Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 4

My D4 has arrived!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
eaglesrest

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
My D4 has arrived!!!

Well I picked her up on Friday and have had a cracking first weekend. No pictures unfortunately, the bad weather put paid to that - I should have taken some in the showroom, doh!

D4 HSE, Black with almond/nutmeg and black trim. Adaptive Headlights, RSE, TV, Tow Pack, privacy, surround cameras, heated steering wheel.

I'll start with the positives, of which there are many:

As so many have reported, the engine is a belter. Average MPG has been 31.4 after a trip to Scarborough which is pretty good as its still not run in. Performance is a real surprise. I pulled out of a junction from a standing start and thought oh cr*p! I'll get flashed cos of the lag, but no, it was instant power all the way. Not a hint of lag Smile

Interior is very similar to the range rover sport and previous gen range rover. The leather in the HSE is of real top quality as is all the trim and finish. Steering wheel is also a huge improvement both in tactile feel and comfort. The buttons are easier to manipulate for cruise etc. On the subject of cruise you can now tell what speed you have it set to and see each button push increase/decrease by 1 mph which is useful.

Satnav looks the same, but its not. It has quite a few more features like traffic surveilance, and the calculation speed is near instant. Mapping data is also well up to date now with 2-3 year old roads added for the first time.

Bluetooth works perfectly with my iPhone 3GS, as does the iPod interface (exception below).

DAB is very good, and I've been surprised at the reception quality. I've not lost a signal yet.

RSE is mainly positive. The Logic 7 sound quality with a DD5.1 DVD is fantastic. Probably due to the smaller environment but it sounds better than my home setup. The subwoofer really blasts the bass for sound effects and the surround is realistic. It kept my daughter well entertained all the way back from the coast, although we did get a commentary and had to listen to shrek as I'd forgotten the headphones. Doh!

Handling is vastly improved - you actually feel like its worth having a bit of fun on a country lane. In my D3 as much as I liked it, I never felt like it was even worth trying. Ride definitely feels a bit firmer though.

Cameras are a novelty I think. It's quite difficult to use them and unless you know what your doing might actually be a hazard. The tow hitch and reversing camera are useful though.

Smart key access and keyless start is ace. I know people have had issues but I love it. Stick the key in my pocket as routine and thats it.

HBA hasnt activated yet so no comment. I like the principle.

Ok onto the niggles. Tailgate wouldnt close on receipt so I couldnt lock it. Dealer has kind of fixed it but its still not 100% as we still need to apply more pressure than on the D3, meaning it bounces open half the time.

RSE DVD player is fussy. Most Region 2 DVD's work but not all and no multi-region Sad. It can also take ages for the stack to load once you've made a change. iPod cable was the old one and doesnt support charging of my iPhone 3GS (even though I told the dealer to order the proper part - dont think he believed me).

Auto climate control insists on having the air-con on. You turn a/c off the auto goes off. The D3 had an eco option which was great as it allowed automatic distribution of air without a/c. Seems to be a step back to me as I don't like wasting fuel on a/c in winter/spring/autumn plus it gets too cold with a/c.

Has anyone got the auto air-recirculation feature mentioned in the manual? It includes a pollution sensor but its not on mine, which is a surprise as its an HSE.

It's still a bit noiser at speed than the new RRS and FFRR.

Overall though a fantastic machine that just keeps making me smile Smile

Post #5443302nd Nov 2009 4:30 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Get your profile updated Wink
 The End  
Post #5444672nd Nov 2009 8:02 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Eagesrest
I have D4 HSE and it does not have the auto recirc either. Suspect it may be for a diffrent market. What is HBC.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #5445992nd Nov 2009 9:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
eaglesrest

Thanks for confirming Russell. HBA is High Beam Assistant

Post #5446772nd Nov 2009 10:20 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Thanks.
The high beam assist works very well, I live in a remote area and have been very impressed with that and the Xenon lights, big step forward.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #5448723rd Nov 2009 8:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

As regards the AC light being on when auto is selected.....the new D4 has an electric clutch which properly disengages the AC pump when not required, this will only engage if the temperature in the car rises above the temp that you have set on the dial(s) requiring cold air to cool.

TBH I don't see how you could have a genuine climate control system if the AC couldn't kick in to cool the car when required. To stop the AC kicking in just have the temp control a little above ambient.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #5450883rd Nov 2009 2:40 pm
eaglesrest

Ah right I didn't realise that, good info. It did seem to be cooling even at 22 when the outside temp was about 10 so I wouldn't have expected the ac to kick in, but will monitor it.

Post #5451943rd Nov 2009 7:01 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

can you turn HBA off Question
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #5452413rd Nov 2009 8:15 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Yes

Post #5452483rd Nov 2009 8:21 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ah Winger......so much said in so few words!!!

Either the main light switch not in auto or moving the dip column switch to any different position with HBA will cancel this function.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #5453083rd Nov 2009 9:25 pm
eaglesrest

or you can untick HBA via the car setup options using the right joystick controls on the steering wheel.

Post #5453273rd Nov 2009 9:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >