These seem quite rare on D3's although Sports have them more often. If anyone knows to one, please feel free to let me know Thumbs Up

I could of course always buy a new one, but then that is the easy way out and not exactly in keeping with the spirit of my attempting to show what can be done on a budget.

It is therefore something i will keep as an open opportunity to add as and when i can.

Post #5045186th Aug 2009 5:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
discoBizz

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

My two pence worth of Bow down and Thumbs Up BBS! Top job!

Maybe the start of a good aftermarket manual??? (at least electrics-wise)

Post #50602411th Aug 2009 2:33 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jack2006

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks BBS SPY for info. The twisted pairs are for the stepper motor assembly which looks like a bipolar one on the unit I have so driving it without the ECU would be easy enough but depends what info comes down the CAN bus.

I managed to buy a secondhand standard bi-xenon drivers side light unit last week with the bi-xenon lamp fixed. The only differance between the standard unit and adaptive is that the adaptive has an aluminium frame that holds the lamp unit and allows it to swivel using the stepper motor. Also has the blank replaced in the sidelight to take corner halogen lamp.

The standard bi-xenon has 2 simple metal brackets that bolt the lamp assembly in fixed position instead of the aluminium frame. Like yourself I think that I will go for the adaptive setup, so now only need to find a drivers side adaptive bi-xenon unit and control ECU. I did wonder if the steering sensor was used elsewhere and thanks for conformation.

Because my loom is standard I think it will be the route BIZ has suggested and making a seperate loom to carry the adaptive setup. Like you say though biggest sticking point will be getting an ECU. As an end note the bi-xenons are now fitted (one adaptive and one standard) 10 minute job and working fine. Also switched over for my holiday in France next week, no more stick ons, that don't!.

Cheers Jack

Post #50668413th Aug 2009 8:03 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I can get you the ECU for £95 + Delivery
I can also the the lamps for £680 + Delivery a pair if anyone want some
Discounts available for order of 5 or more
 The End  
Post #50674313th Aug 2009 10:02 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Fortunately for me, a member has contacted me with one spare he is generously willing to let me have, which will sure aid me in figuring out whats possible or not for everyone, else i might have taken slimer up on the offer as that really is a good one. Like 2 thirds retail, Cheers Chap dunno how you do it Thumbs Up

Because of this units imminent arrival i have now spent a little more time looking up some more detail.
Fortunately for me although i have a full yearly subscription for GTR, i don't have to hope the site is up or suffer the download wait as i have it all served locally off a 32GB USB stick Thumbs Up

Seems that with Adaptive you get dynamic headlamp levelling which requires 2 twisted pairs from the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) ECU and another untwisted pair from that ECU to the headlamp, handle the swivel on cornering. The cornering lamps however are driven by a couple of FETS in the body control.

So i could have wired that bit up all along. Big Cry

Have to have a look at my old halogen headlights and see if its possible to retro fit corner bulbs in there, and of course i will know if the FETs are in the basic body control when i try to wire them up, might even do a test first on the output pins.

Sounds like you had a good physical poke around in your lights Jack2006, did that look possible in yours.

On the, CAN bus front i can (no pun intended) enlighten you a bit.
Although diagnostic data handling is done on the same network typically that takes a low priority to the normal traffic, the normal traffic can be up to 2500 messages per second and each ECU eg the staaring angle simply transmits its data onto the bus at regular intervals. an arbitration mechanism for each message stops ECUs transmitting at the same time and causes ECUs to wait their turn to transmit their data. Of course each ECU also listens to whats being transmitted by all the others and filters out anything its not interested in.

The AFS is no different, when plugged in it will listen to steering wheel rotation infor being transmitted by teh steering wheel angle sensor just like the ABS ecu does, it will also take in road speed and air suspension height info and use it all to calculate what it should be outputting to its height and swivel motor outputs.

Of course all these messages passing on the bus have differeing header info that is unique to each manufacturer and figuring out what is what is why i have spent near 5 years of study and development on Land Rover CAN bus technology.

Just nice to get to put some of it into practice now Rolling with laughter

Post #50694113th Aug 2009 6:32 pm
jack2006

Slimer wrote:
I can get you the ECU for £95 + Delivery
I can also the the lamps for £680 + Delivery a pair if anyone want some
Discounts available for order of 5 or more

Agree with BBS that the price is good for ECU. If you could let me know Slimer the details for payment etc. Thumbs Up

Only purchased a month on the GTR site so some frenzied downloading took place over a week, think I got it all!

On page 142 of manual shows the adaptive setup and as you say BBS SPY the pairs are used for levelling and separate wires for the swivel. On my adaptive unit the lamp could be moved gently from side to side but not up and down so looks like the motor for levelling is geared? I thought it was fixed but just popped out after reading your post and had a look at the adaptive and non-adaptive and the adaptive has its lamp unit angle slightly up, O dear! Big Cry Looks like the standards might have to go back on for now.

With regard to the cornering lamp the Halogen headlights have the reflector plastic scored to take the corner halogen but it would probably need the headlamp unit sepearting to cut out. The standard Xenon unit has a blank fitted and I did manage to remove mine using long nose pliers through the rear access cover. Unsure if the halogen lamp holder would be a standard part (would think so due to OEM cost down).

Yes the FET's they seem to have used in various places is the Infinion PROFET BTS443, I used to use the BTS542 a few years ago for designs and one advantage is its thru hole mounting where the BTS443 is surface mount. If you could let me know BBS SPY how you get on seeing if these are fitted in the junction box it would be appreciated. Otherwise its a PCB and soldering iron time!

Before this project is over I reckon that I will be getting a diagnostic unit (or the business, it always needed one for me to play with!!)

Thanks Jack

Post #50698613th Aug 2009 8:05 pm
jack2006

Flicker with Bi-Xenon

BBS SPY wrote:
Fortunately for me, a member has contacted me with one spare he is generously willing to let me have, which will sure aid me in figuring out whats possible or not for everyone, else i might have taken slimer up on the offer as that really is a good one. Like 2 thirds retail, Cheers Chap dunno how you do it Thumbs Up

Because of this units imminent arrival i have now spent a little more time looking up some more detail.
Fortunately for me although i have a full yearly subscription for GTR, i don't have to hope the site is up or suffer the download wait as i have it all served locally off a 32GB USB stick Thumbs Up

Seems that with Adaptive you get dynamic headlamp levelling which requires 2 twisted pairs from the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) ECU and another untwisted pair from that ECU to the headlamp, handle the swivel on cornering. The cornering lamps however are driven by a couple of FETS in the body control.

So i could have wired that bit up all along. Big Cry

Have to have a look at my old halogen headlights and see if its possible to retro fit corner bulbs in there, and of course i will know if the FETs are in the basic body control when i try to wire them up, might even do a test first on the output pins.

Sounds like you had a good physical poke around in your lights Jack2006, did that look possible in yours.

On the, CAN bus front i can (no pun intended) enlighten you a bit.
Although diagnostic data handling is done on the same network typically that takes a low priority to the normal traffic, the normal traffic can be up to 2500 messages per second and each ECU eg the staaring angle simply transmits its data onto the bus at regular intervals. an arbitration mechanism for each message stops ECUs transmitting at the same time and causes ECUs to wait their turn to transmit their data. Of course each ECU also listens to whats being transmitted by all the others and filters out anything its not interested in.

The AFS is no different, when plugged in it will listen to steering wheel rotation infor being transmitted by teh steering wheel angle sensor just like the ABS ecu does, it will also take in road speed and air suspension height info and use it all to calculate what it should be outputting to its height and swivel motor outputs.

Of course all these messages passing on the bus have differeing header info that is unique to each manufacturer and figuring out what is what is why i have spent near 5 years of study and development on Land Rover CAN bus technology.

Just nice to get to put some of it into practice now Rolling with laughter

BBS SPY You mentioned in your earlier posts that you had to re-program an ECU to prevent the xenons switching on/off at start. Just wondered of this was due to the system monitoring the supply to the headlamps and because it has a surge for ignition and then lower power (35W compared to 55W) the system kept re-checking before settling down?

Reason for asking is my Xenons switch on/off several times before starting and after about 10 minutes the passenger side shuts down and I have to turn lights off then back on. Removed the lights and connected to a Car battery for about 1 hour each and they worked fine with no flicker on start or shutting down. So is it a mode in the vehicle?

On a side note connected a bipolar stepper drive to the adaptive headlight and motored the lens (level adjust) back to similar position as the fixed Bi-Xenon, so thought I had cracked it until the passenger light shut down etc! Big Cry

Post #50999720th Aug 2009 8:30 pm
SDDave

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

BBS Spy,

I have read your upgrade post with great interest!!!

This is my first so let me introduce myself, I am Dave Wilkinson, MD of Southdown 4x4 Products Ltd. Like you I love a challenge and have recently reshelled a base spec D3 on coils with a SE shell, complete with all the goodies. We do like to make Rods for our own backs dont we!!! Didn't want air.

Finally finished and apart from disabling the the air suspension ecu, etc; everthing works .

Everthing apart from the Logic 7 sound and nav system that is .

Now I have retained all the main ecu's and low line dash from the original vehicle to aid registration and keep the vehicles identity.

When I turn on the ignition the stereo and sat nav will work for about 30 seconds then shuts down. Presumably it requires a hiline dash? Did you come across this problem when you up graded yours?

Did you have to fit a New hi line instrument cluster or manage to re-configure a second hand one? I still have the hi line one from the SE.

Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Dave.

Post #6336519th Apr 2010 6:03 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya Dave
Thanks for posting in.
I am so pleased to read and see the ever growing number of members who seem to have been inspired by this post to have a go at upgrading their Disco 3's equipment spec to varying degrees.

My D3 had a hi line dash as original, so i honestly can't say if this is your problem of not. It could be, but it could also be something else including the lack of correct CCF configuration to suit your new hardware.

As you have the Hi line dash from the donar, what i should be able to do is program it to suit your vehicles identity using an "As Built" file and then enable all the CCF bits you need enabling. It will cost you but 2 way shipping to and from Cyprus and a few quid for the labour, however it will be vastly less than any other option. Thumbs Up

Post #63492812th Apr 2010 4:32 pm
SDDave

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

BBS Spy

Sorry for the late reply, I have been busy with work, retrofitting my CNC mill in the evenings and keeping every one happy indoors, I haven't turned my PC on for a week.

Now what you propose sounds very interesting, I would willingly ship it to you in Cyprus.

If you could PM with your address and exactly what details you require of me it would be much appreciated. Thumbs Up

Look forward to hearing from you.

Dave

Post #63990122nd Apr 2010 7:53 pm
K9Harrier

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

OMG Shocked

I just can't believe you have done that.

Amazing! Bow down

Post #7260454th Dec 2010 7:25 pm
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Thanks K9Harrier Thumbs Up

It looks a lot i guess, and the photos with the interiour stripped out look scary, but it's really all just clips, screws and plugs.

As long as you take your time and adopt a methodical and sensible approach on stripping the bits out, taping screws to parts, labelling bits, using little bags and boxes to keep things together and organised, taking a few notes about sequence etc, it's really not difficult, quite fun and very educational. And of course you end up with a vehicle that has all the bits on that you somehow sem to enjoy more knowing that you fitted them.

If you enjoyed reading this thread about my modifications, there are some follow up posts you might not have noticed.

This was shortly after, when i got a Logic 7 AMP and su updated the spec from High line to the finally intended Logic 7 (Very Nice) also i fitted Memory mirrors.
[url]http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic37595.html [/url]

This was when i fitted the wiring and control ECU to the the Adaptive Headlights and set up the corner lights.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic44435.html?highlight=

Finally and most recently i have started on a similar project to upspec a Range Rover. This time including the Full RSE stuff. I am well into over half way there and have got all the parts, set them up on a bench and got them all working, but sadly other unexpected work commitments have put the project temporarily on hold.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic54655.html?highlight=

Post #7263285th Dec 2010 3:44 pm
navydevildoc

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Colin, not to bring this thread back from the dead... but I am interested in the MOST connectors and fiber optic cabling.

I am planning on retrofitting Sat Radio (SDARS) on my 05 LR/D3 here in the states. Since I didn't have telephone integration I don't have any MOST cabling in the back trim panel, and I am going to need to insert the SDARS tuner into the MOST ring somewhere. Since the only other thing the tuner needs is 12 volts, I could put it anywhere convenient.

But, these don't look like regular fiber optic connectors I have seen before. Where did you get the new sections and connectors... from an existing loom?
 2005 LR3 HSE - ARB Bumper, Warn XD9000, Custom Rock Sliders and Skid Plates, BBS Faultmate MSV-2 Extreme, Kenwood TMD-700, etc, etc,
1965 Series IIA 

Post #76573923rd Feb 2011 6:26 am
BBS SPY
Site Sponsor 

Hiya navydevildoc

I did not know this thread had died Big Cry

Before i posted up this thread, the standard answer to any query as to upgrading a D3's electronic specification was always a flat "it just cannot be done, or at best, not economically viable" Hence i also posted up my costings too. But then before we introduced the only equipment capable of modifying the vehicles configuration, i guess it would have been impossible.

I know what i have done is far more than what most would be willing or able to tackle, but never the less, since i made this post, loads of members began to add all sorts of electronic upgrades to their Disco 3's and doing so is now almost common.

I can but hope this thread provided them with the inspiration and confidence to do this and hope it still provides a lot of inspiration to owners as to just what can ultimately be achieved. I also did some other follow up, upgrade stuff like Logic 7 and AFS.

In respect of the MOST bus connectors, yes i did use some bits from existing looms to produce what i wanted for my upgrade, and for a while, this became a stumbling block for many seeking to add or upgrade their own Electronic / Infotainment equipment.

However, i also managed to solve this problem for everyone too, and posted up everything you could ever wish to know about getting hold of the MOST bus parts of the loom quite cheaply.

This is the thread you need Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic45557.html?highlight=

Post #76648924th Feb 2011 5:27 pm
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

BBS Spy,

I'm hoping you can help me as you've stripped the dashboard... my top level vents dont work at all so no air comes out. The car has been in for a service today at the dealer and they say there's no fault codes logged and the only option is to strip the dashboard as a rod may have been dislodged from an actuator or something is jammed. I've tried zooming in on your photos in you gallery to see where stuff is but naturally you've had to decrease the resolution down to post, so the image pixellates.

Can you recall where the heater actuators are, any connector rods, flaps etc? Or can you post/email a high resolution image of the centre vertical console stripped (the one taken through the passenger door - file 46).

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #76654024th Feb 2011 7:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >