Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 Traxide Kit & Dual Battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
RichardB

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
D4 Traxide Kit & Dual Battery

My new D4 arrives next week (touch wood). One of the first things I'd like to do is add a dual battery for when we are away in August.

From reading around here, the Traxide system seems to be the best/most straightforward approach. But I have a couple of questions that those who have done this might be able to provide some guidance on.

1) Traxide website in Aus seems to indicate D4 kit provides for wiring in a second battery in the boot ('rear luggage space'). Is this right or can the D4 still fit a second battery into the spare box in the engine bay? (Bearing in mind I don't have the D4 yet so cant actually see.)
2) If there is space in the engine bay, does the Traxide kit fit to this without modification (shortening cables etc)?
3) Is there a UK distributor for these kits?

Thanks

Post #67052511th Jul 2010 11:06 am
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Dont think a D4 now has the room the D3 had, tried to look up previous threads but am sure the spare Battrey box is now used for something else Question

As for Traxide Kit, not sure...........I have a IBS system from OFFROAD-TRADING, not cheap, but it will do what I need it for once I get the battrey.

Post #67053311th Jul 2010 11:52 am
RichardB

MacLeod 313 wrote:
Dont think a D4 now has the room the D3 had, tried to look up previous threads but am sure the spare Battrey box is now used for something else Question

Ah, that's a bit of a shame Sad I sort of suspected something like this from the Traxide site. When I did a look under the bonnet in the dealers, the black box that the spare battery seems to fit into in the D3 still looked like it was there but, of course, I didn't open it up so I've no idea if its been filled up with other stuff Confused

Guess I'll have to wait until Friday to see what's in mine.

Post #67053711th Jul 2010 12:00 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Richard, you CAN move the bits that are sat in the Aux Battery slot on a D4. It's a bit daunting to be doing so with a new car, but guys on AULRO have done it with pics and a write up.
Then you can use the Traxide kit for the D3 instead (I've got the Traxide kit, very easy to install & works a treat Thumbs Up )

No UK distributor, but Tim (Drivesafe on this forum) ships happily to UK. Thumbs Up
If I move to a D4 at some point, then that's the route I'd go rather than taking up boot space Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #67055311th Jul 2010 12:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardB

Bodsey, thanks for the info. Clearly not quite so plug-and-play as with the D3 Sad I think I'll have to have a look at things when the car arrives. Also, I'll have a good look at AULRO (Hopefully, the allow Pommie guests Wink )
I'm not really very keen to use the boot up for this as it's bound to get in the way when 3rd row need to be used or when 2 row are knocked down.

Looks like I won't get around to this before we go away on summer hols though.

Post #67057811th Jul 2010 1:17 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If I had a D4 I would be moving the stuff around. Make sure ou seal the module well. at least spray it with plastic coating if you take it out of the cover. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #67059311th Jul 2010 2:09 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Richard, sorry not meaning to spam, but with my D4 kits, you can use a battery in a battery box and place it in the rear cargo area, using the D4’s anchor points to keep the battery secured.

When not in use, simply remove the battery box and you have both your 3rd row seats back.

My D4 kits are fitted with out needing to drill any holes and if you use a battery box as described above, again, there are no modifications needed.

When the battery box is out of the D4, you would never know there is a dual battery system fitted.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #67164413th Jul 2010 10:28 pm
DingMark

Iraq 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

About a week ago, I installed the Traxide D4 kit with the battery in the back. Actually the kit I got allows for 1 battery in the rear of the D4 and another battery in a trailer, both charging on the D4's alternator. I had previously installed the standard D3 kit with the battery up front, in the box. The kit is a doddle to install and the instructions are excellent (although note that the HSE has a footwell light panel that needs to be removed). It took about 3 leisurely hours to do.

Having had both kits, I now prefer having the battery in the back, instead of under the bonnet. I got a much heavier 120 A-hr battery installed, which wouldn't have fit under the bonnet. It was also a less expensive battery. I can also take the heavy (seems about 50kg) battery out when not in town. I have already managed to drench a portion of my engine in sandy, salty water (oops) and therefore felt it best to leave the electronics where they are.

What may be the biggest issue with the rear mount battery would be in hooking a winch up to the aux battery and drawing the current "backwards" via a long cable. In the next week I'm due to attempt installing a hydraulic winch so this won't be a problem.
 Jim Dowell - D4 HSE TDi, 12,000 hydraulic winch & hidden winch mount, MTRs, TyreDog, Traxide 2 x aux battery system, fixed air compressor, Dolium roof rack, MitchHitch.
RIP 2005 D3 HSE V8 5 seater gold (stolen and torched) 

Post #67169414th Jul 2010 4:55 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

DingMark,

ChrisTyler installed one of the first hydraulic winches to a D3, I think there's some pics & info on here somewhere Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #67174714th Jul 2010 9:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardB

drivesafe wrote:
Hi Richard, sorry not meaning to spam, but with my D4 kits, you can use a battery in a battery box and place it in the rear cargo area, using the D4’s anchor points to keep the battery secured.

When not in use, simply remove the battery box and you have both your 3rd row seats back.

My D4 kits are fitted with out needing to drill any holes and if you use a battery box as described above, again, there are no modifications needed.

When the battery box is out of the D4, you would never know there is a dual battery system fitted.

Not a problem, useful information and the idea is growing on me for the rear/removable fit as I don't need the dual battery always installed. Mainly needed for weekends away. It's likely I'll be in touch one I've had a play with the new motor.

Post #67185314th Jul 2010 4:27 pm
RichardB

DingMark wrote:
About a week ago, I installed the Traxide D4 kit with the battery in the back. Actually the kit I got allows for 1 battery in the rear of the D4 and another battery in a trailer, both charging on the D4's alternator. I had previously installed the standard D3 kit with the battery up front, in the box. The kit is a doddle to install and the instructions are excellent (although note that the HSE has a footwell light panel that needs to be removed). It took about 3 leisurely hours to do.

Having had both kits, I now prefer having the battery in the back, instead of under the bonnet. I got a much heavier 120 A-hr battery installed, which wouldn't have fit under the bonnet. It was also a less expensive battery. I can also take the heavy (seems about 50kg) battery out when not in town. I have already managed to drench a portion of my engine in sandy, salty water (oops) and therefore felt it best to leave the electronics where they are.

Thanks, that's really useful info. As noted to Drivesafe, the removable/rear option is growing on me. I don't really want to get in to wholesale rearrangement of electronic modules (guts) that are now installed in front box. What type of battery have you gone for (presuming its not the Optima Yellow top but guessing it's some deep cycle type...)

Post #67185414th Jul 2010 4:32 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi again Richard, because the battery has to be in a plastic box, you can fit any type of battery you want.

Just a suggestion, over here a lot of rally car owners are going to Toyota wreckers and getting Prius batteries and fitting them. They are very light compered to ordinary batteries but apparently work quite well.
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7 

Last edited by drivesafe on 15th Jul 2010 2:17 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #67188514th Jul 2010 6:09 pm
RichardB

drivesafe wrote:
Hi again Richard, because the battery has to be in a plastic box, you can fit any type of battery you want.

Just a suggestion, over here a lot of rally cars owner are going to Toyota wreckers and getting Prius batteries and fitting them. They are very light compered to ordinary batteries but apparently work quite well.

Now that's an intriguing. Recycling a Prius. Makes a D4 truely green then Smile

Post #67203414th Jul 2010 11:25 pm
StepanT

Czech Republic 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Bodsy wrote:
... guys on AULRO have done it with pics and a write up.

Bodsy, do you have direct link? I can not access AULRO at all Crying or Very sad
 D3 LE James Cook, 2,7 TDV6 auto  
Post #69654024th Sep 2010 11:36 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

StepanT

Here's the link....

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/d3-d4-rrs/102180...ost1220759
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #69654924th Sep 2010 12:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >