Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

D3 Underbody Protection
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Stevie D

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
D3 Underbody Protection

What's the opinion on underbody protection for D3?

Is it necessary for Green Laneing or non damaging off road courses?

Has anyone damaged the underside of a D3? If so, serious/expensive to repair?

Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions.

Post #5317598th Oct 2009 9:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

A sumpguard is probably a good idea Stevie as the intercooler is quiet vulnerable, other than that the standard underbody protection is more than adequate for most green lanes or off-road sites
 The End  
Post #5317658th Oct 2009 9:44 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Obviously different environments project different risks. Here in remote western Oz we can find ourselves very isolated so the consequence of a problem is much greater. After a broken compressor cover on a large (iron ore) rock, on went an alloy compressor cover. Ditto for robust side rails an even an alloy transmission plate after good scare or two. The extra bits do transmit some extra noise though. Also, on earlier D3's, shortened suspension arms can effectively keep the readily damaged bits further from large objects. I'm still trying to find some plates to protect the exhaust pipes here they cross under the suspension (long deep-rutted roads can and do cause crushed pipes).
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #5318759th Oct 2009 5:02 am
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sump Guard is the obvious first buy. I think with all of these things it's just like an insurance policy you buy it in the hope that you don't really need it, but if you do need it you're glad you've bought it. You need to look at your use of the vehicle - are you going to take it off road, how often and where.

There has been plenty of talk about protection recently. A couple of the forum members have started a company called GN Vehicle Protection and they are selling sump guards and sill protectors. Also RLD a forum member makes and sells sump guards and other bits of kit. There is also the "original" Mantec plate, but I think you'll find it quite expensive compared to the GN Vehicle Protection or RLD plate. I've got one of the first GN plates and it's a cracking bit of kit.

You can look RLD up on the forum and you can find info on the GN Vechicle Protection on their website:
http://www.gnvehicleprotection.co.uk you can also contact NeilD or Bigcarpchaser o nthe forum (they run GNVP)
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #5318999th Oct 2009 8:23 am
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If you are going to get one item, then my recommendation would be a front underbody plate.

Although I can only say with certainty it has helped me once - that once was enough. I hit a hidden rock in mud on a very wide and open area. (And I say once as that was noticeable - for all I know it could have help on many more occasions).

And if you want another reason for having one? Well, a couple of years ago my parents were driving through Belgium (Pug 206) when a piece of metal fell of the lorry in front, bounced and pierced the sump/engine...so a front plate would help in that situation. Maybe "one of those things", but I have seen enough debris scattered around roads over the years to think it is not a 1 in a million chance of it happening.)

As Stu says - its a type of insurance.

I also have sill protectors as the plastic ones were getting pretty beaten and scratched. But I doubt you will face that problem with greenlaning. But you could very well scrape the underside on offroad courses.

The spare wheel actually does a good job of helping to protect the rear (and it doesn't seem to get damaged) if you drop in a (small) hole/rut.

The more you put on - the more you will ne "insured".....and the more you will need to keep dismantling to clean out all the mud and crud you will collect... Laughing
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #5319229th Oct 2009 9:21 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The only protection I have ever used is the front protection plate. For general green lanes, it is useful. Quite often you will be driving in ruts, and the raised centre of the track will be running much closer to the bottom of the front bumper than on say a Defender. This means any rocks that are sitting in the middle will hit the underside of the bumper first.

If you have a protection plate then the risk of damage is reduced.

Post #5319259th Oct 2009 9:29 am
Stevie D

Hey Guys,

Nobody got a view??

Anyone fitted sill covers? Are they neccesary??

Anyone seriously damaged their D3 off road?

Post #53421813th Oct 2009 11:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco_doozle

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What do you guys think about this one.....???

I use an RLD skid at the moment, nothing bad about it...

but this one in one piece seem to be cool.....

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal,  
Post #53427614th Oct 2009 9:04 am
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

8) Nice find DD!

Who makes it?
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #53427814th Oct 2009 9:10 am
flinty99

England 

Stevie D wrote:
Hey Guys,

Nobody got a view??

Anyone fitted sill covers? Are they neccesary??

Anyone seriously damaged their D3 off road?

I seem to recall AndrewS had some pictures showing the Sill damage he found after removing the standard plastic covers. Im sure they will be in his gallery somewhere.
 For details on the next Kielder Safari click visit the Kielder Safari website

Sold: HSE-G4, Tangiers Orange. (one of your 5 Discoverys a day)

Member of CFT 

Post #53428514th Oct 2009 9:19 am
disco_doozle

Belgium 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

tanters wrote:
8) Nice find DD!

Who makes it?

Manufacturer: N4 Offroadparts

http://www.n4-offroad.com/BLLand.html

Just called local dealer
€413.00 ex VAT or £388.34 ex VAT
IMHO..... Shocked Shocked

Bet RLD or GN could do better... Whistle
 Disco 3 TDV6 Aut. 7 seat, Zambezi silver, Privacy glass, Rosen A9 DVD, Tow-kit, K&N airfilter, Frontrunner Windcheetah + 4xHella Comet 550, tailgate ladder, 5 breaklights Smile, Performance BB6 17" + Duratracs 256/70R17, RLD Skid-plate, Traxide second battery setup, Lightguards, BAS EGR's blank kit, BAS Silicone hose, Black bonnet decal, 

Last edited by disco_doozle on 14th Oct 2009 9:43 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #53429414th Oct 2009 9:36 am
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Stevie D wrote:
Nobody got a view??

Well, I thought there were a few replies and views given... Confused

If in doubt - fit them. (What price for piece of mind ?)
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #53429514th Oct 2009 9:37 am
Stevie D

I think everybody agrees that a sump plate is neccessary and possibly sills.....

But has anybody actually damaged anything else under the car?

The diff is pretty high up under the chassis, I guess it could be damaged if the car dropped onto a rock or similar? But has it actually happened to anyone?

Post #53430414th Oct 2009 10:19 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You seem to have quickly progressed from "Green Laneing or non damaging off road courses" to more extreme stuff Steve Rolling Eyes

I'm not aware of anyone having smashed up a diff off road yet, protection plates are available though.
There's been a few dented fuel tank guards which have been straightened and reinforced (tank itself is plastic so pops back into shape once the guard is sorted), a few dented air tanks and exhausts. Nothing really major, most of the traditionally vulnerable stuff is high up or already protected
 The End  
Post #53431214th Oct 2009 10:40 am
Stevie D

Thanks Slimer, just interested for future reference!!

Post #53431414th Oct 2009 10:43 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >