Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 Sat Nav in Europe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pearsor19

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4
D4 Sat Nav in Europe

Finding it very hard to get an answer from my dealer as to whether my D4 satnav has Western Europe maps preloaded on the HDD. Does anyone know whether this is the case or if I need to pay a visit to the dealer for a download?

Post #7591199th Feb 2011 5:15 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Yes, mine has - personally know it's fine in France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Switzerland. Just be warned though, the TMC seems to warn of heavy traffic/delays for the opposite side rather than your (the right-hand)side Confused Ahhh, don't you just love Land Rovers Laughing
 LRs are a fond memory, apart from the maintenance.  
Post #7591219th Feb 2011 5:23 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Try putting in an address (i.e. in France for example) and see if it plans the route.

Post #76190515th Feb 2011 1:29 pm
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

We are in Bavaria at present having travelled through France and Belgium and Germany to get here in our 3 week old D4 8) No problems it finds addresses, post codes, POIs etc and according to how you input your preferences it then offers you a choice of three routes.

Some things I find a bit old technology BUT the motorway system is fantastic - it shows you in the second window "bars" with either exit numbers or restroute names plus if you highlight the "bar" it shows what facilities are available at the rest area. Each bar has how far it is to travel and how long before you get there and as you pass it it drops out and the next one comes in at the top of the window - very handy for planning your next stop.

One thing it pays to do BUT isn't essential is to select the country you wish to search in - speeds up the search process - Another nice touch is the voice says "Welcome to Germany" or which ever country you are entering when crossing the border.

Altogether not as disapointed as I thought I would be having used Garmin for many years and in my other car I use our Garmin 7200 - an absolutely brilliant system which the LR HDD falls short of.

BUT generally I would give the LR HDD a Thumbs Up
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #76194715th Feb 2011 2:40 pm
pearsor19

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for everybody's help. Once again this forum is far more useful and informative than the dealer network. I agree the D4 satnav isn't brilliant and could be improved upon, but it's not the worst I've ever used. Just really annoying that you can't plan a route 'offline' using a laptop and the download to the car's HDD. Oh well. Thanks again everyone.

Post #76209715th Feb 2011 8:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >