Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 Carputer install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
D4 Carputer install

As many of you are aware by now i just cant leave me car alone lol.

So ive decided to fit a Car Puter Very Happy , I will use it for DVD, Diagnostic tools, Internet and almost everything when at the many Landrover Shows i go to throughout the year.

Im going to have it so i can play DVD while connected to the rear head rest screens for the kids, and also send the signal to the NAV screen, i may add another screen slightly larger that could possibily fold out of somewhere im unsure yet. Ill update the thread with some pictures as i go.

Anyway, this is the PC i got. I must say the shipping was superfast and the email support from the company owner was fantastic.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...K:MEWNX:IT

Our Complete Core Duo system is the most powerful that we offer. It features a 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo Penryn CPU, supports Direct x10 video via the X4500 series graphics, dual independent video (1 digital source and 1 analogue), dual GBE LAN, an astonishing 10 hardwired USB 2.0 ports for all of your USB devices, internal Bluetooth and B/G band 802.11, Automotive Grade M2-ATX PSU, 2Gb DDR2 RAM at 800MHz, 250Gb SATA II Hard Drive, and USB Slot Loading DVD Combo Drive.

Case Extruded Anodized Aluminum measuring 10" x 9.25" x 3.125"/254mm x 235mm x 80mm More Info
Processor P8700 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo Mobile 25 Watt CPU with 3Mb L2 cache 1066MHz FSB
Graphics Built-in INTEL® GMA X4500MHD Graphics (For DX10)
Chipsets INTEL®GM45 Northbridge
ICH9M Southbridge
Audio Integrated ALC888 HD Audio CODEC with 6-Ch Sound + Composite/RCA Line Outputs
USB 10 USB 2.0 Ports 6x Rear/4x Front
LAN 2x 10/100/1000 Mbps
BIOS Intel BIOS 4mb flash memory

Rear Panel I/O 1x HDMI
1x VGA
1x DVI
2x 10/100/1000 LAN
2x RS 232 COM
6x USB 2.0 ports
3x Audio: Line in, Line out, and Mic in
Composite/RCA Line Outputs

Monitoring and Management Power Management (Supports S3 standby)
Fan Speed Control
Wake on USB
Wake on PCI
Wake on LAN
Wake on Keyboard
Wake on Mouse
Hard Drive 2.5" 250Gb SATA II
Memory 2048Mb/2Gb 800MHz
(Supports up to 4Gb)
Automotive Grade Smart PSU Connects directly to the battery,
Voltage regulation,
Automatic Start-up More info
USB DVD Combo Drive Slot Loading DVD Combo Drive
5.25 x 5.25 x 0.5" W x D x H
Built-in Bluetooth-Exclusive Feature Internal V1.1/1.2 Vista Compatible,
5m/20' Range
Internal WiFi B/G Band
External Antenna with 2m/6' Extension

Also Included 6 pin metal locking power harness
Users Guide and wiring diagram
Master Driver Disk
Detailed system build sheet
LCD monitor power cable
DVD drive power cable
Compatible Operating Systems Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
Operating temperature 0°C - 50°C
Warranty 6 Months

Post #62752825th Mar 2010 11:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I had the same case and PSU, albeit with an Atom processor, on my first carputer build. The fans had to work overtime with that processor, so you are going to need a LOT of airflow to keep your one happy. the mini fans on the front panel really have their work cut out keeping the RAM and CPU temps acceptable and the noise (because of the small fan size and high speed) was quite noticable.

Do-able, but you need to be aware of the possible issues Thumbs Up

Cracking spec too Bow down
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #62753226th Mar 2010 12:20 am
bellautos

Thanks for the info, im new to carputers so all advise is welcomed.

What do you think is an acceptable temprature ?
At the moment with it sat on the bench running for about 4 hrs loading software so far the CPU is arround 18-20 and the System/case i assume is 36-38.

Ill possibile take the back of tomorrow and have a peep at the fans to see what in installed already, im hoping to put it under the front drivers seat where the DVD would be on the D3.

Pete

Post #62754126th Mar 2010 12:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

http://www.pbus-167.com/ Gives consistent temp readings. Those temps seem low; have you tried running any applications to turn it up a bit? Google Earth is a great test of what a processor and graphics card can handle, as is Quake Live. Both will get the CPU and memory working.

The case slides off, or rather the base plate complete with the Motherboard etc slides out, although it's fiddly. I'm suprised they didn't spec an SSD rather than a HDD, although that would run hotter of course. Biggest issue for carputers cooled with fans is that cars are a very dirty environment, so you need to ensure you have your bios set to switch off at the first sign of overheating otherwise you can have a fan bearing fail and see the CPU fry in a couple of minutes.

You're going to have fun Mr. Green
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #62755226th Mar 2010 12:53 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Just noticed - they seem to have changed the case slightly and it looks like the fan draws in from the side? It MAY be passive cooling, but I'd be surprised if it is
Post #62755326th Mar 2010 12:55 am
bellautos

I didnt see any fans in the ends of the case that were noticible, but i will take it apart tomorrow and see.
I could have got the SSD instead of the HDD but its easer for me to make a drive image/clone for backup and restore easer with a spare sata drive of the same size so to have a plug and play spare as it were.

I was running a peice of software a few mins agao and i say the cpu temps just crawl to 40 but as soon as the process stoped it wentback down again.
I got a peice of software with it called My Guard that gives temps of the cpu and system with fans speeds etc, but it seems ive either only got 2 fans, 1x cpu and 1x system fitted or i have 1 not working as the software shows 3 fans but only 2 work Confused
As soon as ive got it apart ill see whats in there with a bit of luck.

What do you class as a safe temp to set the bios to ?

Pete

Post #62755726th Mar 2010 1:01 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Fail temp is 105c for that processor. Wouldn't run the CPU above 75 - 80c to be safe. The temps you mentioned are VERY low. I'll try your software on my netbook and see how it compares with the 50-55c I usually see on this.
Post #62756626th Mar 2010 1:20 am
bellautos

Thanks NoDo$h, that would give me a good base to go by.

Pete

Post #62757126th Mar 2010 1:33 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Just ran Core Temp and my CPU is 38c, case temp hits low 50s as running an SSD and only passive cooling n(based on me running some apps that give it all a bit of a stretch). Seems your system is well set up for cooling, muchos respect as only a couple of years ago that case could get very warm with a much lower spec. Mind you, processors have really come on in the last couple of years.
Post #62757326th Mar 2010 1:51 am
bellautos

Ive just installed the software you use and the temps are , CPU=40C HD=26C the software i got with the pc gives CPU=38C HD=21C

Ill put it upto some work tomorrow and keep an eye on the temps, your App is a cool little App Smile

Thanks for your advice and help

Pete

Post #62757426th Mar 2010 1:54 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

All well within range Thumbs Up

The issue of different temp readings has been around for years. This thread reminded me to run a couple of apps to make sense of the readings I had been getting up to now - which are skewed by running 2gb of ram and a "hot" ssd in a 9" netbook!
Post #62757626th Mar 2010 2:02 am
bellautos

I just ran the same app on my CF29 thats been on since 8am and i instantly got temps and a pop up warning of 80c Crying or Very sad
Ahh well it does get some stick ill just keep a eye on it, but it may be why i get a bit of freeze about this time in the day with it.

Post #62757726th Mar 2010 2:06 am
ids

England 

Nice mobo specs. I have just been installing a similar atom dual core+ht system in my D3

what software you plannng to run ? I'm running centrafuse 3.1 and it's v good although I'm guessing you have factory nav and all your wazzu stuff to consider and run

I found my case would not go under the seat so ended up installing behind the left hand side rear panel making use of some of the towing electrics and aux power feeds for 12v and 12v ACC feeds for the psu. Also in the process of creating a small loom to allow three types of power switching and isolation for it so I ca have it running in normal car mode, always on and off modes.

Don't suppose you know of an ELM type interface that will work with a D3 to get information off the canbus so I can have a go at coding a centrafuse app to replicate the 4x4 info on a d3/4 for us 'poor' folk without factory screens/ nav etc?

Post #62759526th Mar 2010 8:44 am
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Very expensive pc. One of these would do the job at a fraction of the price.

Pom

Post #62760026th Mar 2010 9:15 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Add an M2 ATX PSU for intelligent power switching on the ignition and you could be on to something there..... Mr. Green

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10917
Post #62762626th Mar 2010 10:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >