Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Do all D4’s have trailer stability control as standard
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
alan morgan

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

hi on my 2011 disco when you plug in the trailor lights it does not inhibit the parking sensors but there is a button marked p just below the clock to the right which turns them off.

Post #19798961st Sep 2018 4:00 pm
Andy500

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi All,
So I managed to get everything working correctly after a quick chat to Sargent. It seems that although my caravan does not have ATC fitted I still had to connect the ATC lead on the box as that’s where it draws power from! This isn’t mentioned in their instructions but from the response on he phone with Sargent I think it’s pretty common!
So I now get the flashing trailer symbol along with the indicator light, rear fog light is overidden correctly still. I haven’t tried if it prevents any off-road modes but I’m much happier the car is now seeing the caravan. Only thing that is still slightly annoying is that I still get the rear sensors on, my drive and road mean a bit of reverse but not the end of the world! Mine doesn’t have front sensors so I don’t have a button to turn them off.

One other weird thing is that if the drivers door has been open a minute then when I shut it if flashes th rear lights on the caravan, happens regardless of the ignition being on or off and only does it on the drivers door. Also does it with or without the vlm box fitted to the caravan so must just be something on the car. Again doesn’t bother me at all just seems funny I only noticed as it was dark otherwise I would never have known!

Post #19800021st Sep 2018 9:41 pm
fester

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

just bought a 2011 d4 and its fitted with 2x 7 pin sockets and my caravan is fitted with a 13 pin socket so i had to use a adapter.My caravan is a 2010 swift with led lights,so i tried it today to see what happens and i get nothing on the dash to say its connected but my rear sensors do not work when plugged in and rear fogs dont work which is good also i can run my caravan off my car 12volt and the fridge works spot on so should i be worried there is no trailer light on the dash or just live with it

Post #202941217th Feb 2019 3:52 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

It is a legal requirement to have a warning if the trailer indicators fail, either visual or audible - green trailer light on the D3/D4, or aftermarket device.

Post #202943217th Feb 2019 4:40 pm
fester

is it oh i will get the 13 pin socket on and programmed and see what happens then,i suppose resistors on the caravan indicators will solve my problem
thanks

Post #202943717th Feb 2019 4:54 pm
Andy500

Take a look on the Sargent website, the resistor box and light control units aren’t expensive and are pretty much plug and play. Sorted all my issues out no problem. There is/was a selector tool on the website whereby it lets you type the caravan and car combo and tells you what you need👍

Post #202944117th Feb 2019 5:16 pm
fester

thanks for the reply i will take a look when im back home

Post #202946317th Feb 2019 6:43 pm
Andy500

https://sargentltd.co.uk/shop/product/led-...l-unit/240

These are the units👍

Post #202949917th Feb 2019 8:13 pm
fester

i have email them with my details but my caravan is a 2010,i looked on ebay and found the same light unit but one that takes a normal bulb so i have ordered 2 of them,just hope its only the indicators whats causing the trailer light to not light up,thanks for the info though

Post #202950117th Feb 2019 8:17 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Go to your local Swift dealers, they should have a board supplied by Swift to test your tow electrics and tell you which VLM box to buy, if you are lucky the dealer will also have boxes in stock
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #202953417th Feb 2019 9:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 
Re: Do all D4’s have trailer stability control as standard

Andy500 wrote:
I’m not sure how to tell if it’s on or working? Hopefully won’t need it! I have just bought my first Discovery a 2009 3.0TDV6 GS. It is brilliant at rowing my swift Eccles 590, all led lights are working but there is no indication on the car that it is connected.
I have one of the Sargent vlm boxes in order so that hopefully the car will see it and indicate something on the dash. However I was wondering if my car will also have her stability control on it?
Thanks

Did you fing out if your D4 has the stability system fitted, quick way to find out is if it has surround cameras it probably does.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #202953517th Feb 2019 9:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fester

got an email back they must not sleep..Thank you for your email.

The VLM units are designed to be fitted to later Swifts with the C44 road lighting fuse board, the 2010 conquer had our wiring but not our electrical equipment, I believe.

In principle one of the VLM4 units or new the VLM6 unit would work (depending upon the load of the LED lights – the VLM units are specifically designed to work with new Swift vans, although they do have some range in which they will work), however you are missing the plug connections in your harness to connect to them. We unfortunately do not supply any conversion kits or plugs and terminals separately. You may be able to find a dealership willing to retrofit one for you, you may also find that some tow bar companies can supply another manufacturers solution.

I hope this helps.

Post #202955217th Feb 2019 10:13 pm
Andy500

Hi Russell,
Yes it appears that sadly mine does not have it although in honesty I can’t see where it needs it if you load it sensibly and drive it sensibly too!

Fester sounds like it will be the low circuit resistance on yours due to the LEDs. Good luck getting it sortes. And let us know how you go on. You can always test the car on a standard light board or trailer if you have access to one.... that’s what I did to prove it was the van and not the Disco.
Cheers

Post #202957317th Feb 2019 11:38 pm
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

All D4 have trailer stability control. It is a function of the basic ABS/traction control ECU. Whether a trailer is detected (dashboard light showing when indicating) is not a requirement for trailer stability. You can connect a trailer to the vehicle and not connect any electronics and stability control will still function. The detection of the trailer allows for different gearbox management and a few other tweaks.

Post #202970718th Feb 2019 12:33 pm
James W

United Kingdom 

Yep, what he said ^

Check this out:

D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #202979118th Feb 2019 3:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >