Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

D4 Oil level-thoughts idea
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
les-goose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
D4 Oil level-thoughts idea

Thinking aloud, with D4 electronic dip stick and D3 manual. Does the D4 oil drain tube fit in same place as D3 dip stick tube. Presume this has been thought of yes convert D4 tube to D3 dip stick. If for some reason this is a no go is it possible to adapt a dip stick to fit in Oil drain tube of D4. Even if it was to just use for to check oil level then removed for the next time you needed to check it.

Post #203557610th Mar 2019 11:27 am
Fireburst

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi

I have a Renault Master camper van, every time I go to start the engine a message comes up on the dash saying "Engine oil level OK" it may be worth doing some research to see how its done on the Renault engine. Thumbs Up

Post #203558510th Mar 2019 11:53 am
adam

United Kingdom 
Re: D4 Oil level-thoughts idea

les-goose wrote:
Thinking aloud, with D4 electronic dip stick and D3 manual. Does the D4 oil drain tube fit in same place as D3 dip stick tube. Presume this has been thought of yes convert D4 tube to D3 dip stick. If for some reason this is a no go is it possible to adapt a dip stick to fit in Oil drain tube of D4. Even if it was to just use for to check oil level then removed for the next time you needed to check it.

Why? - D3 dipstick is crap - never had an issue with D4 oil checking
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #203559210th Mar 2019 12:08 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Yeah Renault have for years have oil LEVEL gauges or level checks more recently. Thumbs Up

Shame about their cars

Post #203559510th Mar 2019 12:18 pm
trev 1

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Come on Les keep up! dipsticks are old hat now, it will tell you when it wants oil or stop Crying or Very sad does ya truck have one?
 Serbian Silver 2011 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6 8 speed auto  
Post #203574310th Mar 2019 8:48 pm
TwoSheds

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

IMHO, a dipstick is more useful because it not only gives you a quantitative check on your oil but also a qualitative one. I miss rubbing it between my fingers and looking at the colour...

So I for one have often wondered how easy it would be to retrofit a dipstick and would probably buy a reasonably priced kit if there was one...

Disco4, Disco2, R1200R, CBX600FX, multiple Ham radios, and several bicycles...

All that lot and a tool fetish means that I seldom have more than two brass farthings to rub together. 

Post #203582711th Mar 2019 8:05 am
tcr4x4

United Kingdom 

My work lorry has a digital level sensor and a dipstick, but you have to raise the cab to get to it, which is a pita.
So when I first got it, I relied on the digital readout...
Until it went for a service once and they said it had no oil in it Shocked

The level sensor was faulty and said it was fine when it wasn’t.
Also often in reverse it says it’s empty when it’s not.

So now I just raise the cab and check!

Post #203583111th Mar 2019 8:15 am
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

TwoSheds wrote:
IMHO, a dipstick is more useful because it not only gives you a quantitative check on your oil but also a qualitative one. I miss rubbing it between my fingers and looking at the colour...

So I for one have often wondered how easy it would be to retrofit a dipstick and would probably buy a reasonably priced kit if there was one...

100% agree!!!
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #203583211th Mar 2019 8:21 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

It is unquestionably a bad design, but not as bad as the oil pressure light, what’s the point of having a warning light that tells you you have no oil pressure? - it might as well say you have just blown the engine Shocked
25 years ago I had a ML Merc that warned the driver the oil was low before it was empty and without any driver input , and it had a dip stick.
I have tried inserting a dip stick in the oil extraction pipe without success Big Cry
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #203584311th Mar 2019 8:55 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Is this the tube ur talking about in the pic

Would a net curtain wire be any good to take the oil level , or 2-3 mm plastic tube , wonder if the jag or Citroen engines have them

Also see the Citroen engine is quite different , even the cross over pipe and turbo actuator

Post #203584611th Mar 2019 9:04 am
Bardley

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Bicycle brake cable?

M3DPO wrote:
It is unquestionably a bad design, but not as bad as the oil pressure light, what’s the point of having a warning light that tells you you have no oil pressure? - it might as well say you have just blown the engine Shocked
25 years ago I had a ML Merc that warned the driver the oil was low before it was empty and without any driver input , and it had a dip stick.
I have tried inserting a dip stick in the oil extraction pipe without success Big Cry

Have had a think about this, and maybe a bicycle brake cable will slide in? They're pretty thin. Just the cable mind, not with the outer.
 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #203587911th Mar 2019 11:09 am
les-goose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

trev 1 yes all our fleet have them but as tcr 4x4 has said had a few showing ok then gone for service and its been a different story with faulty sensor. Dipstick might be old hat but its as safe as anything in making sure the oil is there or not.

Post #203599711th Mar 2019 5:38 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Bicycle brake cable?

Bardley wrote:
M3DPO wrote:

Have had a think about this, and maybe a bicycle brake cable will slide in? They're pretty thin. Just the cable mind, not with the outer.

I tried a curtain flexible wire, there appears to be an acute angled bend near the bottom that nothing will pass and nothing shows on the wire, maybe she’s very low on oil Twisted Evil

Below is a photo taken from a previous post of mine, where the pipe goes into the sump, it has a simple push on/ squeeze off connection, to the left can be seen the sump drain plug, in my case the connection was not sealing properly, by removing cleaning and refitting it made a seal, but left unexamined it could have been disastrous, if this is the bend the wire will not go past there should still have been oil on it.

It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #203603711th Mar 2019 7:30 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi m3dpo

Would be good if they done a Tee to replace that elbow so u could then run a tube up for a dipstick

Or to leave the elbow alone and if it’s easier removing the sump plug and putting a fitting there with a tube going up, incorporating a low level switch wired in above the sump for an early warning indication

Sump plug I see is a M14x 1.5, see there are a lot of various fittings

Hope u don’t think I’m interfering , just always find it interesting Laughing

Post #203644213th Mar 2019 5:11 am
TwoSheds

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

TwoSheds wrote:

I had an idea yesterday - I used my brake bleeding tool - a vacuum one - to suck some oil up that tube for inspection...

It felt like thin, black, muddy water.. And the car had supposedly received a full main service 7000 miles ago.

It made me wonder if the service actually included an oil and filter change, and then I thought 'well how would anyone know if they use the sucky method?' Sad

So does anyone else have any suspicions of garages charging for oil changes that never happened?

Rog
 Disco4, Disco2, R1200R, CBX600FX, multiple Ham radios, and several bicycles...

All that lot and a tool fetish means that I seldom have more than two brass farthings to rub together. 

Post #203803718th Mar 2019 1:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >