Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

D4 camping set up recommendations?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Svenb

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
D4 camping set up recommendations?

Looking to up my camping game beyond my normal “fold seats flat and sleep” routine, and I need some guidance on simple and “cheap” mods/investments.

I like to sleep in the D4, (I found a folding futon mattress that fits perfectly!) and it would be great to still be able to use the car while leaving the tent/gear set up so I was thinking a drive away awning to store the gear and dog, then I can just drive off without packing everything away. I’ve got a budget of £150-200 for a 2nd hand one, any recommendations?

I’m also looking at installing a leisure battery - but not sure where I’d put the battery? Where have you guys put it?

Any other suggestions for mods that will improve my quality of life when camping?

Post #20802262nd Sep 2019 11:39 am
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

All depends on whether you have stop/start or not. If not then you can fit an auxiliary battery in the 2nd battery box under the bonnet. If you have then you need to look for somewhere else. This is usually behind the rear passenger side boot panel.
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #20802272nd Sep 2019 11:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RBB

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I use a Kampa tailgate awning for exactly what you describe....
Gives around 2m x 3m extra space, new they are around £250 for the pole version, zip it up and drive away, very waterproof and easy! Couple of my mates have seen mine and bought them ....

Click image to enlarge

I have also fitted an Aux leisure battery with a split charge relay etc in behind the nearside quarter panel in the boot... Volt and ammeter, twin USB sockets, and a 12v cigarette lighter type socket, and additional lights

I also have a pull out "camping box" which has a 230v hook up, storage and houses the cooker etc built from ply and covered in car carpet type stuff, works really well and keeps everything organised!

Post #20802322nd Sep 2019 12:08 pm
Svenb

Will look into that awning! I wouldnt mind something a tad bigger though, i do a lot of water sports so would be great to have the space to change in/out of a wetsuit.

Last edited by Svenb on 2nd Sep 2019 12:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #20802332nd Sep 2019 12:09 pm
Svenb

Andy Foster wrote:
All depends on whether you have stop/start or not. If not then you can fit an auxiliary battery in the 2nd battery box under the bonnet. If you have then you need to look for somewhere else. This is usually behind the rear passenger side boot panel.

I should have mentioned its a 2010 XS, so no start/stop. I'll update the original post to show the model!

Wheres the 2nd battery box? Don't remember any obvious spaces last time i looked under the bonnet.

Post #20802342nd Sep 2019 12:10 pm
Grumpydog

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

It's not glaringly obvious. On the drivers side, opposite the battery is another square box. If you remove the lid you'll find the ABS pump in there and space for an extra battery.
 2004 Disco 3 HSE TDV6
2015 Audi Q5 S Line plus
2008 Audi A4 Avant S Line Black Edition. Gone
2005 Chrysler Grand Voyger. Gone 

Post #20802502nd Sep 2019 1:47 pm
RBB

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Svenb wrote:
Will look into that awning! I wouldnt mind something a tad bigger though, i do a lot of water sports so would be great to have the space to change in/out of a wetsuit.

Its plenty big enough, with the tailgate down you have a handy table for cooking on etc, my 6'4 wee boy comes along and sleeps on a camp bed in it, and its more than high enough to stand in !

You may have noticed the boat plenty of room for wet gear etc etc

Post #20803122nd Sep 2019 5:56 pm
kaney

A Caranex none on their site yet sold out due to either closed down or new models anyway they was in the region of £400 i have one which has ground sheet and extra poles used once and sprayed with waterproofer We have a caravan and just swapped the Defender 110 for a D3 because we needed 5 seats I was going to use it for visiting shows but now the Defenders gone i won't be going anyway i will be selling it for around £200 maybeebig Dave can sort out delivery if you want it see youtube for better ideas about them

Post #20803312nd Sep 2019 7:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >